|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tricks is Goya's mind playing on him as he talks with Leocadia?
2. What does King Ferdinand tell Father Duaso to do to convince Goya to ask the king's pardon?
3. What incident at Goya's home does Father Duaso report to King Ferdinand?
4. Why does Father Duaso says he must intercede for Goya with King Ferdinand?
5. What does Dr. Arrieta suggest that Goya's peaceful state of mind implies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What forces - personal and political - caused Goya to paint the Black Paintings? Do you believe he was motivated more by the chaos in his own mind or the chaos in his country? Do you believe he intended the paintings to be seen by others or not? Support your thesis with evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 2
A great work of literature needs to have elements of universality. If you are not a great painter who has lost his hearing or his political security, you are not like Goya in those ways. And yet Dr. Arrieta tells Goya that we are all deaf and deserving of pity. In your essay, explain what you think Dr. Arrieta meant, tell whether you agree with him, and explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Transformation is an important theme. Does anyone in this play change during the course of the action on stage? If so, who changes, and how?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)