|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Didion begin to wonder?
(a) Why Hughes is a recluse
(b) Why people are curious about Hughes
(c) How Hughes ever became famous
(d) Why Hughes has boarded his windows
2. What happened to the car when it crashed?
(a) It exploded
(b) It caught fire
(c) It sank into the lake
(d) It lay with one half over a cliff edge
3. What did Cork originally want to do when he moved to San Bernardino?
(a) Open a record shop
(b) Go to art school
(c) Go to medical school
(d) Become a writer
4. What does Didion compare Michael to when he talks to his workers?
(a) A dictator
(b) A tyrant
(c) A manic depressive
(d) An army sergeant
5. With what was Cork Miller having problems?
(b) His health
(c) His ex-wife
(d) His parents
6. What was Didion warned the the talk at the center would be?
(a) High powered
(c) Low brow
7. What is the title of this essay?
(a) Reclusive in Hollywood
(b) Never Talk When You See a Red
(c) Where the Kissing Never Stops
(d) Comrade Laski, C.P.U.S.A
8. Didion believe her loss of innocence was the beginning of ____________.
(a) Self confidence
(c) Self respect
9. Didion is more impressed with Baez's __________ than with Baez as a person.
10. Who does Wayne have dinner with at the end of the chapter?
(a) Sammy Davis Jr
(b) John Ford
(c) Joan Didion
(d) Dean Martin
11. Which band does Didion watch rehearse in this essay?
(a) The Byrds
(b) The Silver Apples
(c) The Grateful Dead
12. What center does this essay address?
(a) The Center of Capitalist Thought
(b) The Feminist Center for Abused Women
(c) The Center of Democratic Institutions
(d) The local sports center
13. Whose notebook writing does Didion talk about?
(a) Her own
(b) Henry Miller's
(c) Hubert Selby Jr.'s
(d) Her father's
14. What was the name of John Wayne's wife?
15. On what subject does Baez's school concentrate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Didion think she lost when she was not elected Phi Beta Kappa?
2. What does Didion notice about the girl's appearance?
3. What happens when Didion looks back at the notes she has written?
4. What reason do the two runaways give for leaving home?
5. What does Didion say she sees John Wayne as at the end of this essay?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)