|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Father Duaso decide to do about his visit to Goya?
(a) Father Duaso decides not to visit Goya.
(b) Father Duaso decides to go before 8:00 p.m.
(c) Father Duaso decides to wait until after 8:00 p.m.
(d) Father Duaso decides to take a guard to visit Goya.
2. What former order does Goya claim to obey?
(a) King Ferdinand had ordered Goya to leave the country.
(b) King Ferdinand had told Goya never to appear at the palace.
(c) King Ferdinand had told Goya never to appear at the palace unless summoned.
(d) King Ferdinand had given Goya free reign to paint according to his own muse.
3. What inquiry does King Ferdinand make as to Goya's state of mind in Part 2, Scene 1?
(a) Is he afraid?
(b) Is he tranquil?
(c) Is he content?
(d) Is he angry?
4. Why does Dr. Arrieta say that saving Goya might destroy him?
(a) Goya is on the line between truth and falsehood.
(b) Goya is on the line between France and Spain.
(c) Goya is on the line between terror and insanity.
(d) Goya is on the line between loyalty and anarchy.
5. What is Father Duaso's first excuse for Goya's refusal to come to the palace?
(a) Goya believes Vicente Lopez is a better painter.
(b) Goya believes himself to be in decline.
(c) Goya is afraid he can't paint to King Ferdinand's taste.
(d) Goya is losing his sight.
6. What does Goya learn when he receives a letter from Martin Zapater?
(a) That Martin Zapater is coming to visit.
(b) That Martin Zapater is under suspicion.
(c) That Goya's letter to Martin Zapater was intercepted.
(d) That Martin Zapater has been arrested.
7. At the end of Part 2, Scene 3, what does Dr. Arrieta quote Goya as saying?
(a) "The King will never bother me."
(b) "The sleep of reason produces monsters."
(c) "Spain is being destroyed."
(d) "The King is a blockhead."
8. What does King Ferdinand suspect Dr. Arrieta of being?
(a) A Jew.
(b) A Mason.
(c) A liberal.
(d) A comunero.
9. Why does Leocadia say she accepted the button?
(a) From love.
(b) From fear.
(c) From curiosity.
(d) From greed.
10. What does Dr. Arrieta say would satisfy King Ferdinand's desire for revenge on Goya?
(a) If Goya were terrified.
(b) If Goya were banished.
(c) If Goya were contrite.
(d) If Goya were courageous.
11. What is Father Duaso's second excuse for Goya's refusal to come to the palace?
(a) Goya is losing his sight.
(b) Goya is afraid he can't paint to King Ferdinand's taste.
(c) Goya believes himself to be in decline.
(d) Goya believes Vicente Lopez is a better painter.
12. What does King Ferdinand insist Goya must do without any reassurance that the king has rescinded his decree?
(a) Paint King Ferdinand's portrait.
(b) Ask pardon.
(c) Demonstrate contrition.
(d) Come to the court.
13. Why would executing Goya cause a scandal?
(a) Goya's new paintings are popular.
(b) Goya's a renowed artist uninvolved in politics.
(c) Goya's loyalty to the throne is well-known.
(d) Goya has powerful friends.
14. What else does Goya accuse Leocadia of doing?
(a) Delivering messages from King Ferdinand.
(b) Selling her body to keep their house safe.
(c) Hiding their children.
(d) Conspiring with the liberals.
15. How does Leocadia respond to Goya's accusations?
(a) Leocadia becomes angry and hits him.
(b) Leocadia becomes angry and storms out.
(c) Leocadia tries to make love to Goya.
(d) Leocadia admits that he is right.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Goya react to Father Duaso's offer to intercede for him?
2. Why does Dr. Arrieta speak frankly to Father Duaso?
3. in Part 2, Scene 1, what does Father Duaso offer to do for King Ferdinand?
4. in Part 2, Scene 3, how long has it been since Goya wrote to Martin Zapater?
5. Why does the voice of Mariquita tell Goya she has come?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)