|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Arrieta worry about intervening in Goya's life?
(a) What if saving him will make Goya stop painting?
(b) What if his smudges are actually great works?
(c) What if Goya is unable to paint if he is well?
(d) What if the present turmoil is the source of Goya's inspiration?
2. Why does Dr. Arrieta suspect Father Duaso is operating on King Ferdinand's orders?
(a) Father Duaso is an honest man.
(b) Father Duaso trusts King Ferdinand.
(c) Father Duaso is a priest loyal to the throne.
(d) Father Duaso is duplicitous.
3. What does Goya learn from Leocadia about the postman?
(a) He has come twice with urgent messages.
(b) He hasn't been there yet today.
(c) He is on strike.
(d) He hasn't come for two days.
4. Why does Dr. Arrieta reject Father Duaso's solution?
(a) King Ferdinand does not trust Father Duaso.
(b) King Ferdinand has already forgiven Goya.
(c) King Ferdinand will not believe Goya's apology.
(d) King Ferdinand has never been know to forgive an offense.
5. What does King Ferdinand tell Father Duaso to do to convince Goya to ask the king's pardon?
(a) Stress the safety Goya will find in compliance.
(b) Stress the risk Goya is running.
(c) Stress the joy of King Ferdinand's favor.
(d) Stress King Ferdinand's real affection for Goya.
6. What does the voice of Mariquita first tell Goya has happened?
(a) The servants have left the house.
(b) Mariquita has left the house.
(c) Leocadia has left the house.
(d) Gumersinda has left the house.
7. When did King Ferdinand issue the order to Goya regarding his court appearances?
8. What does King Ferdinand suspect Dr. Arrieta of being?
(a) A liberal.
(b) A comunero.
(c) A Jew.
(d) A Mason.
9. Why does Dr. Arrieta say that saving Goya might destroy him?
(a) Goya is on the line between terror and insanity.
(b) Goya is on the line between France and Spain.
(c) Goya is on the line between truth and falsehood.
(d) Goya is on the line between loyalty and anarchy.
10. When does King Ferdinand instruct Father Duaso to make his visit to Goya?
(a) Before 8:00 a.m.
(b) After 8:00 a.m.
(c) After 8:00 p.m.
(d) Before 8:00 p.m.
11. Why would executing Goya cause a scandal?
(a) Goya's loyalty to the throne is well-known.
(b) Goya's new paintings are popular.
(c) Goya has powerful friends.
(d) Goya's a renowed artist uninvolved in politics.
12. What else does Goya accuse Leocadia of doing?
(a) Hiding their children.
(b) Selling her body to keep their house safe.
(c) Delivering messages from King Ferdinand.
(d) Conspiring with the liberals.
13. How does Leocadia respond to Goya's accusations?
(a) Leocadia admits that he is right.
(b) Leocadia tries to make love to Goya.
(c) Leocadia becomes angry and hits him.
(d) Leocadia becomes angry and storms out.
14. Why does the voice of Mariquita suggest that Leocadia has the button of an army officer?
(a) The button is a talisman to keep the house safe.
(b) The button came off, and Leocadia offered to sew it back.
(c) The officer gave Leocadia the button for a present.
(d) The button is a secret signal between the officer and Leocadia.
15. What news does Dr. Arrieta give Father Duaso in Part 2, Scene 3?
(a) Goya has refused to apologize to King Ferdinand.
(b) Goya's letter to Martin Zapater was intercepted.
(c) Leocadia is very ill.
(d) Goya is very ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Father Duaso describe Goya's paintings on the walls of his house?
2. How does Father Duaso report to King Ferdinand that Goya actually feels?
3. What is Dr. Arrieta's opinion of Goya's current state in Part 2, Scene 3?
4. What does Dr. Arrieta call Father Duaso in Part 2, Scene 3?
5. What former order does Goya claim to obey?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)