|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Arrieta speak frankly to Father Duaso?
2. What inquiry does King Ferdinand make as to Goya's state of mind in Part 2, Scene 1?
3. What does Leocadia tell Goya will happen to the button?
4. Why does Father Duaso says he must intercede for Goya with King Ferdinand?
5. How does Leocadia respond to Goya's accusations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What forces - personal and political - caused Goya to paint the Black Paintings? Do you believe he was motivated more by the chaos in his own mind or the chaos in his country? Do you believe he intended the paintings to be seen by others or not? Support your thesis with evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Goya says that the walls where he painted the Black Paintings "ooze fear." He says that he painted the things he feared. Select one of the paintings to explain what Goya might have feared when he painted it. Be sure to include the personal and or political situation that might have created the fear he expressed.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout history, Christians have persecuted others in the name of Jesus Christ, a result which seems strange considering his teachings of love and tolerance. Write an essay explaining your theory of how a scene such as you read in Part Two, Scene Four, could happen in Jesus' name.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)