|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advancement has Father Duaso recently received?
2. What is the last sound we hear in Part 1, Scene 2?
3. Why does Dr. Arrieta determine that Leocadia is nervous and distraught?
4. What sound frightens King Ferdinand?
5. How many of Goya's "black paintings" are seen during this play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Goya done with his property that alarms Leocadia?
2. Why does Dr. Arrieta not expect help for himself from Father Duaso?
3. Why did Goya turn back from his walk when he encountered the soldiers at the bridge?
4. What evidence does Goya have that Leocadia has been unfaithful to him?
5. Of what does Father Duaso accuse Leocadia without directly saying it?
6. What convinces King Ferdinand of Father Duaso's friendship for Goya?
7. What do you make of the fact that while Goya is being tormented in his dream, the dream figures tell him that the King is embroidering flowers?
8. What evidence does Goya give that he recognizes that his family is in danger?
9. What is the double meaning of Father Duaso's line, "Heat doesn't agree with me?"
10. How does Father Duaso feel about King Ferdinand's decision to force Goya to become submissive to the King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goya's last speech in the play is to look at Leocadia and say, "I'll never know." Do you think you know Leocadia's true position and character? Using evidence from the play, support your thesis about the kind of woman Leocadia actually was.
Essay Topic 2
An author may write to inform, persuade, or entertain his readers. Write an essay telling what you think Buero-Vallejo's purpose was in creating this play. What about it is universal? What theme do you think the playwright was addressing? Do you think Buero-Vallejo has met his goal?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the Masons? What about their teachings has caused them to be targeted for persecution? Learn what you can about this group and write an explanatory essay.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)