|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Martin Zapater?
(a) Goya's childhood friend.
(b) Goya's neighbor.
(c) Goya's brother-in-law.
(d) Goya's critic.
2. Why is Goya depressed by Gumersinda's visit?
(a) She can't stay long.
(b) She didn't bring his grandchildren.
(c) She didn't bring a gift.
(d) She didn't bring her husband.
3. How does Goya resolve the controversy between Gumersinda and Leocadia about where to celebrate Christmas?
(a) Goya says he will celebrate Christmas in France.
(b) Goya says he will celebrate at Gumersinda's home.
(c) Goya says he will not celebrate away from his own home.
(d) Goya says he will not celebrate Christmas this year.
4. Why did King Ferdinand learn needlework?
(a) To impress his subjects.
(b) To sharpen his senses.
(c) To calm his nerves.
(d) To express his creativity.
5. What does King Ferdinand think needlework would do for his subjects?
(a) Make them more creative.
(b) Make them more docile.
(c) Make them more disciplined.
(d) Make them more interesting.
6. What has Goya done with his estate?
(a) Willed it to his family in equal shares.
(b) Willed it to his grandson, Marianito.
(c) Willed it to Leocadia.
(d) Willed it to his daughter, Mariquita.
7. Why does Leocadia call Goya insane?
(a) Because he is in great danger, but unafraid.
(b) Because he is too stubborn to ask King Ferdinand's pardon.
(c) Because he is terrified.
(d) Because he is unaware of the danger.
8. Who is Juan Pablo Bonet?
(a) A magistrate.
(b) A Spanish painter.
(c) A neighbor of Goya's.
(d) The inventor of a sign language.
9. What does Leocadia call Goya?
10. What activity occupies King Ferdinand?
11. Why does Dr. Arrieta want to protect Goya from information about King Ferdinand's decrees?
(a) He is afraid that Goya will attack the king.
(b) He is worried that fear may jeopardize his health.
(c) He is afraid that Goya won't believe him.
(d) He is worried that Goya will do something violent.
12. Why does Leocadia think Goya is demented?
(a) He misjudges her.
(b) He is always sad.
(c) He hears things and talks to invisible beings.
(d) He won't ask King Ferdinand's pardon.
13. How does Leocadia believe Goya's family feels about him?
(a) They are heartbroken at his increasing weakness.
(b) They are worried that he is in danger.
(c) They are trying to cheat him out of his estate.
(d) They are like vultures waiting for him to die.
14. What advancement has Father Duaso recently received?
(a) He's been made abbott.
(b) He's been made a cardinal.
(c) He's been made chaplain to King Ferdinand.
(d) He's been made archbishop.
15. Why does Goya say those who painted the cross on his door must be theologians?
(a) They wrote the word "heretic."
(b) They used the symbol of the cross.
(c) They were sent by the Inquisition.
(d) They came on behalf of the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What artifact does Goya keep that is the same as King Ferdinand's?
2. Why does Dr. Arrieta determine that Leocadia is nervous and distraught?
3. What does Gumersinda say a wife would do for Goya?
4. How does King Ferdinand characterize Goya to Calomarde?
5. Where does Leocadia want to celebrate Christmas?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)