|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does King Ferdinand infer that Father Duaso is Goya's friend?
2. in Part 2, Scene 3, how long has it been since Goya wrote to Martin Zapater?
3. What former order does Goya claim to obey?
4. What did King Ferdinand call his order to Goya regarding his court appearances?
5. In Part 2, Scene 2, what does Goya accuse Leocadia of looking like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What forces - personal and political - caused Goya to paint the Black Paintings? Do you believe he was motivated more by the chaos in his own mind or the chaos in his country? Do you believe he intended the paintings to be seen by others or not? Support your thesis with evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is an overarching theme in this play. Select any two characters. Explain how fear motivated their actions, what they did in response to fear, and how the story might have been different if they had been unafraid.
Essay Topic 3
Goya places great faith in the Bird-Men, people he believes to have conquered flight and to live in a more harmonious, advanced civilization. In an essay, explain what Goya wants them to do, who he thinks they are, and where he believes they come from. If they symbolize something, what is it? Support your ideas with quotations from Goya's speeches about them.
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)