|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Armpit working on when X-Ray and a couple others visit him?
2. What does Detective Newburg tell Armpit?
3. With what non-profit organization has Kaira volunteered?
4. What does Felix tell Armpit?
5. What does X-Ray reveal about himself to Armpit's boss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does El Genius do in Armpit's room?
2. What "game" do Kaira and Armpit play when they leave the hotel restaurant and what does Kaira disclose to Armpit?
3. What does Detective Newburg tell Armpit?
4. How does the attack on Kaira end?
5. What does the letter Armpit receives from Kaira say?
6. What have Aileen and El Genius been doing with Kaira's money, and why does El Genius want Armpit to come to San Francisco?
7. Describe the phone conversation between X-Ray and Armpit.
8. What does Armpit stop to buy and then where do Kaira and Armpit go?
9. Why is Armpit uneasy in a coffee shop and what does Kaira say about Ginny and Kaira's own work with a dying girl?
10. What does Armpit decide about the trip and how does he feel about his decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Small Steps? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Small Steps, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Small Steps and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Armpit and X-Ray. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ginny and Kaira. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Small Steps help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the story line. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Small Steps is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)