|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Dr. Arrieta present to Father Duaso?
2. What else does Goya accuse Leocadia of doing?
3. Why does the voice of Mariquita suggest that Leocadia has the button of an army officer?
4. Why does Father Duaso says he must intercede for Goya with King Ferdinand?
5. What sounds torment Goya as he paints "Witches' Sabbath?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goya's last speech in the play is to look at Leocadia and say, "I'll never know." Do you think you know Leocadia's true position and character? Using evidence from the play, support your thesis about the kind of woman Leocadia actually was.
Essay Topic 2
A great work of literature needs to have elements of universality. If you are not a great painter who has lost his hearing or his political security, you are not like Goya in those ways. And yet Dr. Arrieta tells Goya that we are all deaf and deserving of pity. In your essay, explain what you think Dr. Arrieta meant, tell whether you agree with him, and explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the spyglass as a symbol between Goya and the King. Examine ways in which their fates are linked, yet held at a distance.
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)