|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fojl's character is integral to Smilla's Sense of Snow as he seems to protect key characters and share information with Smilla. Yet, at the end, it's revealed that he is hiding essential information that helps. Answer the following questions in detail.
1) Does Fojl really love Isaiah and does he truly care for Smilla? Are his actions purely selfish? Do you think Smilla continues to have a relationship with him?
2) What foreshadowing of Fojl's involvement is seen in the story? Give specific examples.
3) How do Fojl's shortcomings make him a more believable character?
Essay Topic 2
Certain literary techniques are used through Smilla's Sense of Snow. Choose one of the following to write about.
1) Analyze why so much information about Smilla and Isaiah is conveyed through the use of flashbacks.
2) Locate three examples of foreshadowing used in the novel. Explain why the author chooses to give clues to those foreshadowed events.
3) Choose an object of symbolism used in the story. Use specific events from the book to explain the significance of that object.
Essay Topic 3
While Smilla's pursuit of justice in Smilla's Sense of Snow is portrayed as doing the right thing, there are instances in the book where she steps outside of what is considered moral and accepted behavior. Comment on the following events and analyze Smilla's behavior and decisions.
1) She steals from and blackmails Jakkelsen.
2) She sleeps with Lander, who is married, while she is also sleeping with Fojl.
3) She accepts money from Moritz against her better judgment.
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)