|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose music does Persse sing at the karaoke bar?
2. What excuse does Joy use to leave Ankara early?
3. Where is Philip Swallow headed to from Ankara?
4. Who owns the Club Exotica?
5. In which country is soup eaten at every meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the James Joyce Pub.
2. What is the purpose of the MLA?
3. What has happened to Howard Ringbaum?
4. How does Persse McGarrigle meet Lily Pabst?
5. How does Persse cause a scene at the Amsterdam conference?
6. What are the differences between Waikiki Beach in Hawaii and the beach Persse knows in Connemara, Ireland?
7. What is Morris Zapp's routine at Lake Como?
8. How does Persse miss the train to Geneva on which Angelica is traveling?
9. How is Philip feeling about his trip to Turkey on his last night?
10. Why is Persse nervous upon arriving at Angelica's hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David Lodge uses many different settings in the telling of "Small World." Using at least three separate examples, discuss how he uses settings to achieve different effects, for character development and plotline, among others.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of "romance" is visited several times throughout the story. Is "Small World" a romance? If so, in what sense? Use at least three examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is David Lodge's opinion of writing style? What is it? How is it defined? What is important about it? Please use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)