|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Felix blackmail Armpit?
2. Whom does Armpit's boss offer to hire?
3. How many times is Armpit interviewed by the police?
4. What does X-Ray say to Armpit when X-Ray calls?
5. Why isn't El Genius going to be tried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the phone conversation between X-Ray and Armpit.
2. What does Armpit stop to buy and then where do Kaira and Armpit go?
3. What happens when Kaira is getting ready for her show and El Genius comes in her room?
4. What happens when Armpit encounters Felix and Moses coming back from his speech exam?
5. What have Aileen and El Genius been doing with Kaira's money, and why does El Genius want Armpit to come to San Francisco?
6. Describe Armpit's conversation with Detective Newburg.
7. What happens in the chaotic aftermath of the attack?
8. What does Detective Newburg tell Armpit?
9. Describe the conversation between Detective Newburg and Armpit after he witnesses X-Ray's interrogation.
10. What does the letter Armpit receives from Kaira say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Small Steps belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Small Steps is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Small Steps interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Armpit. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Kaira. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of El Genius. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)