|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Arrieta say that saving Goya might destroy him?
(a) Goya is on the line between terror and insanity.
(b) Goya is on the line between France and Spain.
(c) Goya is on the line between loyalty and anarchy.
(d) Goya is on the line between truth and falsehood.
2. In Part 2, how does King Ferdinand say Goya should feel?
3. What does Leocadia tell Goya will happen to the button?
(a) Leocadia will keep it forever.
(b) Leocadia will use it to gain entry to the palace.
(c) The soldier will come to retrieve it.
(d) Leocadia will sell it.
4. When did King Ferdinand issue the order to Goya regarding his court appearances?
5. What do the unnamed women's voices suggest that Goya do?
(a) Look for Mariquita.
(b) Look for the button.
(c) Look for Leocadia.
(d) Look for the memory of women.
6. What does King Ferdinand suspect Dr. Arrieta of being?
(a) A Jew.
(b) A liberal.
(c) A Mason.
(d) A comunero.
7. What is Dr. Arrieta's opinion of Goya's current state in Part 2, Scene 3?
(a) Goya is no longer a great painter.
(b) Goya has become a great painter.
(c) Goya's best work is yet to come.
(d) Goya is a national treasure.
8. What does Dr. Arrieta think Goya should do in Part 2, Scene 3?
(a) Paint the king's portrait.
(b) Leave the country.
(c) Apologize to the king.
(d) Go into hiding.
9. What rumor is circulating about Father Duaso?
(a) That he is hiding endangered countrymen.
(b) That he intercepted Goya's letter.
(c) That he is King Ferdinand's executioner.
(d) That he is King Ferdinand's operative.
10. What sounds torment Goya as he paints "Witches' Sabbath?"
(a) Women laughing and bats screeching.
(b) Women laughing and owls screeching.
(c) Cats meowing and owls screeching.
(d) Bats screeching and cats meowing.
11. Why can't Dr. Arrieta help Goya?
(a) Dr. Arrieta is endangered himself.
(b) Dr. Arrieta has no connections at court.
(c) Dr. Arrieta is unknown to King Ferdinand.
(d) Dr. Arrieta is too frightened to help.
12. What tricks is Goya's mind playing on him as he talks with Leocadia?
(a) Goya hears Leocadia's voice trying to deceive him.
(b) Goya hears Leocadia's voice begging him to forgive her.
(c) Goya hears Leocadia's voice say cruel things to him.
(d) Goya hears Leocadia's voice screaming.
13. Why does the voice of Mariquita suggest that Leocadia has the button of an army officer?
(a) The button is a talisman to keep the house safe.
(b) The button is a secret signal between the officer and Leocadia.
(c) The officer gave Leocadia the button for a present.
(d) The button came off, and Leocadia offered to sew it back.
14. Why does Dr. Arrieta suspect Father Duaso is operating on King Ferdinand's orders?
(a) Father Duaso is a priest loyal to the throne.
(b) Father Duaso is duplicitous.
(c) Father Duaso is an honest man.
(d) Father Duaso trusts King Ferdinand.
15. How has Leocadia changed since the servants left?
(a) She is weary and disheveled.
(b) She is calmer and more relaxed.
(c) She is frightened.
(d) She is cheerful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King Ferdinand tell Father Duaso to do to convince Goya to ask the king's pardon?
2. What does Father Duaso decide to do about his visit to Goya?
3. What is the first reason the voice of Mariquita gives Goya for suspecting Leocadia has made a deal with the king's men?
4. What confuses Dr. Arrieta about Father Duaso's invitation to visit Goya?
5. How does King Ferdinand infer that Father Duaso is Goya's friend?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)