|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newburg call Armpit?
2. What does Kaira not hear Armpit say?
3. Whom does Armpit's boss offer to hire?
4. What seems to be Kaira's disability?
5. Who yells at the boys saying he called the cops?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the attack on Kaira end?
2. What does Detective Newburg tell Armpit?
3. What does the letter Armpit receives from Kaira say?
4. What happens to make Kaira throw coffee in Armpit's face and leave?
5. What does El Genius do in Armpit's room?
6. What happens when Armpit witnesses an interrogation of X-Ray?
7. What happens when Armpit encounters Felix and Moses coming back from his speech exam?
8. Describe the phone conversation between X-Ray and Armpit.
9. What does Armpit tell Ginny about his experience in San Francisco?
10. How does Kaira discover that Armpit is ticklish and what does Fred interrupt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Small Steps is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Small Steps. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Sachar chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Sachar chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Sachar's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Sachar use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Small Steps is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)