|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Goya learn from Leocadia about the postman?
(a) He hasn't come for two days.
(b) He hasn't been there yet today.
(c) He has come twice with urgent messages.
(d) He is on strike.
2. What rumor is circulating about Father Duaso?
(a) That he is hiding endangered countrymen.
(b) That he is King Ferdinand's executioner.
(c) That he is King Ferdinand's operative.
(d) That he intercepted Goya's letter.
3. What decision does Dr. Arrieta present to Father Duaso?
(a) To delay their visit to Goya.
(b) To visit Goya before or after 8:00 p.m.
(c) To stay away from Goya.
(d) To report their visit to King Ferdinand.
4. Why does Leocadia say she accepted the button?
(a) From greed.
(b) From fear.
(c) From love.
(d) From curiosity.
5. What realization comes to Father Duaso in Part 2, Scene 3?
(a) He can save Goya.
(b) He must report to King Ferdinand at once.
(c) He is Goya's true friend.
(d) He has fallen into a trap.
6. How does Father Duaso report to King Ferdinand that Goya actually feels?
7. What is Dr. Arrieta's opinion of Goya's current state in Part 2, Scene 3?
(a) Goya has become a great painter.
(b) Goya's best work is yet to come.
(c) Goya is a national treasure.
(d) Goya is no longer a great painter.
8. Why does Goya think Leocadia is no longer afraid?
(a) She has stopped crying.
(b) She no longer speaks of leaving.
(c) She whistles while she works.
(d) She has brought the children home.
9. Why does the voice of Mariquita suggest that Leocadia has the button of an army officer?
(a) The button came off, and Leocadia offered to sew it back.
(b) The button is a secret signal between the officer and Leocadia.
(c) The button is a talisman to keep the house safe.
(d) The officer gave Leocadia the button for a present.
10. What is Father Duaso's second excuse for Goya's refusal to come to the palace?
(a) Goya believes himself to be in decline.
(b) Goya is afraid he can't paint to King Ferdinand's taste.
(c) Goya is losing his sight.
(d) Goya believes Vicente Lopez is a better painter.
11. Why does Father Duaso says he must intercede for Goya with King Ferdinand?
(a) He has a strong affection for Goya.
(b) Leocadia has asked for his help.
(c) Goya has asked for his help.
(d) Father Duaso's conscience demands that he intercede.
12. Why does Dr. Arrieta worry about intervening in Goya's life?
(a) What if his smudges are actually great works?
(b) What if Goya is unable to paint if he is well?
(c) What if the present turmoil is the source of Goya's inspiration?
(d) What if saving him will make Goya stop painting?
13. What tricks is Goya's mind playing on him as he talks with Leocadia?
(a) Goya hears Leocadia's voice screaming.
(b) Goya hears Leocadia's voice say cruel things to him.
(c) Goya hears Leocadia's voice begging him to forgive her.
(d) Goya hears Leocadia's voice trying to deceive him.
14. In Part 2, how does King Ferdinand say Goya should feel?
15. What does Dr. Arrieta say would satisfy King Ferdinand's desire for revenge on Goya?
(a) If Goya were banished.
(b) If Goya were contrite.
(c) If Goya were terrified.
(d) If Goya were courageous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did King Ferdinand call his order to Goya regarding his court appearances?
2. What does Dr. Arrieta suggest that Goya's peaceful state of mind implies?
3. In Part 2, Scene 2, what does Goya accuse Leocadia of looking like?
4. What does King Ferdinand tell Father Duaso to do to convince Goya to ask the king's pardon?
5. What question does Father Duaso ask Dr. Arrieta as they leave to visit Goya?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)