|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does King Ferdinand refuse to start another Inquisition?
(a) He regrets the harm that was done.
(b) He wants to preserve the church's reputation.
(c) He wants absolute power.
(d) He believes injustices were commited.
2. What is a Comunero?
(a) A Communist.
(b) A member of a liberal secret society.
(c) A courtier.
(d) A farmer.
3. What is Leocadia's first lie to Goya?
(a) Mariquita is in the other room.
(b) Mariquita is visiting relatives.
(c) Mariquita has gone for a walk.
(d) Mariquita is asleep.
4. How old is Leocadia's son Guillermo?
5. What confidential order does King Ferdinand give Calomarde?
(a) Calomarde is to return to him tomorrow.
(b) The Royal Volunteers are to come to him tomorrow.
(c) Martin Zapater is to come to him tomorrow.
(d) Goya is to come to him tomorrow.
6. What does Goya say Leocadia is?
(a) A witch who is drying up his blood.
(b) His true friend and support.
(c) The only comfort of his old age.
(d) The great love of his life.
7. What does Leocadia suggest that horrifies Gumersinda?
(a) Goya might consider marriage.
(b) Goya might move to France.
(c) Goya might apologize to the king.
(d) Goya might withdraw her inheritance.
8. Where are Goya's children?
(a) At the home of Dr. Arrieta.
(b) At the home of Martin Zapater.
(c) In the woods.
(d) At the home of an architect named Perez.
9. Why does Goya say those who painted the cross on his door must be theologians?
(a) They were sent by the Inquisition.
(b) They came on behalf of the church.
(c) They wrote the word "heretic."
(d) They used the symbol of the cross.
10. Who is Juan Pablo Bonet?
(a) A neighbor of Goya's.
(b) A Spanish painter.
(c) A magistrate.
(d) The inventor of a sign language.
11. Why does Leocadia think Goya is demented?
(a) He won't ask King Ferdinand's pardon.
(b) He hears things and talks to invisible beings.
(c) He misjudges her.
(d) He is always sad.
12. What does Leocadia tell Father Duaso her husband has done?
(a) Beaten her.
(b) Disowned her.
(c) Abandoned her.
(d) Betrayed her.
13. What is the picture on the wall during most of Part 1, Scene 2?
(c) Witches' Sabbath.
(d) Saturn eating his child.
14. Where does Leocadia want to celebrate Christmas?
(a) At Gumersinda's house.
(b) At the Costa del Sol.
(c) In France.
(d) At Goya's house.
15. What is unusual about the dialogue in quotation marks?
(a) It is shouted.
(b) It is part of a soliloquy.
(c) It is actual Goya text.
(d) It is part of a monologue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What imaginary creatures does Goya paint and believe to be real?
2. What special effort has Dr. Arrieta made for Goya?
3. How old is Leocadia's daughter Mariquita?
4. What does Gumersinda say a wife would do for Goya?
5. How long has Leocadia been with Goya?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)