|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Goya been deaf?
(a) Since he was thirty-one.
(b) Thirty days.
(c) Thirty-one years.
(d) All his life.
2. Why does Dr. Arrieta want to protect Goya from information about King Ferdinand's decrees?
(a) He is worried that fear may jeopardize his health.
(b) He is afraid that Goya will attack the king.
(c) He is afraid that Goya won't believe him.
(d) He is worried that Goya will do something violent.
3. What sound does it seem to Goya that Gumersinda makes when she talks?
(a) A bat's screech.
(b) A donkey's bray.
(c) A hen's cackling.
(d) A cat's meow.
4. What weapon does Goya keep near him?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A sword.
(c) A mallet.
(d) A knife.
5. What does King Ferdinand think needlework would do for his subjects?
(a) Make them more disciplined.
(b) Make them more docile.
(c) Make them more interesting.
(d) Make them more creative.
6. What does Gumersinda say a wife would do for Goya?
(a) Make him a cuckold.
(b) Invigorate him.
(c) Provide him with children.
(d) Cheer him up.
7. Why does Leocadia think Goya is demented?
(a) He is always sad.
(b) He hears things and talks to invisible beings.
(c) He won't ask King Ferdinand's pardon.
(d) He misjudges her.
8. Who is Vicente Lopez?
(a) A courtier.
(b) A Royal Volunteer.
(c) Goya's neighbor.
(d) King Ferdinand's portraitist.
9. How does Leocadia evaluate Goya's recent paintings?
(a) They're appealing.
(b) They're valuable.
(c) They're magnificent.
(d) They're appalling.
10. Who is Juan Pablo Bonet?
(a) A neighbor of Goya's.
(b) A magistrate.
(c) The inventor of a sign language.
(d) A Spanish painter.
11. How many of Goya's "black paintings" are seen during this play?
12. What is King Ferdinand's opinion of Goya after reading the letter?
(a) He is an enemy to be reckoned with.
(b) He is a genius or an idiot.
(c) He is a disgrace to Spain.
(d) He is a fool or a brave man.
13. What kind of subjects does King Ferdinand hope for?
(a) Courageous and intelligent.
(b) Loyal and fearless.
(c) Obedient and frightened.
(d) Fighting cocks.
14. What does Leocadia call Goya?
15. What has Goya done with his estate?
(a) Willed it to his daughter, Mariquita.
(b) Willed it to his grandson, Marianito.
(c) Willed it to Leocadia.
(d) Willed it to his family in equal shares.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the dialogue in quotation marks?
2. What does King Ferdinand order Calomarde to do?
3. Why does Leocadia let Goya go out by himself?
4. Why did King Ferdinand learn needlework?
5. Why does Goya think Leocadia wants to go to France?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)