|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Martin Zapater?
(a) Goya's childhood friend.
(b) Goya's critic.
(c) Goya's neighbor.
(d) Goya's brother-in-law.
2. What does Leocadia want Dr. Arrieta to do?
(a) Persuade Goya to apologize to the king.
(b) Persuade Goya to rest more.
(c) Persuade Goya to go to France.
(d) Persuade Goya to admit wrongdoing.
3. What is King Ferdinand's opinion of Goya after reading the letter?
(a) He is a disgrace to Spain.
(b) He is a genius or an idiot.
(c) He is a fool or a brave man.
(d) He is an enemy to be reckoned with.
4. Why does Leocadia think Goya is demented?
(a) He hears things and talks to invisible beings.
(b) He misjudges her.
(c) He won't ask King Ferdinand's pardon.
(d) He is always sad.
5. Who else heard the noise that frightens King Ferdinand?
(a) The guards stationed at the door.
(c) The guards in the courtyard.
6. For what was Riego executed?
(a) Inciting to riot.
(b) Conspiring with France.
(d) Disorderly conduct.
7. What artifacts does King Ferdinand keep beside him?
(a) A pistol, a sewing basket, and an apple.
(b) A sceptre, a rod, and a sewing basket.
(c) A sewing basket, a spyglass, and a pistol.
(d) A sewing basket, a rod, and an apple.
8. What sound annoys Goya as he tries to paint?
(a) Dogs barking.
(b) Bats shrieking.
(c) People screaming.
(d) Cats meowing.
9. Where is Leocadia in Goya's painting?
(a) In a church.
(b) In a kitchen.
(c) In a bedroom.
(d) In a cemetery.
10. In what year does the action of this play take place?
11. What is the picture on the wall during most of Part 1, Scene 2?
(c) Saturn eating his child.
(d) Witches' Sabbath.
12. How many of Goya's "black paintings" are seen during this play?
13. What does Gumersinda say a wife would do for Goya?
(a) Invigorate him.
(b) Make him a cuckold.
(c) Provide him with children.
(d) Cheer him up.
14. What is the last sound we hear in Part 1, Scene 2?
(a) Cats meowing.
(b) The bell ringing, unanswered.
(c) The cry of the owls.
(d) The heartbeat.
15. Why does King Ferdinand dislike Masons?
(a) They have secrets.
(b) They are anarchists.
(c) They are republicans.
(d) They have liberal aims.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the dialogue in quotation marks?
2. How has King Ferdinand dealt with liberal dissenters?
3. How does King Ferdinand respond to the frightening sound?
4. What special effort has Dr. Arrieta made for Goya?
5. What sound frightens King Ferdinand?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)