|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Smilla's pursuit of justice in Smilla's Sense of Snow is portrayed as doing the right thing, there are instances in the book where she steps outside of what is considered moral and accepted behavior. Comment on the following events and analyze Smilla's behavior and decisions.
1) She steals from and blackmails Jakkelsen.
2) She sleeps with Lander, who is married, while she is also sleeping with Fojl.
3) She accepts money from Moritz against her better judgment.
Essay Topic 2
A large focus of Smilla's Sense of Snow is on her personal journey of self discovery and she investigates Isaiah's death. Choose one of the following questions to answer in detail.
1) Relate the progression of Smilla's personal journey to that of the unfolding investigation. Link critical events in the investigation to those in Smilla's growth.
2) Convey Smilla's personal growth in relation to the weather and natural events that occurs throughout the story.
3) Analyze Smilla's growth journey in relationship to other characters she encounters.
Essay Topic 3
Family is a recurring theme in Smilla's Sense of Snow. Consider what family means as you:
1) Compare and contrast Lagermann's family with Smilla's.
2) Describe Moritz and Fojl as father figures.
3) Discuss the importance of the Three Wise Men analogy on Christmas eve to Smilla's commitment to Isaiah.
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)