|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Comunero?
2. What has Goya done with his estate?
3. What does Gumersinda say a wife would do for Goya?
4. Why was Goya denounced to the Holy Inquisition?
5. Why does King Ferdinand dislike Masons?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Father Duaso feel about King Ferdinand's decision to force Goya to become submissive to the King?
2. The imaginary figures that torment Goya say they do so in the name of the priest from Tamajon. Who is the priest from Tamajon?
3. How has Goya offended Calomarde?
4. What are possible reasons that Leocadia no longer seems to Goya to be afraid?
5. What surprises Father Duaso about Dr. Arrieta's request for help for Goya?
6. In the last scene, Goya says, "This is how it happens. It always happens." What does he mean?
7. How does King Ferdinand know that Goya opposes him?
8. Why does Goya hesitate to open Martin Zapater's letter?
9. What does Leocadia lie to Goya about in their first conversation?
10. Why did Goya turn back from his walk when he encountered the soldiers at the bridge?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay detailing the impact of this play on you as a reader. What did you learn that you hadn't known before? What ideas were you led to consider that may not have occurred to you before? Was reading the play a pleasant experience? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Buero-Vallejo's "immersion technique" for someone who has never heard of it. Explain the technical effects, both auditory and visual, giving examples. Include your own responses to the technique and your evaluation of its effectiveness as compelling theater.
Essay Topic 3
An author may write to inform, persuade, or entertain his readers. Write an essay telling what you think Buero-Vallejo's purpose was in creating this play. What about it is universal? What theme do you think the playwright was addressing? Do you think Buero-Vallejo has met his goal?
This section contains 1,614 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)