|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarcasm is sometimes used as comic relief or for a change of tone in Smilla's Sense of Snow.
1) Explore the use of sarcasm between Smilla and Lander. Describe how this fosters their relationship.
2) Analyze Smilla's meeting with Andreas Licht and talk about how both of their characters deal with the meeting. What motivates both of them? Why do they choose to interact in the way they do?
3) Explore Smilla's use of sarcasm and reaction to the sarcastic behaviors of others. What does Smilla's reaction to sarcasm indicate about her character? Does the nature of the relationships she chooses reflect a specific attitude, or does everyone use sarcasm in some way? Use specifics from the story to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Smilla struggles against authority figures throughout Smilla's Sense of Snow. Analyze her relationship with each of these key figures. Discuss any antagonism, the reason for it, and the importance of that relationship to the plot line.
1) The Toenail or Raven.
2) Johannes Loyen.
4) Elsa Lubing or Tork.
Essay Topic 3
Fojl's character is integral to Smilla's Sense of Snow as he seems to protect key characters and share information with Smilla. Yet, at the end, it's revealed that he is hiding essential information that helps. Answer the following questions in detail.
1) Does Fojl really love Isaiah and does he truly care for Smilla? Are his actions purely selfish? Do you think Smilla continues to have a relationship with him?
2) What foreshadowing of Fojl's involvement is seen in the story? Give specific examples.
3) How do Fojl's shortcomings make him a more believable character?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)