|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first reason the voice of Mariquita gives Goya for suspecting Leocadia has made a deal with the king's men?
2. What does Father Duaso decide to do about his visit to Goya?
3. When did King Ferdinand issue the order to Goya regarding his court appearances?
4. Why does Dr. Arrieta suspect Father Duaso is operating on King Ferdinand's orders?
5. What else does Goya accuse Leocadia of doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goya places great faith in the Bird-Men, people he believes to have conquered flight and to live in a more harmonious, advanced civilization. In an essay, explain what Goya wants them to do, who he thinks they are, and where he believes they come from. If they symbolize something, what is it? Support your ideas with quotations from Goya's speeches about them.
Essay Topic 2
Animals as metaphors are used extensively in this play, and in the Black Paintings. In your essay, list the animals that are used and explain the metaphorical significance of each. You may need to use Internet research, as well as information that is given within the play itself.
Essay Topic 3
Fear is an overarching theme in this play. Select any two characters. Explain how fear motivated their actions, what they did in response to fear, and how the story might have been different if they had been unafraid.
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)