|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does King Ferdinand refuse to start another Inquisition?
(a) He regrets the harm that was done.
(b) He wants to preserve the church's reputation.
(c) He believes injustices were commited.
(d) He wants absolute power.
2. Who is Martin Zapater?
(a) Goya's childhood friend.
(b) Goya's brother-in-law.
(c) Goya's neighbor.
(d) Goya's critic.
3. How does Goya react to the sounds he imagines Gumersinda and Leocadia making when they speak?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He is moved to tears.
(c) He believes his hearing is restored.
(d) He is frightened.
4. Where are Goya's children?
(a) In the woods.
(b) At the home of Martin Zapater.
(c) At the home of an architect named Perez.
(d) At the home of Dr. Arrieta.
5. Why does Goya say those who painted the cross on his door must be theologians?
(a) They were sent by the Inquisition.
(b) They wrote the word "heretic."
(c) They came on behalf of the church.
(d) They used the symbol of the cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leocadia call Goya insane?
2. Why was Goya denounced to the Holy Inquisition?
3. What does Goya say Leocadia is?
4. How old is Leocadia's son Guillermo?
5. What royal decree frightens Leocadia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gumersinda think of Leocadia?
2. How does Father Duaso feel about King Ferdinand's decision to force Goya to become submissive to the King?
3. What evidence does Goya have that Leocadia has been unfaithful to him?
4. In what has Goya defied King Ferdinand?
5. What does Dr. Arrieta say to assure Leocadia that Goya is not mad?
6. What is the theme of Goya's nightmare trial?
7. Of what does Father Duaso accuse Leocadia without directly saying it?
8. When King Ferdinand questions Father Duaso's characterization of Goya as "tranquil," Father Duaso goes farther and says that Goya appears "undaunted." Realizing that this description may be an error, how does Father Duaso retreat from what he has said?
9. What choice does Goya make between engaging with Leocadia and auto-erotic activity? How do you know?
10. What contrast exists between the physical description of King Ferdinand and his activities and speech?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)