|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gumersinda admonish Leocadia to show no fear to Goya?
2. What imaginary creatures does Goya paint and believe to be real?
3. What does the audience learn about Leocadia's husband from Gumersinda's remarks?
4. Where is Leocadia in Goya's painting?
5. What does Goya accuse Leocadia of doing at the bridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Father Duaso uses a word to describe Goya that seems entirely out of character with the Goya depicted in this play when he tells King Ferdinand that Goya seems "inoffensive" and "tranquil." What possible motive might Father Duaso have for such a description?
2. How does King Ferdinand know that Goya opposes him?
3. Why does Dr. Arrieta not expect help for himself from Father Duaso?
4. In the last scene, Goya says, "This is how it happens. It always happens." What does he mean?
5. How is Goya's situation with King Ferdinand impossible?
6. When King Ferdinand questions Father Duaso's characterization of Goya as "tranquil," Father Duaso goes farther and says that Goya appears "undaunted." Realizing that this description may be an error, how does Father Duaso retreat from what he has said?
7. Why does Goya call the horrifying scene of the Royal Volunteers attacking his home a "comedy?"
8. What evidence does Goya give that he recognizes that his family is in danger?
9. Why does Goya hesitate to open Martin Zapater's letter?
10. How does King Ferdinand evaluate Goya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Animals as metaphors are used extensively in this play, and in the Black Paintings. In your essay, list the animals that are used and explain the metaphorical significance of each. You may need to use Internet research, as well as information that is given within the play itself.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Buero-Vallejo's "immersion technique" for someone who has never heard of it. Explain the technical effects, both auditory and visual, giving examples. Include your own responses to the technique and your evaluation of its effectiveness as compelling theater.
Essay Topic 3
Goya places great faith in the Bird-Men, people he believes to have conquered flight and to live in a more harmonious, advanced civilization. In an essay, explain what Goya wants them to do, who he thinks they are, and where he believes they come from. If they symbolize something, what is it? Support your ideas with quotations from Goya's speeches about them.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)