|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the audience learn about Leocadia's husband from Gumersinda's remarks?
(a) He is infirm.
(b) He is patient and hopeful.
(c) He is younger than Goya.
(d) He is cruel and violent.
2. Where does Gumersinda want to celebrate Christmas?
(a) In France.
(b) At the Costa del Sol.
(c) At Gumersinda's house.
(d) At Goya's house.
3. What was the effect of the Constitution of 1812?
(a) Expanding the King's power.
(b) Curtailing the King's power.
(c) Exiling the dissenters.
(d) Creating a parliament.
4. Why was Goya denounced to the Holy Inquisition?
(a) For having children out of wedlock.
(b) For living with another man's wife.
(c) For insulting King Ferdinand.
(d) For painting a nude woman.
5. How does Leocadia believe Goya's family feels about him?
(a) They are heartbroken at his increasing weakness.
(b) They are worried that he is in danger.
(c) They are like vultures waiting for him to die.
(d) They are trying to cheat him out of his estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom has King Ferdinand declared the death penalty?
2. How does Gumersinda insult Leocadia?
3. What advancement has Father Duaso recently received?
4. Where is Leocadia in Goya's painting?
5. Why does King Ferdinand refuse to start another Inquisition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there in Part 1, Scene 1 that King Ferdinand sees through Calomarde's flattery and does not trust him?
2. What is the theme of Goya's nightmare trial?
3. How does King Ferdinand know that Goya opposes him?
4. Of what does Father Duaso accuse Leocadia without directly saying it?
5. What did Goya see Leocadia doing behind his back?
6. What does Dr. Arrieta say to assure Leocadia that Goya is not mad?
7. What is the double meaning of Father Duaso's line, "Heat doesn't agree with me?"
8. Why does Goya call the horrifying scene of the Royal Volunteers attacking his home a "comedy?"
9. How does King Ferdinand evaluate Goya?
10. How did King Ferdinand punish Goya?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)