|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Loyen, Tork, and Smilla in terms of ambition and determination. Consider:
Essay Topic 2
The setting in Smilla's Sense of Snow plays a strong role in many ways. Choose one of the following questions to answer.
1) Describe how is Smilla's character different if she grows up in a urban setting like Copenhagen rather that the vast and rural Greenland?
2) Analyze the author's use of Section headings The City, The Sea and the Snow. Discuss how the novel is different if those are not included.
3) Choose three settings from the story and discuss them in relationship with Smilla's need for wide, open spaces and nature. Explain how each setting serves a specific purpose in the context of the story.
Essay Topic 3
While Smilla's pursuit of justice in Smilla's Sense of Snow is portrayed as doing the right thing, there are instances in the book where she steps outside of what is considered moral and accepted behavior. Comment on the following events and analyze Smilla's behavior and decisions.
1) She steals from and blackmails Jakkelsen.
2) She sleeps with Lander, who is married, while she is also sleeping with Fojl.
3) She accepts money from Moritz against her better judgment.
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)