|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Armpit working on when X-Ray and a couple others visit him?
2. What does Armpit do about the decisions he has to make?
3. Through whom does the suspect say he met Armpit?
4. What interrupts Armpit's talking about Kaira's letter to her?
5. Who interrupts El Genius' battering of Kaira?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have Aileen and El Genius been doing with Kaira's money, and why does El Genius want Armpit to come to San Francisco?
2. What does Detective Newburg tell Armpit?
3. What does X-Ray tell Armpit and how does Armpit respond?
4. Describe the conversation between Detective Newburg and Armpit after he witnesses X-Ray's interrogation.
5. What does Armpit tell Ginny about his experience in San Francisco?
6. What happens when El Genius encounters Armpit in the hotel?
7. How does the attack on Kaira end?
8. What happens when Kaira is getting ready for her show and El Genius comes in her room?
9. What does Detective Newburg ask Armpit to do and what is his response?
10. What happens to make Kaira throw coffee in Armpit's face and leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Small Steps and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Small Steps is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Armpit and X-Ray. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ginny and Kaira. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Small Steps help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the story line. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
The narrative manifests its thematic interest in the alluring power of money. Also here, it's important to consider how, in some fundamental ways, there is little moral, essential difference between what X-Ray does to Armpit and what El Genius is later revealed to be doing to Kaira. The scope and level of violence are quite different, but the basic principles behind their actions are the same where greed rules.
1. Do you think that a huge sum of money will corrupt everyone? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
2. Explain whether what Armpit and X-Ray did is the same or not the same as what El Genius did except on a smaller scale. Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
3. Do you think X-Ray and Armpit should have been punished for scalping and using fake tickets? Was X-Ray more to blame than Armpit? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)