|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one dilemma that Armpit faces?
2. For what do Kaira and Armpit shop?
3. What does El Genius get out of Armpit's room?
4. What does Newburg ask Armpit after the suspect leaves?
5. Why is Kaira crying in the shower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Armpit decide about the trip and how does he feel about his decision?
2. What happens when Kaira is getting ready for her show and El Genius comes in her room?
3. What "game" do Kaira and Armpit play when they leave the hotel restaurant and what does Kaira disclose to Armpit?
4. Describe the phone conversation between X-Ray and Armpit.
5. Describe Armpit's conversation with Detective Newburg.
6. What happens when Armpit gets to the hotel to visit Kaira?
7. What does the narrator say about what happens in the events surrounding Kaira?
8. What happens when El Genius encounters Armpit in the hotel?
9. What does Armpit realize about a song he hears Kaira sing?
10. What does X-Ray tell Armpit and how does Armpit respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Small Steps.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Small Steps. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Small Steps. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Small Steps is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Small Steps interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Armpit. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Kaira. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of El Genius. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)