|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of accommodation do Didion and her husband stay?
2. Who tends to live in Newport Beach?
3. About whom does the nighttime talk show host talk?
4. What is this essay about?
5. Of what old adage does the area remind Didion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the book.
2. What problems does Didion face when she and her husband visit her family?
3. Why does Didion think no one can truly define what is moral?
4. What does Didion think of Newport Beach?
5. How do the scientists think the Santa Ana winds work to cause psychological changes?
6. Describe Didion's time in Guaymas.
7. What are Didion's thoughts about the island?
8. How do the Los Angeles citizens know when the Santa Ana winds are about to blow?
9. In what way does Newport Beach disappoint Didion?
10. Describe the history of Sacramento.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What influence did the hippie movement have on the following areas:
2) Literature and art
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the essays in the book and answer the following questions:
1) What is the main argument of the essay?
2) How does Didion construct the argument?
3) Are there any weaknesses in her argument?
Essay Topic 3
Compare one of Didion's early essays to one of her later essays. How do her ideas about life change? How has her writing style changed?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)