|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who remained with the young's man's body?
2. What does Didion write about in this essay?
3. What happens to people's temperaments just before the wind is about to blow?
4. What did Didion use to chase through the fields?
5. Where does Didion plan to go and relax?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Didion think of Newport Beach?
2. In what way does Newport Beach disappoint Didion?
3. What problems does Didion face when she and her husband visit her family?
4. Describe the movie on which Didion bases this essay.
5. How do the scientists think the Santa Ana winds work to cause psychological changes?
6. How does Didion feel when visiting Pearl Harbor?
7. How do the Los Angeles citizens know when the Santa Ana winds are about to blow?
8. Why does Didion decide to move to Los Angeles?
9. Describe Didion's upbringing in Sacramento.
10. What is the theme of this essay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does Didion express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the essays' meanings would change if they were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the essays in the book and answer the following questions:
1) What is the main argument of the essay?
2) How does Didion construct the argument?
3) Are there any weaknesses in her argument?
Essay Topic 3
What influence did the hippie movement have on the following areas:
2) Literature and art
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)