|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the voice of Mariquita suggest that Leocadia has the button of an army officer?
(a) The button is a talisman to keep the house safe.
(b) The officer gave Leocadia the button for a present.
(c) The button came off, and Leocadia offered to sew it back.
(d) The button is a secret signal between the officer and Leocadia.
2. What sounds torment Goya as he paints "Witches' Sabbath?"
(a) Women laughing and bats screeching.
(b) Bats screeching and cats meowing.
(c) Cats meowing and owls screeching.
(d) Women laughing and owls screeching.
3. What does King Ferdinand suspect Dr. Arrieta of being?
(a) A liberal.
(b) A Mason.
(c) A Jew.
(d) A comunero.
4. What news does Dr. Arrieta give Father Duaso in Part 2, Scene 3?
(a) Goya is very ill.
(b) Goya's letter to Martin Zapater was intercepted.
(c) Leocadia is very ill.
(d) Goya has refused to apologize to King Ferdinand.
5. What does Leocadia tell Goya will happen to the button?
(a) Leocadia will use it to gain entry to the palace.
(b) Leocadia will keep it forever.
(c) The soldier will come to retrieve it.
(d) Leocadia will sell it.
6. What incident at Goya's home does Father Duaso report to King Ferdinand?
(a) There was a disagreement between Leocadia and Gumersinda.
(b) Someone painted a cross and wrote the word "heretic" on his door.
(c) Goya painted strange and ugly depictions on the wall.
(d) Goya had a fight with Leocadia.
7. How does Goya appear when Leocadia sees him in Part 2, Scene 2?
(a) He is rejuvenated.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is weak and tired.
(d) He is furious.
8. What does the voice of Mariquita first tell Goya has happened?
(a) Gumersinda has left the house.
(b) Mariquita has left the house.
(c) The servants have left the house.
(d) Leocadia has left the house.
9. Why is Dr. Arrieta afraid in Part 2, Scene 12?
(a) Dr. Arrieta is concerned about the future of Spain.
(b) Dr. Arrieta is worried for Goya's welfare.
(c) Someone has painted a cross on Dr. Arrieta's door.
(d) Dr. Arrieta has been placed under arrest.
10. In Part 2, Scene 2, what does Goya accuse Leocadia of looking like?
(a) A witch.
(b) A mother.
(c) A martyr.
(d) A lover.
11. Why would executing Goya cause a scandal?
(a) Goya's new paintings are popular.
(b) Goya's loyalty to the throne is well-known.
(c) Goya has powerful friends.
(d) Goya's a renowed artist uninvolved in politics.
12. Why does Goya tell Father Duaso he will not ask King Ferdinand's pardon?
(a) Goya does not believe he has done anything wrong.
(b) Goya believes King Ferdinand should ask pardon first.
(c) Goya does not recognize the regency of King Ferdinand.
(d) Goya has already asked pardon.
13. What is Father Duaso's first excuse for Goya's refusal to come to the palace?
(a) Goya is losing his sight.
(b) Goya believes himself to be in decline.
(c) Goya is afraid he can't paint to King Ferdinand's taste.
(d) Goya believes Vicente Lopez is a better painter.
14. How does Father Duaso report to King Ferdinand that Goya actually feels?
15. How does King Ferdinand infer that Father Duaso is Goya's friend?
(a) Father Duaso visits Goya.
(b) Father Duaso is from Aragon.
(c) Father Duaso speaks of his admiration for Goya.
(d) Father Duaso makes excuses for Goya's behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Arrieta think King Ferdinand will not execute Goya?
2. What does King Ferdinand tell Father Duaso to do to convince Goya to ask the king's pardon?
3. When did King Ferdinand issue the order to Goya regarding his court appearances?
4. What rumor is circulating about Father Duaso?
5. Why does Goya think Leocadia is no longer afraid?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)