|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident at Goya's home does Father Duaso report to King Ferdinand?
2. What solution does Father Duaso offer for Goya's dilemma?
3. Why does Dr. Arrieta speak frankly to Father Duaso?
4. What inquiry does King Ferdinand make as to Goya's state of mind in Part 2, Scene 1?
5. What does King Ferdinand suspect Dr. Arrieta of being?
Essay Topic 1
What forces - personal and political - caused Goya to paint the Black Paintings? Do you believe he was motivated more by the chaos in his own mind or the chaos in his country? Do you believe he intended the paintings to be seen by others or not? Support your thesis with evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the play, Goya arrives at more than one startling conclusion about himself and his fellow man. Write an essay explaining what those conclusions are, and what prompted Goya to realize them.
Essay Topic 3
A great work of literature needs to have elements of universality. If you are not a great painter who has lost his hearing or his political security, you are not like Goya in those ways. And yet Dr. Arrieta tells Goya that we are all deaf and deserving of pity. In your essay, explain what you think Dr. Arrieta meant, tell whether you agree with him, and explain why or why not.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)