|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What imaginary creatures does Goya paint and believe to be real?
2. How does Leocadia believe Goya's family feels about him?
(a) They are heartbroken at his increasing weakness.
(b) They are trying to cheat him out of his estate.
(c) They are worried that he is in danger.
(d) They are like vultures waiting for him to die.
3. What was the effect of the Constitution of 1812?
(a) Expanding the King's power.
(b) Exiling the dissenters.
(c) Creating a parliament.
(d) Curtailing the King's power.
4. Why does King Ferdinand dislike Masons?
(a) They are anarchists.
(b) They have liberal aims.
(c) They are republicans.
(d) They have secrets.
5. What is Leocadia's first lie to Goya?
(a) Mariquita is in the other room.
(b) Mariquita is asleep.
(c) Mariquita has gone for a walk.
(d) Mariquita is visiting relatives.
6. What sound does it seem to Goya that Gumersinda makes when she talks?
(a) A donkey's bray.
(b) A bat's screech.
(c) A hen's cackling.
(d) A cat's meow.
7. Why does Leocadia let Goya go out by himself?
(a) So she can speak to Dr. Arrieta alone.
(b) So she can clean the room.
(c) So she can have some peace and quiet.
(d) So she can examine his new painting.
8. What is the last sound we hear in Part 1, Scene 2?
(a) The cry of the owls.
(b) The heartbeat.
(c) Cats meowing.
(d) The bell ringing, unanswered.
9. How does Gumersinda insult Leocadia?
(a) By mentioning her unkempt appearance.
(b) By refusing to invite her home.
(c) By referring to Goya as "your master."
(d) By refusing to take the tea she offers.
10. How old is Leocadia's son Guillermo?
11. How long has Leocadia been with Goya?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five years.
(d) One year.
12. What advancement has Father Duaso recently received?
(a) He's been made a cardinal.
(b) He's been made chaplain to King Ferdinand.
(c) He's been made abbott.
(d) He's been made archbishop.
13. What royal decree frightens Leocadia?
(a) King Ferdinand has banished all liberals.
(b) King Ferdinand has sent the guard to seek liberals.
(c) King Ferdinand will pardon anyone harming liberals.
(d) King Ferdinand has put out a reward for harming liberals.
14. How does Goya resolve the controversy between Gumersinda and Leocadia about where to celebrate Christmas?
(a) Goya says he will not celebrate Christmas this year.
(b) Goya says he will not celebrate away from his own home.
(c) Goya says he will celebrate Christmas in France.
(d) Goya says he will celebrate at Gumersinda's home.
15. What did Goya think the flying men were when he first saw them?
(a) His imagination.
(d) Frenchmen in new machines.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom has King Ferdinand declared the death penalty?
2. What is Father Duaso in charge of?
3. Why does Dr. Arrieta want to protect Goya from information about King Ferdinand's decrees?
4. What sound does it seem to Goya that Leocadia makes when she talks?
5. What does Leocadia tell Father Duaso her husband has done?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)