|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Detective Newburg call Armpit?
2. About what does Kaira compliment Armpit?
3. Where is Aileen during all the happenings?
4. Who interrupts a near kiss between Armpit and Kaira?
5. What does Detective Newburg believe that Armpit did not know?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the attack on Kaira end?
2. What happens when Kaira is getting ready for her show and El Genius comes in her room?
3. Describe the interaction between Armpit and Kaira in the hotel restaurant.
4. What does Detective Newburg ask Armpit to do and what is his response?
5. What does Armpit decide about the trip and how does he feel about his decision?
6. What does the letter Armpit receives from Kaira say?
7. Describe Armpit's conversation with Detective Newburg.
8. Who visits Armpit while he is doing some plumbing and what do they want?
9. Describe the phone conversation between X-Ray and Armpit.
10. What does Armpit realize about a song he hears Kaira sing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Small Steps. Questions that Sachar most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Sachar' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Sachar' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Sachar and see how his life might have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Small Steps, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Small Steps. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Small Steps based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Small Steps is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Small Steps a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)