"The City," Part 1, Chapters 1, 2, 3, and 4
• Smilla attends Isaiah's funeral.
• Smilla tells about discovering Isaiah's dead body in front the the White Palace.
• Flash backs reveal that Smilla is suspicious of the cause of Isaiah's death.
• Dr. Johannes Loyen supports the police's conclusion that Isaiah jumps or falls from the roof.
"The City," Part 1, Chapters 5 and 6
• Juliane reveals that her husband, Norsaq, dies while on a Crylolite expedition in Greenland.
• The Toenail refutes Smilla's suspicions about Isaiah's death.
• Smilla files a complaint with the Attorney General's office.
• Smilla visits her estranged father, Moritz.
"The City," Part 1, Chapters 7, 8, and 9
• Ravn claims to be conducting an investigation of Isaiah's death.
• Smilla and Fojl share fond memories of Isaiah.
• Lagermann tells Smilla a muscle biopsy is taken on Isaiah at the death scene.
• Elsa Lubing shares information on Cryolite and the 1991 expedition.
"The City," Part 1, Chapters 10 and 11
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)