Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does King Ferdinand dislike Masons?
2. What special effort has Dr. Arrieta made for Goya?
3. How does King Ferdinand respond to the frightening sound?
4. How does King Ferdinand characterize Goya to Calomarde?
5. What is King Ferdinand's opinion of Goya after reading the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice does Mariquita's voice offer to Goya in Part 2, Scene 2?
2. In what has Goya defied King Ferdinand?
3. Why does Goya hesitate to open Martin Zapater's letter?
4. Does Goya know that the meowing he hears is an auditory hallucination?
5. To what animals does Goya compare Leocadia and Gumersinda during their conversation?
6. What is the Green Book?
7. Why does Dr. Arrieta hesitate to frighten Goya?
8. What evidence does Goya have that Leocadia has been unfaithful to him?
9. Why does Goya call the horrifying scene of the Royal Volunteers attacking his home a "comedy?"
10. Why does Leocadia take Goya's dementia personally?
Describe Buero-Vallejo's "immersion technique" for someone who has never heard of it. Explain the technical effects, both auditory and visual, giving examples. Include your own responses to the technique and your evaluation of its effectiveness as compelling theater.
At the end of the play, Goya arrives at more than one startling conclusion about himself and his fellow man. Write an essay explaining what those conclusions are, and what prompted Goya to realize them.
An author may write to inform, persuade, or entertain his readers. Write an essay telling what you think Buero-Vallejo's purpose was in creating this play. What about it is universal? What theme do you think the playwright was addressing? Do you think Buero-Vallejo has met his goal?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)