|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. in Part 2, Scene 2, what does Goya accuse Leocadia of doing?
(a) Planning a secret departure.
(b) Buying their safety by selling his paintings.
(c) Making a deal with someone.
(d) Hiring new servants.
2. Why does Dr. Arrieta suspect Father Duaso is operating on King Ferdinand's orders?
(a) Father Duaso is an honest man.
(b) Father Duaso is duplicitous.
(c) Father Duaso trusts King Ferdinand.
(d) Father Duaso is a priest loyal to the throne.
3. What does Goya learn from Leocadia about the postman?
(a) He hasn't been there yet today.
(b) He hasn't come for two days.
(c) He has come twice with urgent messages.
(d) He is on strike.
4. What does Dr. Arrieta suggest that Goya's peaceful state of mind implies?
(a) Inner peace.
(c) Declining technical skill.
(d) A clear conscience.
5. What does King Ferdinand say about fear?
(a) It is a Christian virtue.
(b) It is to be avoided.
(c) It is to be forgiven.
(d) It is to be encouraged.
6. Why does the voice of Mariquita suggest that Leocadia has the button of an army officer?
(a) The button is a talisman to keep the house safe.
(b) The button is a secret signal between the officer and Leocadia.
(c) The button came off, and Leocadia offered to sew it back.
(d) The officer gave Leocadia the button for a present.
7. How does Leocadia respond to Goya's accusations?
(a) Leocadia becomes angry and storms out.
(b) Leocadia tries to make love to Goya.
(c) Leocadia becomes angry and hits him.
(d) Leocadia admits that he is right.
8. What is the second reason the voice of Mariquita gives Goya for suspecting Leocadia has made a deal with the King's men?
(a) No one paints crosses on the door.
(b) No one has taken Goya to prison.
(c) No more rocks have been thrown at the house.
(d) No one paints crosses on the door.
9. What does Leocadia tell Goya will happen to the button?
(a) Leocadia will sell it.
(b) Leocadia will use it to gain entry to the palace.
(c) Leocadia will keep it forever.
(d) The soldier will come to retrieve it.
10. What solution does Father Duaso offer for Goya's dilemma?
(a) Father Duaso will help Goya escape to France.
(b) Father Duaso will plead with the king on Goya's behalf.
(c) Father Duaso will go with Goya to apologize to the king.
(d) Father Duaso will help Goya barricade the house.
11. What is Father Duaso's second excuse for Goya's refusal to come to the palace?
(a) Goya is losing his sight.
(b) Goya is afraid he can't paint to King Ferdinand's taste.
(c) Goya believes himself to be in decline.
(d) Goya believes Vicente Lopez is a better painter.
12. What do the unnamed women's voices suggest that Goya do?
(a) Look for the button.
(b) Look for Mariquita.
(c) Look for Leocadia.
(d) Look for the memory of women.
13. Why is Dr. Arrieta afraid in Part 2, Scene 12?
(a) Dr. Arrieta is worried for Goya's welfare.
(b) Dr. Arrieta has been placed under arrest.
(c) Dr. Arrieta is concerned about the future of Spain.
(d) Someone has painted a cross on Dr. Arrieta's door.
14. What does Dr. Arrieta say would satisfy King Ferdinand's desire for revenge on Goya?
(a) If Goya were courageous.
(b) If Goya were contrite.
(c) If Goya were terrified.
(d) If Goya were banished.
15. How does Father Duaso report to King Ferdinand that Goya actually feels?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Goya learn when he receives a letter from Martin Zapater?
2. What question does Father Duaso ask Dr. Arrieta as they leave to visit Goya?
3. When does King Ferdinand instruct Father Duaso to make his visit to Goya?
4. What does King Ferdinand insist Goya must do without any reassurance that the king has rescinded his decree?
5. Why does the voice of Mariquita tell Goya she has come?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)