|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Arrieta want to protect Goya from information about King Ferdinand's decrees?
(a) He is afraid that Goya won't believe him.
(b) He is worried that Goya will do something violent.
(c) He is worried that fear may jeopardize his health.
(d) He is afraid that Goya will attack the king.
2. Who is Juan Pablo Bonet?
(a) A magistrate.
(b) A Spanish painter.
(c) A neighbor of Goya's.
(d) The inventor of a sign language.
3. How many of Goya's "black paintings" are seen during this play?
4. What kind of subjects does King Ferdinand hope for?
(a) Fighting cocks.
(b) Loyal and fearless.
(c) Courageous and intelligent.
(d) Obedient and frightened.
5. What sound frightens King Ferdinand?
(a) The wind.
(b) A scream.
(c) A knock at the door.
(d) A beating heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last sound we hear in Part 1, Scene 2?
2. How does Gumersinda insult Leocadia?
3. What is the Green Book?
4. What does Leocadia call Goya?
5. What is Leocadia's second lie to Goya?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does King Ferdinand know that Goya opposes him?
2. What contrast exists between the physical description of King Ferdinand and his activities and speech?
3. How does King Ferdinand ensure that Father Duaso will arrive at Goya's house after the Royal Volunteers?
4. What do you make of the fact that while Goya is being tormented in his dream, the dream figures tell him that the King is embroidering flowers?
5. What are possible reasons that Leocadia no longer seems to Goya to be afraid?
6. In the last scene, Goya says, "This is how it happens. It always happens." What does he mean?
7. What is the double meaning of Father Duaso's line, "Heat doesn't agree with me?"
8. What does Dr. Arrieta infer from Father Duaso's statement that they cannot visit Goya until after 8:00?
9. What is the theme of Goya's nightmare trial?
10. How are King Ferdinand and Goya alike?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)