|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trust in Smilla's Sense of Snow is an issue she tackles in her personal journey. Discuss Smilla's experiences with trust in regards to the following characters.
Essay Topic 2
In Smilla's Sense of Snow, Smilla journeys from the city of Copenhagen, to the sea aboard the Kronos, and finally to the ice where she makes the final discoveries in the investigation.
1) Based on foreshadowing, your understanding of Smilla and specific references from the novel, predict what Smilla's future actions are.
2) Analyze Smilla's relationship with Moritz, based on their interactions during this investigation. What is your prediction for the future of that relationship?
3) Compare and contrast the Smilla Jasperson introduced in the beginning of the novel, to the woman who watches Tork float away at the end.
Essay Topic 3
Fojl's character is integral to Smilla's Sense of Snow as he seems to protect key characters and share information with Smilla. Yet, at the end, it's revealed that he is hiding essential information that helps. Answer the following questions in detail.
1) Does Fojl really love Isaiah and does he truly care for Smilla? Are his actions purely selfish? Do you think Smilla continues to have a relationship with him?
2) What foreshadowing of Fojl's involvement is seen in the story? Give specific examples.
3) How do Fojl's shortcomings make him a more believable character?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)