|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why isn't El Genius going to be tried?
2. What does Newburg call Armpit?
3. What is the stipulation that Armpit puts on his telling Kaira his nickname?
4. How does Armpit describe the seller of the tickets?
5. What is Armpit working on when X-Ray and a couple others visit him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Armpit decide about the trip and how does he feel about his decision?
2. What does El Genius do in Armpit's room?
3. What does Armpit realize about a song he hears Kaira sing?
4. What does Armpit stop to buy and then where do Kaira and Armpit go?
5. Describe the interaction between Armpit and Kaira in the hotel restaurant.
6. What does Armpit tell Ginny about his experience in San Francisco?
7. What happens when El Genius encounters Armpit in the hotel?
8. Who visits Armpit while he is doing some plumbing and what do they want?
9. In what dilemmas is Armpit immersed, and what does he decide?
10. What happens when Armpit encounters Felix and Moses coming back from his speech exam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Small Steps is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Small Steps belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Small Steps and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Small Steps is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)