|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Arrieta say would satisfy King Ferdinand's desire for revenge on Goya?
(a) If Goya were banished.
(b) If Goya were courageous.
(c) If Goya were contrite.
(d) If Goya were terrified.
2. What is Father Duaso's second excuse for Goya's refusal to come to the palace?
(a) Goya is losing his sight.
(b) Goya is afraid he can't paint to King Ferdinand's taste.
(c) Goya believes himself to be in decline.
(d) Goya believes Vicente Lopez is a better painter.
3. What former order does Goya claim to obey?
(a) King Ferdinand had ordered Goya to leave the country.
(b) King Ferdinand had told Goya never to appear at the palace.
(c) King Ferdinand had told Goya never to appear at the palace unless summoned.
(d) King Ferdinand had given Goya free reign to paint according to his own muse.
4. How has Leocadia changed since the servants left?
(a) She is cheerful.
(b) She is frightened.
(c) She is weary and disheveled.
(d) She is calmer and more relaxed.
5. What does Father Duaso decide to do about his visit to Goya?
(a) Father Duaso decides to go before 8:00 p.m.
(b) Father Duaso decides not to visit Goya.
(c) Father Duaso decides to wait until after 8:00 p.m.
(d) Father Duaso decides to take a guard to visit Goya.
6. What sounds torment Goya as he paints "Witches' Sabbath?"
(a) Bats screeching and cats meowing.
(b) Cats meowing and owls screeching.
(c) Women laughing and owls screeching.
(d) Women laughing and bats screeching.
7. What inquiry does King Ferdinand make as to Goya's state of mind in Part 2, Scene 1?
(a) Is he tranquil?
(b) Is he content?
(c) Is he afraid?
(d) Is he angry?
8. What solution does Father Duaso offer for Goya's dilemma?
(a) Father Duaso will help Goya escape to France.
(b) Father Duaso will plead with the king on Goya's behalf.
(c) Father Duaso will help Goya barricade the house.
(d) Father Duaso will go with Goya to apologize to the king.
9. When does King Ferdinand instruct Father Duaso to make his visit to Goya?
(a) Before 8:00 p.m.
(b) After 8:00 a.m.
(c) After 8:00 p.m.
(d) Before 8:00 a.m.
10. What is Dr. Arrieta's opinion of Goya's current state in Part 2, Scene 3?
(a) Goya's best work is yet to come.
(b) Goya has become a great painter.
(c) Goya is a national treasure.
(d) Goya is no longer a great painter.
11. What does Dr. Arrieta suggest that Goya's peaceful state of mind implies?
(a) Inner peace.
(b) A clear conscience.
(c) Declining technical skill.
12. What decision does Dr. Arrieta present to Father Duaso?
(a) To report their visit to King Ferdinand.
(b) To delay their visit to Goya.
(c) To visit Goya before or after 8:00 p.m.
(d) To stay away from Goya.
13. What tricks is Goya's mind playing on him as he talks with Leocadia?
(a) Goya hears Leocadia's voice trying to deceive him.
(b) Goya hears Leocadia's voice say cruel things to him.
(c) Goya hears Leocadia's voice begging him to forgive her.
(d) Goya hears Leocadia's voice screaming.
14. What is the first reason the voice of Mariquita gives Goya for suspecting Leocadia has made a deal with the king's men?
(a) No one writes the word "heretic."
(b) No more rocks have been thrown at the house.
(c) No one has taken Goya to prison.
(d) No one paints crosses on the door.
15. What else does Goya accuse Leocadia of doing?
(a) Selling her body to keep their house safe.
(b) Hiding their children.
(c) Delivering messages from King Ferdinand.
(d) Conspiring with the liberals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Arrieta reject Father Duaso's solution?
2. Why does Dr. Arrieta speak frankly to Father Duaso?
3. When did King Ferdinand issue the order to Goya regarding his court appearances?
4. What punishment had King Ferdinand suggested for Goya when he issued the decree?
5. Where do Goya and Father Duaso both come from?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)