|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family is a recurring theme in Smilla's Sense of Snow. Consider what family means as you:
1) Compare and contrast Lagermann's family with Smilla's.
2) Describe Moritz and Fojl as father figures.
3) Discuss the importance of the Three Wise Men analogy on Christmas eve to Smilla's commitment to Isaiah.
Essay Topic 2
Appearances in Smilla's Sense of Snow are often deceptive. Consider that fact as you discuss each of the items below. Be certain to refer to specific events from the story to support your comments.
1) Birgo Lander's role in the story and relationship with Smilla.
2) Fojl's relationship with Smilla and motivations.
3) Moritz's relationship with Smilla.
Essay Topic 3
Smilla struggles against authority figures throughout Smilla's Sense of Snow. Analyze her relationship with each of these key figures. Discuss any antagonism, the reason for it, and the importance of that relationship to the plot line.
1) The Toenail or Raven.
2) Johannes Loyen.
4) Elsa Lubing or Tork.
This section contains 156 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)