|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Smilla's Sense of Snow, the protagonist says, "It's only the things you don't understand that you can resolve. There will be no resolution". She makes this comment as she watches Tork float out to sea.
1) Explain what Smilla means by this comment. Does she wish she does not uncover the truth?
2) Discuss whether or not Tork's imminent death is justified.
3) Compare Tork's death to Isaiah's.
Essay Topic 2
Vulnerability and self preservation are traits that bond Smilla and Isaiah in Smilla's Sense of Snow. Explore the dual roles of vulnerability and self preservation in:
4) Andreas Licht.
Essay Topic 3
In Smilla's Sense of Snow, Smilla journeys from the city of Copenhagen, to the sea aboard the Kronos, and finally to the ice where she makes the final discoveries in the investigation.
1) Based on foreshadowing, your understanding of Smilla and specific references from the novel, predict what Smilla's future actions are.
2) Analyze Smilla's relationship with Moritz, based on their interactions during this investigation. What is your prediction for the future of that relationship?
3) Compare and contrast the Smilla Jasperson introduced in the beginning of the novel, to the woman who watches Tork float away at the end.
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)