|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gumersinda want to celebrate Christmas?
(a) At the Costa del Sol.
(b) At Gumersinda's house.
(c) At Goya's house.
(d) In France.
2. In what city does Goya live?
3. What advancement has Father Duaso recently received?
(a) He's been made chaplain to King Ferdinand.
(b) He's been made a cardinal.
(c) He's been made archbishop.
(d) He's been made abbott.
4. What does Goya accuse Leocadia of doing at the bridge?
(b) Flirting with a soldier.
(c) Conspiring with the King's volunteers.
(d) Fighting with Gumersinda.
5. Why does Leocadia call Goya insane?
(a) Because he is terrified.
(b) Because he is too stubborn to ask King Ferdinand's pardon.
(c) Because he is in great danger, but unafraid.
(d) Because he is unaware of the danger.
6. What does King Ferdinand order Calomarde to do?
(a) Search the courtyard.
(b) Search the palace.
(c) Double the guard.
(d) Draw his sword.
7. Who is Juan Pablo Bonet?
(a) The inventor of a sign language.
(b) A Spanish painter.
(c) A magistrate.
(d) A neighbor of Goya's.
8. What weapon does Goya keep near him?
(a) A mallet.
(b) A shotgun.
(c) A knife.
(d) A sword.
9. What does Leocadia suggest that horrifies Gumersinda?
(a) Goya might withdraw her inheritance.
(b) Goya might consider marriage.
(c) Goya might apologize to the king.
(d) Goya might move to France.
10. What does the audience learn about Leocadia's husband from Gumersinda's remarks?
(a) He is patient and hopeful.
(b) He is younger than Goya.
(c) He is cruel and violent.
(d) He is infirm.
11. How does Leocadia evaluate Goya's recent paintings?
(a) They're appealing.
(b) They're appalling.
(c) They're valuable.
(d) They're magnificent.
12. Why does Goya say those who painted the cross on his door must be theologians?
(a) They wrote the word "heretic."
(b) They used the symbol of the cross.
(c) They came on behalf of the church.
(d) They were sent by the Inquisition.
13. How does Goya resolve the controversy between Gumersinda and Leocadia about where to celebrate Christmas?
(a) Goya says he will celebrate Christmas in France.
(b) Goya says he will celebrate at Gumersinda's home.
(c) Goya says he will not celebrate away from his own home.
(d) Goya says he will not celebrate Christmas this year.
14. What is Leocadia's second lie to Goya?
(a) Mariquita is visiting relatives.
(b) Mariquita is asleep.
(c) Mariquita has gone for a walk.
(d) Mariquita is in the other room.
15. Why does King Ferdinand refuse to start another Inquisition?
(a) He wants absolute power.
(b) He believes injustices were commited.
(c) He regrets the harm that was done.
(d) He wants to preserve the church's reputation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Goya think the flying men were when he first saw them?
2. What happens to the dialogue enclosed between these << >> symbols?
3. How has Goya offended Calomarde?
4. What imaginary creatures does Goya paint and believe to be real?
5. Why was Goya denounced to the Holy Inquisition?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)