|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what decade's fashions are the people of Lausanne dressed?
2. What career has Hilary decided she wants to pursue?
3. Whom does Persse run into at the penthouse party's buffet?
4. How many boats do the students in Persse's class get into?
5. Who owns the Club Exotica?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Persse's experience when he returns to London to find Bernadette?
2. How does Persse McGarrigle meet Lily Pabst?
3. What exciting news does Hilary have for Philip when he returns home?
4. What has happened to Howard Ringbaum?
5. Why is Persse so grateful that he opened an American Express card?
6. How does Morris Zapp feel about the letter he receives from Philip Swallow while at Lake Como?
7. How does Persse cause a scene at the Amsterdam conference?
8. How does Persse find Hermann Pabst?
9. Describe the James Joyce Pub.
10. What is Morris Zapp's routine at Lake Como?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters and discuss their views on love. Is it important? How does one find it? Is it the same as or separate from sex?
Essay Topic 2
There are many literary allusions scattered throughout "Small World." Pick three and explain how they are used and what their connection is to the text.
Essay Topic 3
In Lausanne, Michel Tardieu says to Persse, "If one is not a subject or an object, one must be a helper or an opponent." Using at least three characters as examples, discuss the meaning of this statement. What is Lodge trying to say? Do you agree? Why or why not? Be specific.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)