|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of subjects does King Ferdinand hope for?
2. What is Leocadia's second lie to Goya?
3. What does Leocadia want Dr. Arrieta to do?
4. Who is Martin Zapater?
5. What does Goya say Leocadia is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Arrieta reject Father Duaso's plan to persuade Goya to beg the king's pardon?
2. What does Gumersinda think of Leocadia?
3. What does Dr. Arrieta infer from Father Duaso's statement that they cannot visit Goya until after 8:00?
4. What is the theme of Goya's nightmare trial?
5. What quality does Father Duaso display when questioned by King Ferdinand about Goya?
6. Why does Dr. Arrieta not expect help for himself from Father Duaso?
7. What contrast exists between the physical description of King Ferdinand and his activities and speech?
8. What does Leocadia believe is the strongest proof of Goya's madness?
9. What does Dr. Arrieta say to assure Leocadia that Goya is not mad?
10. Which of the dream figures has the most power over Goya, and what do you make of that fact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goya says that the walls where he painted the Black Paintings "ooze fear." He says that he painted the things he feared. Select one of the paintings to explain what Goya might have feared when he painted it. Be sure to include the personal and or political situation that might have created the fear he expressed.
Essay Topic 2
Transformation is an important theme. Does anyone in this play change during the course of the action on stage? If so, who changes, and how?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is an overarching theme in this play. Select any two characters. Explain how fear motivated their actions, what they did in response to fear, and how the story might have been different if they had been unafraid.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)