|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Leocadia think Goya is demented?
(a) He won't ask King Ferdinand's pardon.
(b) He is always sad.
(c) He hears things and talks to invisible beings.
(d) He misjudges her.
2. What sound does it seem to Goya that Gumersinda makes when she talks?
(a) A donkey's bray.
(b) A hen's cackling.
(c) A bat's screech.
(d) A cat's meow.
3. Where did King Ferdinand learn needlework?
(a) In exile.
(b) At his aunt's country estate.
(c) In the winter castle.
(d) At his mother's knee.
4. What is the picture on the wall during most of Part 1, Scene 2?
(a) Witches' Sabbath.
(d) Saturn eating his child.
5. What weapon does Goya keep near him?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A sword.
(c) A mallet.
(d) A knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the effect of the Constitution of 1812?
2. What does Gumersinda say a wife would do for Goya?
3. How does Gumersinda insult Leocadia?
4. What does the audience learn about Leocadia's husband from Gumersinda's remarks?
5. Why does Leocadia call Goya insane?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Goya offended Calomarde?
2. In what has Goya defied King Ferdinand?
3. What evidence does Leocadia offer Dr. Arrieta to show that Goya has lost his mind?
4. What surprises Father Duaso about Dr. Arrieta's request for help for Goya?
5. What quality does Father Duaso display when questioned by King Ferdinand about Goya?
6. Father Duaso uses a word to describe Goya that seems entirely out of character with the Goya depicted in this play when he tells King Ferdinand that Goya seems "inoffensive" and "tranquil." What possible motive might Father Duaso have for such a description?
7. Goya's nightmare is interrupted by knocking. Who has come, and who does Goya hope has come, to the door?
8. Why does Goya call the horrifying scene of the Royal Volunteers attacking his home a "comedy?"
9. What do you make of the fact that while Goya is being tormented in his dream, the dream figures tell him that the King is embroidering flowers?
10. What evidence does Goya have that Leocadia has been unfaithful to him?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)