|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would happen if the seller of forged tickets is caught?
2. What interrupts Armpit's talking about Kaira's letter to her?
3. What seems to be Kaira's disability?
4. What does the letter from Kaira to Armpit say?
5. What does Armpit joke that he should be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when El Genius encounters Armpit in the hotel?
2. What does El Genius do in Armpit's room?
3. What happens when Kaira is getting ready for her show and El Genius comes in her room?
4. What happens when Armpit witnesses an interrogation of X-Ray?
5. What "game" do Kaira and Armpit play when they leave the hotel restaurant and what does Kaira disclose to Armpit?
6. Who visits Armpit while he is doing some plumbing and what do they want?
7. What does Detective Newburg ask Armpit to do and what is his response?
8. Describe the phone conversation between X-Ray and Armpit.
9. What happens when Armpit encounters Felix and Moses coming back from his speech exam?
10. What does the letter Armpit receives from Kaira say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrative manifests its thematic interest in the alluring power of money. Also here, it's important to consider how, in some fundamental ways, there is little moral, essential difference between what X-Ray does to Armpit and what El Genius is later revealed to be doing to Kaira. The scope and level of violence are quite different, but the basic principles behind their actions are the same where greed rules.
1. Do you think that a huge sum of money will corrupt everyone? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
2. Explain whether what Armpit and X-Ray did is the same or not the same as what El Genius did except on a smaller scale. Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
3. Do you think X-Ray and Armpit should have been punished for scalping and using fake tickets? Was X-Ray more to blame than Armpit? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Louis Sachar.
2. What in Sachar's background may have helped him in writing Small Steps? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Small Steps belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)