|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Leocadia call Goya insane?
(a) Because he is in great danger, but unafraid.
(b) Because he is too stubborn to ask King Ferdinand's pardon.
(c) Because he is terrified.
(d) Because he is unaware of the danger.
2. What does King Ferdinand order Calomarde to do?
(a) Double the guard.
(b) Draw his sword.
(c) Search the courtyard.
(d) Search the palace.
3. Where is Leocadia in Goya's painting?
(a) In a cemetery.
(b) In a bedroom.
(c) In a church.
(d) In a kitchen.
4. For what was Riego executed?
(a) Inciting to riot.
(b) Disorderly conduct.
(d) Conspiring with France.
5. What sound does it seem to Goya that Leocadia makes when she talks?
(a) A bat's screech.
(b) A cat's meow.
(c) A donkey's bray.
(d) A hen's cackling.
6. What does Leocadia want Dr. Arrieta to do?
(a) Persuade Goya to apologize to the king.
(b) Persuade Goya to go to France.
(c) Persuade Goya to rest more.
(d) Persuade Goya to admit wrongdoing.
7. What is a Comunero?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A Communist.
(c) A courtier.
(d) A member of a liberal secret society.
8. What activity occupies King Ferdinand?
9. Why does Goya become angry with Leocadia?
(a) For making fun of him behind his back.
(b) For not helping him with his work.
(c) For not watching the children.
(d) For lying to him.
10. What was the effect of the Constitution of 1812?
(a) Expanding the King's power.
(b) Curtailing the King's power.
(c) Creating a parliament.
(d) Exiling the dissenters.
11. What does Leocadia tell Father Duaso her husband has done?
(a) Beaten her.
(b) Abandoned her.
(c) Disowned her.
(d) Betrayed her.
12. How does Leocadia evaluate Goya's recent paintings?
(a) They're appalling.
(b) They're valuable.
(c) They're magnificent.
(d) They're appealing.
13. What is Father Duaso in charge of?
(a) Censorship of publications.
(d) The Inquisition.
14. What is Leocadia's second lie to Goya?
(a) Mariquita is in the other room.
(b) Mariquita is asleep.
(c) Mariquita has gone for a walk.
(d) Mariquita is visiting relatives.
15. Why does Leocadia think Goya is demented?
(a) He is always sad.
(b) He hears things and talks to invisible beings.
(c) He misjudges her.
(d) He won't ask King Ferdinand's pardon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the action of this play take place?
2. How long has Leocadia been with Goya?
3. What does King Ferdinand think needlework would do for his subjects?
4. How does Goya react to the sounds he imagines Gumersinda and Leocadia making when they speak?
5. Why does Leocadia let Goya go out by himself?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)