|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the dialogue enclosed between these << >> symbols?
(a) It is not spoken.
(b) It is shouted.
(c) It is spoken but unheard.
(d) It is directed at the audience.
2. What activity occupies King Ferdinand?
3. Where did King Ferdinand learn needlework?
(a) In the winter castle.
(b) In exile.
(c) At his aunt's country estate.
(d) At his mother's knee.
4. What is Leocadia's first lie to Goya?
(a) Mariquita is in the other room.
(b) Mariquita is visiting relatives.
(c) Mariquita has gone for a walk.
(d) Mariquita is asleep.
5. Who else heard the noise that frightens King Ferdinand?
(b) The guards in the courtyard.
(d) The guards stationed at the door.
6. How does Leocadia evaluate Goya's recent paintings?
(a) They're magnificent.
(b) They're valuable.
(c) They're appalling.
(d) They're appealing.
7. What sound does it seem to Goya that Gumersinda makes when she talks?
(a) A hen's cackling.
(b) A donkey's bray.
(c) A bat's screech.
(d) A cat's meow.
8. What artifacts does King Ferdinand keep beside him?
(a) A sewing basket, a rod, and an apple.
(b) A sewing basket, a spyglass, and a pistol.
(c) A pistol, a sewing basket, and an apple.
(d) A sceptre, a rod, and a sewing basket.
9. What does Leocadia suggest that horrifies Gumersinda?
(a) Goya might consider marriage.
(b) Goya might move to France.
(c) Goya might withdraw her inheritance.
(d) Goya might apologize to the king.
10. Why does Leocadia let Goya go out by himself?
(a) So she can clean the room.
(b) So she can examine his new painting.
(c) So she can speak to Dr. Arrieta alone.
(d) So she can have some peace and quiet.
11. For what was Riego executed?
(a) Conspiring with France.
(c) Inciting to riot.
(d) Disorderly conduct.
12. How does Goya react to the sounds he imagines Gumersinda and Leocadia making when they speak?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He is moved to tears.
(c) He believes his hearing is restored.
(d) He is frightened.
13. What is unusual about the dialogue in quotation marks?
(a) It is part of a monologue.
(b) It is actual Goya text.
(c) It is shouted.
(d) It is part of a soliloquy.
14. Why was Goya denounced to the Holy Inquisition?
(a) For insulting King Ferdinand.
(b) For having children out of wedlock.
(c) For living with another man's wife.
(d) For painting a nude woman.
15. What kind of subjects does King Ferdinand hope for?
(a) Obedient and frightened.
(b) Fighting cocks.
(c) Courageous and intelligent.
(d) Loyal and fearless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special effort has Dr. Arrieta made for Goya?
2. Why does Gumersinda admonish Leocadia to show no fear to Goya?
3. Hearing his shouts, what does Leocadia suggest must have happened to Goya?
4. What weapon does Goya keep near him?
5. What sound does it seem to Goya that Leocadia makes when she talks?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)