Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does El Genius get into Armpit's room?
2. Who has been embezzling money from Kaira?
3. When does Kaira say she thinks of Armpit?
4. When does Detective Newburg call Armpit?
5. Who accompanies Kaira to the lobby?
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of Small Steps, Armpit grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Small Steps might be considered a slice of Armpit's larger story of his "coming of age." It might be said that Small Steps is a "bildungsroman" of Theodore Johnson. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Armpit as he changes from a more immature, gullible boy to a wiser, young man. What are the significant events that change Armpit?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Armpit's growth throughout Small Steps, do you think Small Steps could be considered Armpit's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in Small Steps who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Small Steps. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Sachar chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Sachar chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Sachar's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Sachar use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Small Steps.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Small Steps. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Small Steps. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)