Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does King Ferdinand dislike Masons?
2. What special effort has Dr. Arrieta made for Goya?
3. How does King Ferdinand respond to the frightening sound?
4. How does King Ferdinand characterize Goya to Calomarde?
5. What is King Ferdinand's opinion of Goya after reading the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice does Mariquita's voice offer to Goya in Part 2, Scene 2?
2. In what has Goya defied King Ferdinand?
3. Why does Goya hesitate to open Martin Zapater's letter?
4. Does Goya know that the meowing he hears is an auditory hallucination?
5. To what animals does Goya compare Leocadia and Gumersinda during their conversation?
6. What is the Green Book?
7. Why does Dr. Arrieta hesitate to frighten Goya?
8. What evidence does Goya have that Leocadia has been unfaithful to him?
9. Why does Goya call the horrifying scene of the Royal Volunteers attacking his home a "comedy?"
10. Why does Leocadia take Goya's dementia personally?
Essay Topic 1
Goya says that the walls where he painted the Black Paintings "ooze fear." He says that he painted the things he feared. Select one of the paintings to explain what Goya might have feared when he painted it. Be sure to include the personal and or political situation that might have created the fear he expressed.
Essay Topic 2
What forces - personal and political - caused Goya to paint the Black Paintings? Do you believe he was motivated more by the chaos in his own mind or the chaos in his country? Do you believe he intended the paintings to be seen by others or not? Support your thesis with evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Fear is an overarching theme in this play. Select any two characters. Explain how fear motivated their actions, what they did in response to fear, and how the story might have been different if they had been unafraid.
This section contains 1,630 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)