|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Minor characters play very specific roles in Smilla's Sense of Snow. Select one of the minor characters listed below. Discuss their contribution to the novel, why the author chooses to create that character is a particular way, and what changes if that character of some specific element of that character is eliminated.
1) Elsa Lubing.
2) Johannes Loyen.
4) Andrea Licht.
Essay Topic 2
Fojl's character is integral to Smilla's Sense of Snow as he seems to protect key characters and share information with Smilla. Yet, at the end, it's revealed that he is hiding essential information that helps. Answer the following questions in detail.
1) Does Fojl really love Isaiah and does he truly care for Smilla? Are his actions purely selfish? Do you think Smilla continues to have a relationship with him?
2) What foreshadowing of Fojl's involvement is seen in the story? Give specific examples.
3) How do Fojl's shortcomings make him a more believable character?
Essay Topic 3
The ship, The Kronos, is at the center of some of the key events in Smilla's Sense of Snow.
1) Analyze why so many of the pivotal events in this novel occur on a ship.
2) Choose three characters who are on board The Kronos and describe their impact on the tale.
3) Are there any characters who are introduced on the Kronos who are eliminated from the novel without a great impact to the story? What characters on board the ship have the greatest impact on the novel? Support your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)