|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Goya's children?
2. What does Leocadia call Goya?
3. What does Leocadia want Dr. Arrieta to do?
4. How does King Ferdinand characterize Goya to Calomarde?
5. What activity occupies King Ferdinand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you believe that Leocadia has been unfaithful to Goya with the sergeant of the Royal Volunteers? Why or why not?
2. What is Dr. Arrieta's theory in Part 2, Scene 3 of King Ferdinand's plan for Goya?
3. In what has Goya defied King Ferdinand?
4. What quality does Father Duaso display when questioned by King Ferdinand about Goya?
5. How does Father Duaso feel about King Ferdinand's decision to force Goya to become submissive to the King?
6. How does Dr. Arrieta offend Father Duaso?
7. Why does Goya hesitate to open Martin Zapater's letter?
8. When King Ferdinand questions Father Duaso's characterization of Goya as "tranquil," Father Duaso goes farther and says that Goya appears "undaunted." Realizing that this description may be an error, how does Father Duaso retreat from what he has said?
9. To what animals does Goya compare Leocadia and Gumersinda during their conversation?
10. What is the theme of Goya's nightmare trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Animals as metaphors are used extensively in this play, and in the Black Paintings. In your essay, list the animals that are used and explain the metaphorical significance of each. You may need to use Internet research, as well as information that is given within the play itself.
Essay Topic 2
A great work of literature needs to have elements of universality. If you are not a great painter who has lost his hearing or his political security, you are not like Goya in those ways. And yet Dr. Arrieta tells Goya that we are all deaf and deserving of pity. In your essay, explain what you think Dr. Arrieta meant, tell whether you agree with him, and explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Goya places great faith in the Bird-Men, people he believes to have conquered flight and to live in a more harmonious, advanced civilization. In an essay, explain what Goya wants them to do, who he thinks they are, and where he believes they come from. If they symbolize something, what is it? Support your ideas with quotations from Goya's speeches about them.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)