|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What island does Didion visit in this essay?
(a) The Virgin Islands
2. Where does Didion hear that an accident happened?
(a) In a slaughthouse
(b) The mountains
(c) In a nuclear reactor
(d) In a supermarket
3. Which member of Didion's family went to Hawaii during the war?
(a) Her uncle
(b) Her father
(c) Her brother
(d) Her mother
4. What is Didion curious to see at the Pearl Harbor memorial?
(a) How people react to death
(b) How Hawaii makes money from the memorial
(c) How the authorities perserve the memorial
(d) Soldier's ages
5. Who remained with the young's man's body?
(a) The young girl
(b) The nurse's husband
(c) The nurse
(d) A policeman
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the caretaker's job in the prison?
2. Why did the monster steal the child?
3. Where was the gold discovered?
4. Why do the parties become boring?
5. Why are no more repairs being done at the prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Los Angeles citizens know when the Santa Ana winds are about to blow?
2. Describe Alcatraz Island as depicted in this essay.
3. Describe Didion's time in Guaymas.
4. What are Didion's thoughts about the island?
5. What is the theme of this essay?
6. Why does Didion think no one can truly define what is moral?
7. How do the scientists think the Santa Ana winds work to cause psychological changes?
8. What does Didion think of Newport Beach?
9. Describe the movie on which Didion bases this essay.
10. Why is Didion finding Los Angeles depressing in this essay?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)