|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Armpit when he observes a suspect being questioned?
2. With what is Armpit's boss pleased?
3. What does Armpit order at a coffee shop?
4. What does Armpit do to Kaira's letter?
5. What is one dilemma that Armpit faces?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about what happens in the events surrounding Kaira?
2. What happens to make Kaira throw coffee in Armpit's face and leave?
3. Describe the conversation between Detective Newburg and Armpit after he witnesses X-Ray's interrogation.
4. What "game" do Kaira and Armpit play when they leave the hotel restaurant and what does Kaira disclose to Armpit?
5. Why is Armpit uneasy in a coffee shop and what does Kaira say about Ginny and Kaira's own work with a dying girl?
6. What does Armpit notice as he is telling Ginny about his time with Kaira?
7. What does El Genius do in Armpit's room?
8. How does the attack on Kaira end?
9. Describe the interaction between Armpit and Kaira in the hotel restaurant.
10. What does the letter Armpit receives from Kaira say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Small Steps, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Small Steps. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Small Steps is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Armpit and X-Ray. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ginny and Kaira. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Small Steps help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the story line. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)