|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Goya accuse Leocadia of doing?
2. What does Dr. Arrieta say would satisfy King Ferdinand's desire for revenge on Goya?
3. Why does the voice of Mariquita tell Goya she has come?
4. How does King Ferdinand infer that Father Duaso is Goya's friend?
5. Why does Dr. Arrieta suspect Father Duaso is operating on King Ferdinand's orders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What forces - personal and political - caused Goya to paint the Black Paintings? Do you believe he was motivated more by the chaos in his own mind or the chaos in his country? Do you believe he intended the paintings to be seen by others or not? Support your thesis with evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Goya says that the walls where he painted the Black Paintings "ooze fear." He says that he painted the things he feared. Select one of the paintings to explain what Goya might have feared when he painted it. Be sure to include the personal and or political situation that might have created the fear he expressed.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Goya arrives at more than one startling conclusion about himself and his fellow man. Write an essay explaining what those conclusions are, and what prompted Goya to realize them.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)