|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does King Ferdinand dislike Masons?
2. What special effort has Dr. Arrieta made for Goya?
3. How does King Ferdinand respond to the frightening sound?
4. How does King Ferdinand characterize Goya to Calomarde?
5. What is King Ferdinand's opinion of Goya after reading the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice does Mariquita's voice offer to Goya in Part 2, Scene 2?
2. In what has Goya defied King Ferdinand?
3. Why does Goya hesitate to open Martin Zapater's letter?
4. Does Goya know that the meowing he hears is an auditory hallucination?
5. To what animals does Goya compare Leocadia and Gumersinda during their conversation?
6. What is the Green Book?
7. Why does Dr. Arrieta hesitate to frighten Goya?
8. What evidence does Goya have that Leocadia has been unfaithful to him?
9. Why does Goya call the horrifying scene of the Royal Volunteers attacking his home a "comedy?"
10. Why does Leocadia take Goya's dementia personally?
Essay Topic 1
At different points in the play, several characters say, "Is that the way you repay me?" Who says this, to whom, and in what situations? What does this tell you about the way the speaker views himself or herself? Their relationship to other characters? In your essay, analyze this question.
Essay Topic 2
What forces - personal and political - caused Goya to paint the Black Paintings? Do you believe he was motivated more by the chaos in his own mind or the chaos in his country? Do you believe he intended the paintings to be seen by others or not? Support your thesis with evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the Masons? What about their teachings has caused them to be targeted for persecution? Learn what you can about this group and write an explanatory essay.
This section contains 1,630 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)