|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of subjects does King Ferdinand hope for?
(a) Fighting cocks.
(b) Obedient and frightened.
(c) Courageous and intelligent.
(d) Loyal and fearless.
2. What artifact does Goya keep that is the same as King Ferdinand's?
(a) A spyglass.
(b) A sewing basket.
(c) A pistol.
(d) An apple.
3. What happens to the dialogue enclosed between these << >> symbols?
(a) It is spoken but unheard.
(b) It is not spoken.
(c) It is directed at the audience.
(d) It is shouted.
4. What is Leocadia's first lie to Goya?
(a) Mariquita is in the other room.
(b) Mariquita is asleep.
(c) Mariquita is visiting relatives.
(d) Mariquita has gone for a walk.
5. Where does Leocadia want to celebrate Christmas?
(a) In France.
(b) At Gumersinda's house.
(c) At Goya's house.
(d) At the Costa del Sol.
6. Why does King Ferdinand dislike Masons?
(a) They have liberal aims.
(b) They are republicans.
(c) They are anarchists.
(d) They have secrets.
7. How old is Leocadia's son Guillermo?
8. What does King Ferdinand order Calomarde to do?
(a) Double the guard.
(b) Draw his sword.
(c) Search the palace.
(d) Search the courtyard.
9. What does Leocadia suggest that horrifies Gumersinda?
(a) Goya might apologize to the king.
(b) Goya might withdraw her inheritance.
(c) Goya might consider marriage.
(d) Goya might move to France.
10. What artifacts does King Ferdinand keep beside him?
(a) A pistol, a sewing basket, and an apple.
(b) A sewing basket, a rod, and an apple.
(c) A sewing basket, a spyglass, and a pistol.
(d) A sceptre, a rod, and a sewing basket.
11. What sound does it seem to Goya that Gumersinda makes when she talks?
(a) A donkey's bray.
(b) A hen's cackling.
(c) A bat's screech.
(d) A cat's meow.
12. How has King Ferdinand dealt with liberal dissenters?
(a) Interminable court cases.
(b) Reorientation therapies.
(c) Summary executions and banishments.
(d) Prolonged imprisonment.
13. Who else heard the noise that frightens King Ferdinand?
(b) The guards stationed at the door.
(c) The guards in the courtyard.
14. What sound frightens King Ferdinand?
(a) A beating heart.
(b) A knock at the door.
(c) A scream.
(d) The wind.
15. What confidential order does King Ferdinand give Calomarde?
(a) Martin Zapater is to come to him tomorrow.
(b) The Royal Volunteers are to come to him tomorrow.
(c) Goya is to come to him tomorrow.
(d) Calomarde is to return to him tomorrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gumersinda want to celebrate Christmas?
2. What weapon does Goya keep near him?
3. How does Goya react to the sounds he imagines Gumersinda and Leocadia making when they speak?
4. What time is Father Duaso to attend King Ferdinand?
5. Who is Martin Zapater?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)