|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Leocadia's daughter Mariquita?
2. What artifact does Goya keep that is the same as King Ferdinand's?
3. Why does Dr. Arrieta determine that Leocadia is nervous and distraught?
4. What does Gumersinda say a wife would do for Goya?
5. Who is Juan Pablo Bonet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you make of the fact that while Goya is being tormented in his dream, the dream figures tell him that the King is embroidering flowers?
2. Why do you think Father Duaso doesn't tell Dr. Arrieta that King Ferdinand has forbidden him to visit Goya until after 8:00?
3. What does Leocadia lie to Goya about in their first conversation?
4. Why does Dr. Arrieta reject Father Duaso's plan to persuade Goya to beg the king's pardon?
5. To what animals does Goya compare Leocadia and Gumersinda during their conversation?
6. Why did Goya turn back from his walk when he encountered the soldiers at the bridge?
7. When King Ferdinand questions Father Duaso's characterization of Goya as "tranquil," Father Duaso goes farther and says that Goya appears "undaunted." Realizing that this description may be an error, how does Father Duaso retreat from what he has said?
8. Does Goya know that the meowing he hears is an auditory hallucination?
9. What quality does Father Duaso display when questioned by King Ferdinand about Goya?
10. Of what does Father Duaso accuse Leocadia without directly saying it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A great work of literature needs to have elements of universality. If you are not a great painter who has lost his hearing or his political security, you are not like Goya in those ways. And yet Dr. Arrieta tells Goya that we are all deaf and deserving of pity. In your essay, explain what you think Dr. Arrieta meant, tell whether you agree with him, and explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay detailing the impact of this play on you as a reader. What did you learn that you hadn't known before? What ideas were you led to consider that may not have occurred to you before? Was reading the play a pleasant experience? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Goya says that the walls where he painted the Black Paintings "ooze fear." He says that he painted the things he feared. Select one of the paintings to explain what Goya might have feared when he painted it. Be sure to include the personal and or political situation that might have created the fear he expressed.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)