|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Didion travel to in this essay?
2. Where is the bookstore?
3. What center does this essay address?
4. Where did Ira Sandperl work?
5. What does Didion say she hears almost daily?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Didion's opinion of John Wayne?
2. How do the hippies react when Michael almost burns down the house?
3. What is Didion's view on Las Vegas weddings?
4. What is Didion interested in learning about Michael?
5. What were Didion's feelings when she met John Wayne for the first time?
6. Why is Joan Baez standing before the Monterey County Board of Supervisors?
7. Describe Lucille Miller's life at the beginning of Part 1.
8. What reason does Didion give for self-respect being so important?
9. What conclusion does Didion come to in the Howard Hughes essay?
10. Why did Joan Baez become a performer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book as a whole.
1) What is the central argument of the book?
2) How are the essays arranged to construct this argument?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the books chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does Didion express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the essays' meanings would change if they were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Write a critical essay about one of the following statements:
1) John Wayne was a force of nature, a man who could beat cancer and return to his life as if nothing had happened.
2) The free-thinking, 1960s California created an environment where a person like Joan Baez could thrive.
3) Michael Laski is a young man with warped ideals who hides in a group of radicals rather than take a chance to be who he is.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)