|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kaira say to Fred?
2. What does Newburg ask Armpit after the suspect leaves?
3. What is X-Ray prepared to do?
4. Who accompanies Kaira to the lobby?
5. What is Habib's alias?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about what happens in the events surrounding Kaira?
2. Who visits Armpit while he is doing some plumbing and what do they want?
3. How does Kaira discover that Armpit is ticklish and what does Fred interrupt?
4. What happens when Kaira is getting ready for her show and El Genius comes in her room?
5. What does Armpit's boss say about Armpit's work and what does the boss offer to do?
6. What happens when Armpit witnesses an interrogation of X-Ray?
7. What does Armpit notice as he is telling Ginny about his time with Kaira?
8. Why is Armpit uneasy in a coffee shop and what does Kaira say about Ginny and Kaira's own work with a dying girl?
9. Describe the interaction between Armpit and Kaira in the hotel restaurant.
10. What does the letter Armpit receives from Kaira say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Small Steps. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Sachar chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Sachar chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Sachar's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Sachar use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Small Steps is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Small Steps based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Small Steps is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Small Steps a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)