|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weapon does Goya keep near him?
(a) A sword.
(b) A mallet.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A knife.
2. Why does Leocadia think Goya is demented?
(a) He misjudges her.
(b) He is always sad.
(c) He hears things and talks to invisible beings.
(d) He won't ask King Ferdinand's pardon.
3. What sound does it seem to Goya that Leocadia makes when she talks?
(a) A donkey's bray.
(b) A hen's cackling.
(c) A bat's screech.
(d) A cat's meow.
4. What happens to the dialogue enclosed between these << >> symbols?
(a) It is spoken but unheard.
(b) It is shouted.
(c) It is directed at the audience.
(d) It is not spoken.
5. Who is Juan Pablo Bonet?
(a) A magistrate.
(b) A neighbor of Goya's.
(c) The inventor of a sign language.
(d) A Spanish painter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the dialogue in quotation marks?
2. How does Goya resolve the controversy between Gumersinda and Leocadia about where to celebrate Christmas?
3. Who is Vicente Lopez?
4. Hearing his shouts, what does Leocadia suggest must have happened to Goya?
5. What sound annoys Goya as he tries to paint?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Father Duaso about Dr. Arrieta's request for help for Goya?
2. Why does Dr. Arrieta hesitate to frighten Goya?
3. In the last scene, Goya says, "This is how it happens. It always happens." What does he mean?
4. What evidence is there in Part 1, Scene 1 that King Ferdinand sees through Calomarde's flattery and does not trust him?
5. What do you make of the fact that while Goya is being tormented in his dream, the dream figures tell him that the King is embroidering flowers?
6. How are King Ferdinand and Goya alike?
7. What evidence does Leocadia offer Dr. Arrieta to show that Goya has lost his mind?
8. What choice does Goya make between engaging with Leocadia and auto-erotic activity? How do you know?
9. Why did Goya turn back from his walk when he encountered the soldiers at the bridge?
10. Do you believe that Leocadia has been unfaithful to Goya with the sergeant of the Royal Volunteers? Why or why not?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)