|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Debbie Newburg want with Armpit?
2. What does Felix tell Armpit?
3. What does Armpit joke that he should be?
4. How does Kaira discover Armpit is ticklish?
5. What happens to the scheduled concert for that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does X-Ray tell Armpit and how does Armpit respond?
2. What does Armpit realize about a song he hears Kaira sing?
3. What does Armpit's boss say about Armpit's work and what does the boss offer to do?
4. What happens when Armpit encounters Felix and Moses coming back from his speech exam?
5. What happens in the chaotic aftermath of the attack?
6. How does the attack on Kaira end?
7. Describe the interaction between Armpit and Kaira in the hotel restaurant.
8. Describe the phone conversation between X-Ray and Armpit.
9. What happens when Kaira is getting ready for her show and El Genius comes in her room?
10. What happens when Armpit witnesses an interrogation of X-Ray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Small Steps help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Small Steps? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Small Steps to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Small Steps interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Armpit. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Kaira. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of El Genius. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)