|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does King Ferdinand infer that Father Duaso is Goya's friend?
2. Why does Goya tell Father Duaso he will not ask King Ferdinand's pardon?
3. What does Goya say is causing him to hear voices?
4. Why does Goya think Leocadia is no longer afraid?
5. Why does Dr. Arrieta think King Ferdinand will not execute Goya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goya places great faith in the Bird-Men, people he believes to have conquered flight and to live in a more harmonious, advanced civilization. In an essay, explain what Goya wants them to do, who he thinks they are, and where he believes they come from. If they symbolize something, what is it? Support your ideas with quotations from Goya's speeches about them.
Essay Topic 2
What forces - personal and political - caused Goya to paint the Black Paintings? Do you believe he was motivated more by the chaos in his own mind or the chaos in his country? Do you believe he intended the paintings to be seen by others or not? Support your thesis with evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the spyglass as a symbol between Goya and the King. Examine ways in which their fates are linked, yet held at a distance.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)