|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting next to Persse in the boat?
2. How many boats do the students in Persse's class get into?
3. What is the name of the holiday celebrated during this Zurich conference on June 16th?
4. In what country does Philip meet up with Joy for a tryst?
5. Who is revealed as Lily and Angelica's biological father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joy's explanation for sleeping with Philip when he was in Genoa?
2. How does Persse cause a scene at the Amsterdam conference?
3. What is Josh Collins' concern with Robin Dempsey's frequent presence in the Computer Centre?
4. Describe the streets of the red light district.
5. What does Lodge declare is the real attraction for people who go to conferences?
6. Describe the James Joyce Pub.
7. What professional news does Persse receive at the party in the penthouse?
8. Describe the room where Persse stays in Lausanne.
9. What has happened to Howard Ringbaum?
10. How does Persse end up in a karaoke bar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is David Lodge's opinion of writing style? What is it? How is it defined? What is important about it? Please use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using at least three characters as evidence, discuss Lodge's use of impotence as a theme in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of symbols in this novel, using at least three examples to support your answer.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)