|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leocadia's second lie to Goya?
2. What imaginary creatures does Goya paint and believe to be real?
3. Who is Juan Pablo Bonet?
4. What advancement has Father Duaso recently received?
5. How does Leocadia evaluate Goya's recent paintings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Goya done with his property that alarms Leocadia?
2. Why does Dr. Arrieta not expect help for himself from Father Duaso?
3. How has Goya offended Calomarde?
4. What choice does Goya make between engaging with Leocadia and auto-erotic activity? How do you know?
5. The imaginary figures that torment Goya say they do so in the name of the priest from Tamajon. Who is the priest from Tamajon?
6. Does Goya know that the meowing he hears is an auditory hallucination?
7. What evidence does Goya have that Leocadia has been unfaithful to him?
8. What advice does King Ferdinand give Father Duaso in dealing with Goya?
9. What did Goya see Leocadia doing behind his back?
10. What is revealed in Part 1, Scene 1 about how King Ferdinand deals with his enemies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goya says that the walls where he painted the Black Paintings "ooze fear." He says that he painted the things he feared. Select one of the paintings to explain what Goya might have feared when he painted it. Be sure to include the personal and or political situation that might have created the fear he expressed.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay detailing the impact of this play on you as a reader. What did you learn that you hadn't known before? What ideas were you led to consider that may not have occurred to you before? Was reading the play a pleasant experience? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What forces - personal and political - caused Goya to paint the Black Paintings? Do you believe he was motivated more by the chaos in his own mind or the chaos in his country? Do you believe he intended the paintings to be seen by others or not? Support your thesis with evidence from the play.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)