|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what old adage does the area remind Didion?
2. About whom does the nighttime talk show host talk?
3. What was the whole area when Didion grew up there?
4. What does Didion think about as she explores the island?
5. To what state does Didion decide to move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Didion think of the old Hollywood?
2. Describe the history of Sacramento.
3. Describe Alcatraz Island as depicted in this essay.
4. What problems does Didion face when she and her husband visit her family?
5. Describe Didion's upbringing in Sacramento.
6. Why does Didion think no one can truly define what is moral?
7. Describe the accident in the mountains.
8. Why does Didion decide to move to Los Angeles?
9. Why is Didion finding Los Angeles depressing in this essay?
10. Summarize the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using only the essays in Slouching Towards Bethlehem, write Joan Didion's biography.
Essay Topic 2
What was the Donner party? Why was what they did seen as immoral? Do you think the two situations Didion presents on the morality are comparable? Why does she draw the comparison?
Essay Topic 3
How much do the students think what Didion remembers about the Sacramento Valley is merely nostalgia? How do you think the children living there now will remember the Sacramento Valley? How does Didion's nostalgia either take away or add to the validity to the points Didion tries to make?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)