|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what do the center's members think they have a large influence?
2. What does Didion say she hears almost daily?
3. With what illness was Wayne diagnosed?
4. What do Baez's neighbors believe the school has done?
5. Of which musician is this essay a portrait?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Didion find the essay on the Center of Study of Democratic Institutions so difficult?
2. What inconsistencies did the police find with Lucille's story?
3. Describe Lucille Miller's life at the beginning of Part 1.
4. What were Didion's feelings when she met John Wayne for the first time?
5. Why was Cork Miller unhappy?
6. What is the Center of Study of Democratic Institutions?
7. What is Didion's view on the center?
8. How do people treat their marriages in Las Vegas?
9. What do Didion's notes help her to realize?
10. How does Didion describe Las Vegas weddings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Donner party? Why was what they did seen as immoral? Do you think the two situations Didion presents on the morality are comparable? Why does she draw the comparison?
Essay Topic 2
Using two sources outside of the book, write a critical essay on one of Didion's own essays. Do you agree or disagree with central themes of her work? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare one of Didion's early essays to one of her later essays. How do her ideas about life change? How has her writing style changed?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)