|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting in Smilla's Sense of Snow plays a strong role in many ways. Choose one of the following questions to answer.
1) Describe how is Smilla's character different if she grows up in a urban setting like Copenhagen rather that the vast and rural Greenland?
2) Analyze the author's use of Section headings The City, The Sea and the Snow. Discuss how the novel is different if those are not included.
3) Choose three settings from the story and discuss them in relationship with Smilla's need for wide, open spaces and nature. Explain how each setting serves a specific purpose in the context of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Fojl's character is integral to Smilla's Sense of Snow as he seems to protect key characters and share information with Smilla. Yet, at the end, it's revealed that he is hiding essential information that helps. Answer the following questions in detail.
1) Does Fojl really love Isaiah and does he truly care for Smilla? Are his actions purely selfish? Do you think Smilla continues to have a relationship with him?
2) What foreshadowing of Fojl's involvement is seen in the story? Give specific examples.
3) How do Fojl's shortcomings make him a more believable character?
Essay Topic 3
Smilla struggles against authority figures throughout Smilla's Sense of Snow. Analyze her relationship with each of these key figures. Discuss any antagonism, the reason for it, and the importance of that relationship to the plot line.
1) The Toenail or Raven.
2) Johannes Loyen.
4) Elsa Lubing or Tork.
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)