|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family is a recurring theme in Smilla's Sense of Snow. Consider what family means as you:
1) Compare and contrast Lagermann's family with Smilla's.
2) Describe Moritz and Fojl as father figures.
3) Discuss the importance of the Three Wise Men analogy on Christmas eve to Smilla's commitment to Isaiah.
Essay Topic 2
Certain literary techniques are used through Smilla's Sense of Snow. Choose one of the following to write about.
1) Analyze why so much information about Smilla and Isaiah is conveyed through the use of flashbacks.
2) Locate three examples of foreshadowing used in the novel. Explain why the author chooses to give clues to those foreshadowed events.
3) Choose an object of symbolism used in the story. Use specific events from the book to explain the significance of that object.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Loyen, Tork, and Smilla in terms of ambition and determination. Consider:
This section contains 150 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)