|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kaira discover Armpit is ticklish?
2. What is one dilemma that Armpit faces?
3. What does Armpit's boss joke about concerning boys from the center?
4. What does Kaira say she felt when she touched his armpit?
5. Through whom does the suspect say he met Armpit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does X-Ray tell Armpit and how does Armpit respond?
2. In what dilemmas is Armpit immersed, and what does he decide?
3. What does Armpit notice as he is telling Ginny about his time with Kaira?
4. What does the letter Armpit receives from Kaira say?
5. What does Detective Newburg ask Armpit to do and what is his response?
6. What happens when Kaira is getting ready for her show and El Genius comes in her room?
7. Describe the conversation between Detective Newburg and Armpit after he witnesses X-Ray's interrogation.
8. Describe Armpit's conversation with Detective Newburg.
9. What does the narrator say about what happens in the events surrounding Kaira?
10. What happens when El Genius encounters Armpit in the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Small Steps help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Small Steps? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Small Steps to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Small Steps, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Small Steps. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)