|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which movie star does Joan talk about in this chapter?
2. Who does Didion watch Michael debrief?
3. In what state does this essay take place?
4. Baez known as the voice of _____________________.
5. What reason do the two runaways give for leaving home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Joan Baez standing before the Monterey County Board of Supervisors?
2. How does Baez act in court?
3. Why did Joan Baez become a performer?
4. What do you think is the overall message of this chapter?
5. Why did Didion choose Howard Hughes as her subject?
6. What is Didion's view on Las Vegas weddings?
7. What is Didion's view on the center?
8. How does Max live his life as a hippie?
9. How did not being elected to Phi Beta Kappa in college affect Didion?
10. What conclusion does Didion come to about her habit of writing notes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using only the essays in Slouching Towards Bethlehem, write Joan Didion's biography.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following subjects to base a 500-word essay:
1) The hippie cultural influence on Sixties and Seventies America.
2) The true definition of moral behavior.
3) The importance of an extended family.
Essay Topic 3
Using two sources outside of the book, write a critical essay on one of Didion's own essays. Do you agree or disagree with central themes of her work? Support your answer.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)