|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not like going to see Didion's family?
2. Why is Didion unable to record people's reactions?
3. Of what old adage does the area remind Didion?
4. Who tends to live in Newport Beach?
5. What does Didion feel trapped between when she visits her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the scientists think the Santa Ana winds work to cause psychological changes?
2. In what way does Newport Beach disappoint Didion?
3. Describe Didion's upbringing in Sacramento.
4. Describe Alcatraz Island as depicted in this essay.
5. Why is Didion finding Los Angeles depressing in this essay?
6. Why does Didion decide to move to Los Angeles?
7. What does Didion think of the old Hollywood?
8. What does Didion think of Newport Beach?
9. Describe Didion's time in Guaymas.
10. What are Didion's thoughts about the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using only the essays in Slouching Towards Bethlehem, write Joan Didion's biography.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Hollywood had changed in the Sixties compared to Hollywood in the Thirties and the Forties in terms of the following:
1) Film stories, style and themes
2) The general running of the industry.
Essay Topic 3
How much do the students think what Didion remembers about the Sacramento Valley is merely nostalgia? How do you think the children living there now will remember the Sacramento Valley? How does Didion's nostalgia either take away or add to the validity to the points Didion tries to make?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)