|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Arrieta think King Ferdinand will not execute Goya?
2. When did King Ferdinand issue the order to Goya regarding his court appearances?
3. In Part 2, how does King Ferdinand say Goya should feel?
4. Why does Goya think Leocadia is no longer afraid?
5. What does Goya produce that stops Leocadia from doing more in Part 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goya says that the walls where he painted the Black Paintings "ooze fear." He says that he painted the things he feared. Select one of the paintings to explain what Goya might have feared when he painted it. Be sure to include the personal and or political situation that might have created the fear he expressed.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is an overarching theme in this play. Select any two characters. Explain how fear motivated their actions, what they did in response to fear, and how the story might have been different if they had been unafraid.
Essay Topic 3
A great work of literature needs to have elements of universality. If you are not a great painter who has lost his hearing or his political security, you are not like Goya in those ways. And yet Dr. Arrieta tells Goya that we are all deaf and deserving of pity. In your essay, explain what you think Dr. Arrieta meant, tell whether you agree with him, and explain why or why not.
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)