|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will Armpit get to where Kaira is?
2. Where is Aileen during all the happenings?
3. What does Kaira have to say when she calls Armpit that night?
4. Why does Armpit buy a sweatshirt?
5. Who is Debbie Newburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Armpit decide about the trip and how does he feel about his decision?
2. What happens when El Genius encounters Armpit in the hotel?
3. What does Detective Newburg tell Armpit?
4. What does Armpit realize about a song he hears Kaira sing?
5. What have Aileen and El Genius been doing with Kaira's money, and why does El Genius want Armpit to come to San Francisco?
6. Describe the interaction between Armpit and Kaira in the hotel restaurant.
7. What happens when Armpit witnesses an interrogation of X-Ray?
8. What "game" do Kaira and Armpit play when they leave the hotel restaurant and what does Kaira disclose to Armpit?
9. How does the attack on Kaira end?
10. What happens in the chaotic aftermath of the attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Small Steps is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Armpit and X-Ray. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ginny and Kaira. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Small Steps help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the story line. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Small Steps and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Small Steps is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)