|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author is the subject of the conference Morris Zapp attends in Zurich?
2. What does Persse do immediately after finding the Blue Heaven?
3. What is Morris Zapp doing when he passes out?
4. What does Persse do while waiting for the travel agents to set up his rental house?
5. What does one of the flight attendants try to recite into the microphone on Persse's flight into Ireland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Persse so grateful that he opened an American Express card?
2. What are Morris Zapp's reasons for inviting Arthur Kingfisher to his Jerusalem conference?
3. How does Persse cause a scene at the Amsterdam conference?
4. Why did Philip never suspect that Joy's second child was his?
5. What is the purpose of the MLA?
6. How does Morris Zapp feel about the letter he receives from Philip Swallow while at Lake Como?
7. What exciting news does Hilary have for Philip when he returns home?
8. How does Persse end up in a karaoke bar?
9. What is Joy's explanation for sleeping with Philip when he was in Genoa?
10. What are the differences between Waikiki Beach in Hawaii and the beach Persse knows in Connemara, Ireland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of "romance" is visited several times throughout the story. Is "Small World" a romance? If so, in what sense? Use at least three examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
David Lodge uses a lot of mythological imagery and figures throughout "Small World." Using at least three examples, explain how these mythological allusions enhance the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning of the title of this novel: how is the world small? Which world? What is an academic romance? Is there such a thing?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)