|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of Goya's "black paintings" are seen during this play?
2. Who else heard the noise that frightens King Ferdinand?
(a) The guards stationed at the door.
(d) The guards in the courtyard.
3. How long has Leocadia been with Goya?
(a) Five years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Ten years.
(d) One year.
4. Why was Goya denounced to the Holy Inquisition?
(a) For living with another man's wife.
(b) For insulting King Ferdinand.
(c) For having children out of wedlock.
(d) For painting a nude woman.
5. How long has Goya been deaf?
(a) Since he was thirty-one.
(b) Thirty-one years.
(c) All his life.
(d) Thirty days.
6. What is a Comunero?
(a) A member of a liberal secret society.
(b) A Communist.
(c) A courtier.
(d) A farmer.
7. What is Father Duaso in charge of?
(b) The Inquisition.
(d) Censorship of publications.
8. In Part 1, Scene 1, why are King Ferdinand's appointments for tomorrow far apart?
(a) King Ferdinand needs to nap between meetings.
(b) There is a lot to do between meetings.
(c) Some participants must attend both meetings.
(d) They must not see each other.
9. Where did King Ferdinand learn needlework?
(a) In the winter castle.
(b) At his aunt's country estate.
(c) At his mother's knee.
(d) In exile.
10. What does Leocadia want Dr. Arrieta to do?
(a) Persuade Goya to apologize to the king.
(b) Persuade Goya to admit wrongdoing.
(c) Persuade Goya to rest more.
(d) Persuade Goya to go to France.
11. How does Leocadia evaluate Goya's recent paintings?
(a) They're valuable.
(b) They're appalling.
(c) They're magnificent.
(d) They're appealing.
12. How does King Ferdinand respond to the frightening sound?
(a) He draws his sword.
(b) He calls for the guards.
(c) He picks up his pistol.
(d) He hides behind the curtain.
13. Why does Dr. Arrieta want to protect Goya from information about King Ferdinand's decrees?
(a) He is afraid that Goya won't believe him.
(b) He is worried that Goya will do something violent.
(c) He is afraid that Goya will attack the king.
(d) He is worried that fear may jeopardize his health.
14. Why is Goya depressed by Gumersinda's visit?
(a) She can't stay long.
(b) She didn't bring his grandchildren.
(c) She didn't bring a gift.
(d) She didn't bring her husband.
15. What is the picture on the wall during most of Part 1, Scene 2?
(a) Saturn eating his child.
(c) Witches' Sabbath.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leocadia want to celebrate Christmas?
2. What does the audience learn about Leocadia's husband from Gumersinda's remarks?
3. What activity occupies King Ferdinand?
4. What special effort has Dr. Arrieta made for Goya?
5. What artifact does Goya keep that is the same as King Ferdinand's?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)