|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King Ferdinand suspect Dr. Arrieta of being?
2. Why does Goya think Leocadia is no longer afraid?
3. What sounds torment Goya as he paints "Witches' Sabbath?"
4. At the end of Part 2, Scene 3, what does Dr. Arrieta quote Goya as saying?
5. To whom does Goya compare Leocadia in his mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goya's last speech in the play is to look at Leocadia and say, "I'll never know." Do you think you know Leocadia's true position and character? Using evidence from the play, support your thesis about the kind of woman Leocadia actually was.
Essay Topic 2
What forces - personal and political - caused Goya to paint the Black Paintings? Do you believe he was motivated more by the chaos in his own mind or the chaos in his country? Do you believe he intended the paintings to be seen by others or not? Support your thesis with evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Fear is an overarching theme in this play. Select any two characters. Explain how fear motivated their actions, what they did in response to fear, and how the story might have been different if they had been unafraid.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)