|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Juan Pablo Bonet?
(a) A neighbor of Goya's.
(b) A Spanish painter.
(c) A magistrate.
(d) The inventor of a sign language.
2. What artifact does Goya keep that is the same as King Ferdinand's?
(a) A sewing basket.
(b) An apple.
(c) A spyglass.
(d) A pistol.
3. What special effort has Dr. Arrieta made for Goya?
(a) He studied art.
(b) He studied psychology.
(c) He studied phrenology.
(d) He learned sign language.
4. Why does Gumersinda admonish Leocadia to show no fear to Goya?
(a) To keep him from fleeing the country.
(b) To avoid upsetting him.
(c) To keep him from inciting a rebellion.
(d) To keep from making him angry.
5. How many of Goya's "black paintings" are seen during this play?
6. How old is Leocadia's daughter Mariquita?
7. How does Leocadia believe Goya's family feels about him?
(a) They are heartbroken at his increasing weakness.
(b) They are worried that he is in danger.
(c) They are trying to cheat him out of his estate.
(d) They are like vultures waiting for him to die.
8. Who is Vicente Lopez?
(a) Goya's neighbor.
(b) King Ferdinand's portraitist.
(c) A courtier.
(d) A Royal Volunteer.
9. Why was Goya denounced to the Holy Inquisition?
(a) For having children out of wedlock.
(b) For painting a nude woman.
(c) For insulting King Ferdinand.
(d) For living with another man's wife.
10. Where is Leocadia in Goya's painting?
(a) In a church.
(b) In a bedroom.
(c) In a cemetery.
(d) In a kitchen.
11. How does Goya react to the sounds he imagines Gumersinda and Leocadia making when they speak?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He is frightened.
(c) He believes his hearing is restored.
(d) He is moved to tears.
12. Why did King Ferdinand learn needlework?
(a) To calm his nerves.
(b) To impress his subjects.
(c) To sharpen his senses.
(d) To express his creativity.
13. How long has Goya been deaf?
(a) Thirty days.
(b) Since he was thirty-one.
(c) Thirty-one years.
(d) All his life.
14. What does Dr. Arrieta suggest to help Leocadia?
(a) A tonic.
(b) A change of scenery.
(c) A long rest.
(d) A daily nap.
15. Why does Goya say those who painted the cross on his door must be theologians?
(a) They wrote the word "heretic."
(b) They used the symbol of the cross.
(c) They were sent by the Inquisition.
(d) They came on behalf of the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of subjects does King Ferdinand hope for?
2. For what was Riego executed?
3. What imaginary creatures does Goya paint and believe to be real?
4. What is the only subject Dr. Arrieta is willing to discuss with Father Duaso?
5. Why does Dr. Arrieta determine that Leocadia is nervous and distraught?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)