|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Didion think Las Vegas weddings make a mockery of __________________________.
2. What charity does Lucille chair?
3. With what illness was Wayne diagnosed?
4. What center does this essay address?
5. What was Didion raised to believe about other people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Center of Study of Democratic Institutions?
2. What is Didion interested in learning about Michael?
3. What do you think is the overall message of this chapter?
4. How do people treat their marriages in Las Vegas?
5. What is Didion's view on the center?
6. Why did Didion choose to write the Howard Hughes essay?
7. What reason does Didion give for self-respect being so important?
8. How does Didion describe Las Vegas weddings?
9. Why does Didion keep notes?
10. How has Las Vegas turned marriage into a big business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critical essay about one of the following statements:
1) John Wayne was a force of nature, a man who could beat cancer and return to his life as if nothing had happened.
2) The free-thinking, 1960s California created an environment where a person like Joan Baez could thrive.
3) Michael Laski is a young man with warped ideals who hides in a group of radicals rather than take a chance to be who he is.
Essay Topic 2
How had America changed since the Fifties to allow for a communist radical such as Michael Laski?
Essay Topic 3
Using two sources outside of the book, write a critical essay on one of Didion's own essays. Do you agree or disagree with central themes of her work? Support your answer.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)