|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the audience learn about Leocadia's husband from Gumersinda's remarks?
(a) He is patient and hopeful.
(b) He is younger than Goya.
(c) He is infirm.
(d) He is cruel and violent.
2. What sound does it seem to Goya that Gumersinda makes when she talks?
(a) A hen's cackling.
(b) A donkey's bray.
(c) A cat's meow.
(d) A bat's screech.
3. How long has Goya been deaf?
(a) All his life.
(b) Thirty days.
(c) Thirty-one years.
(d) Since he was thirty-one.
4. What does Leocadia want Dr. Arrieta to do?
(a) Persuade Goya to rest more.
(b) Persuade Goya to apologize to the king.
(c) Persuade Goya to admit wrongdoing.
(d) Persuade Goya to go to France.
5. What is King Ferdinand's opinion of Goya after reading the letter?
(a) He is an enemy to be reckoned with.
(b) He is a fool or a brave man.
(c) He is a disgrace to Spain.
(d) He is a genius or an idiot.
6. What special effort has Dr. Arrieta made for Goya?
(a) He studied phrenology.
(b) He studied art.
(c) He studied psychology.
(d) He learned sign language.
7. Why does Dr. Arrieta determine that Leocadia is nervous and distraught?
(a) She tells him she is nervous and distraught.
(b) She keeps crying.
(c) She can't speak.
(d) She keeps hearing unexplained sounds.
8. How old is Leocadia's daughter Mariquita?
9. How has Goya offended Calomarde?
(a) He refused to paint his portrait.
(b) He painted Calomarde's wives.
(c) He disclosed Calomarde's secrets.
(d) He portrayed Calomarde as ugly and vicious.
10. What activity occupies King Ferdinand?
11. How does Goya react to the sounds he imagines Gumersinda and Leocadia making when they speak?
(a) He is moved to tears.
(b) He believes his hearing is restored.
(c) He is frightened.
(d) He laughs.
12. How long has Leocadia been with Goya?
(a) One year.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Six months.
13. What is Leocadia's second lie to Goya?
(a) Mariquita is in the other room.
(b) Mariquita has gone for a walk.
(c) Mariquita is visiting relatives.
(d) Mariquita is asleep.
14. Hearing his shouts, what does Leocadia suggest must have happened to Goya?
(a) A scorpion must have bitten him.
(b) A dog must have bitten him.
(c) A bat must have frightened him.
(d) A cat must have scratched him.
15. How many of Goya's "black paintings" are seen during this play?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else heard the noise that frightens King Ferdinand?
2. How does King Ferdinand characterize Goya to Calomarde?
3. What does Leocadia suggest that horrifies Gumersinda?
4. What does Gumersinda say a wife would do for Goya?
5. How old is Leocadia's son Guillermo?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)