|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Kaira's money?
2. Who interrupts a near kiss between Armpit and Kaira?
3. Why does Armpit get beat on?
4. What does Armpit do to Kaira's letter?
5. What is the stipulation that Armpit puts on his telling Kaira his nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Armpit realize about a song he hears Kaira sing?
2. What happens to make Kaira throw coffee in Armpit's face and leave?
3. Who visits Armpit while he is doing some plumbing and what do they want?
4. What happens when Armpit gets to the hotel to visit Kaira?
5. How does the attack on Kaira end?
6. What does X-Ray tell Armpit and how does Armpit respond?
7. What does the letter Armpit receives from Kaira say?
8. What does the narrator say about what happens in the events surrounding Kaira?
9. In what dilemmas is Armpit immersed, and what does he decide?
10. What happens in the chaotic aftermath of the attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Small Steps interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Armpit. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Kaira. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of El Genius. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Small Steps.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Small Steps. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Small Steps. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)