|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Wayne the definition of for Didion?
2. What was the name of John Wayne's wife?
3. Why does Didion think she wrote the note about the woman?
4. Who was the only one on set who it is said did not make his/her opinions known?
5. What do Baez's neighbors believe the school has done?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the hippies react when Michael almost burns down the house?
2. What conclusion does Didion come to about her habit of writing notes?
3. Why did Didion choose Howard Hughes as her subject?
4. What inconsistencies did the police find with Lucille's story?
5. How did not being elected to Phi Beta Kappa in college affect Didion?
6. What is Didion interested in learning about Michael?
7. What conclusion does Didion come to in the Howard Hughes essay?
8. Why did Didion choose to write the Howard Hughes essay?
9. Why was Cork Miller unhappy?
10. What does Didion think of Baez when she interviews her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book as a whole.
1) What is the central argument of the book?
2) How are the essays arranged to construct this argument?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the famous people Didion portrays in the book and examine his/her life. How does Didion represent him or her in the essay? Is this an accurate representation of this person?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following subjects to base a 500-word essay:
1) The hippie cultural influence on Sixties and Seventies America.
2) The true definition of moral behavior.
3) The importance of an extended family.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)