|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the woman with the dirty wrapper sitting?
2. Which band does Didion watch rehearse in this essay?
3. What did Cork originally want to do when he moved to San Bernardino?
4. What have the workers been sent to sell?
5. Why does Hughes' building look abandoned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Into what does Michael give Didion an insight?
2. How did John Wayne react to the problems on set?
3. Why did the two runaways leave home?
4. What do you think is the overall message of this chapter?
5. How does Max live his life as a hippie?
6. Why did Didion choose to write the Howard Hughes essay?
7. What is the Center of Study of Democratic Institutions?
8. What reason does Didion give for the center's existence?
9. What does Didion remember about the first movie in which she saw John Wayne?
10. What conclusion does Didion come to in the Howard Hughes essay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare one of Didion's early essays to one of her later essays. How do her ideas about life change? How has her writing style changed?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to Didion? How does Didion express the main themes of the book through each essay?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the famous people Didion portrays in the book and examine his/her life. How does Didion represent him or her in the essay? Is this an accurate representation of this person?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)