|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Aileen during all the happenings?
2. Where does Kaira invite Armpit to visit her?
3. Why is Kaira crying in the shower?
4. What does Armpit say he should have done with Kaira?
5. What does El Genius ask Armpit to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Detective Newburg tell Armpit?
2. What happens when El Genius encounters Armpit in the hotel?
3. What happens to make Kaira throw coffee in Armpit's face and leave?
4. Who visits Armpit while he is doing some plumbing and what do they want?
5. Why is Armpit uneasy in a coffee shop and what does Kaira say about Ginny and Kaira's own work with a dying girl?
6. How does Kaira discover that Armpit is ticklish and what does Fred interrupt?
7. What happens when Armpit witnesses an interrogation of X-Ray?
8. Describe the phone conversation between X-Ray and Armpit.
9. What does Armpit decide about the trip and how does he feel about his decision?
10. What happens when Armpit encounters Felix and Moses coming back from his speech exam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Small Steps. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Sachar chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Sachar chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Sachar's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Sachar use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Small Steps and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Small Steps is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Small Steps, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Small Steps. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)