|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author is the subject of the conference Morris Zapp attends in Zurich?
2. Where is Philip Swallow headed to from Ankara?
3. How is Philip traveling out of Ankara?
4. What is wrong with the plane Persse is on between London and Ireland?
5. On the last night Phillip is in Ankara he attends a reception in whose honor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the differences between Waikiki Beach in Hawaii and the beach Persse knows in Connemara, Ireland?
2. How is Philip feeling about his trip to Turkey on his last night?
3. What prompts Morris Zapp's release from his kidnappers?
4. What is Morris Zapp's routine at Lake Como?
5. Describe the James Joyce Pub.
6. How does Persse end up in a karaoke bar?
7. Describe Cheryl Summerbee's encounter with Angelica.
8. What is Persse's experience when he returns to London to find Bernadette?
9. Why did Philip never suspect that Joy's second child was his?
10. What does Lodge declare is the real attraction for people who go to conferences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David Lodge uses a lot of mythological imagery and figures throughout "Small World." Using at least three examples, explain how these mythological allusions enhance the story.
Essay Topic 2
David Lodge uses many different settings in the telling of "Small World." Using at least three separate examples, discuss how he uses settings to achieve different effects, for character development and plotline, among others.
Essay Topic 3
What is the major, or biggest, theme of this story? Support your thesis with examples from the story.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)