|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weapon does Goya keep near him?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A knife.
(c) A sword.
(d) A mallet.
2. What is the picture on the wall during most of Part 1, Scene 2?
(b) Witches' Sabbath.
(d) Saturn eating his child.
3. Where does Leocadia want to celebrate Christmas?
(a) At Goya's house.
(b) In France.
(c) At the Costa del Sol.
(d) At Gumersinda's house.
4. What is the Green Book?
(a) King Ferdinand's list of dissenters.
(b) A list of Masons.
(c) A list of liberals.
(d) King Ferdinand's record of personal wrongs he suffered.
5. For whom has King Ferdinand declared the death penalty?
(a) Catholics and Masons.
(b) Jews and Catholics.
(c) Masons and comuneros.
(d) Masons and Jews.
6. For what was Riego executed?
(b) Disorderly conduct.
(c) Inciting to riot.
(d) Conspiring with France.
7. How long has Leocadia been with Goya?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
8. What is a Comunero?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A courtier.
(c) A member of a liberal secret society.
(d) A Communist.
9. What sound does it seem to Goya that Leocadia makes when she talks?
(a) A cat's meow.
(b) A donkey's bray.
(c) A hen's cackling.
(d) A bat's screech.
10. Who else heard the noise that frightens King Ferdinand?
(b) The guards in the courtyard.
(c) The guards stationed at the door.
11. What advancement has Father Duaso recently received?
(a) He's been made archbishop.
(b) He's been made chaplain to King Ferdinand.
(c) He's been made abbott.
(d) He's been made a cardinal.
12. What sound does it seem to Goya that Gumersinda makes when she talks?
(a) A donkey's bray.
(b) A bat's screech.
(c) A hen's cackling.
(d) A cat's meow.
13. Goya tells Dr. Arrieta that Leocadia wants to go to France for what reason?
(a) To protect the children.
(b) To find French men.
(c) To save Goya's life.
(d) To learn French cooking.
14. What happens to the dialogue enclosed between these << >> symbols?
(a) It is spoken but unheard.
(b) It is shouted.
(c) It is directed at the audience.
(d) It is not spoken.
15. How does Leocadia believe Goya's family feels about him?
(a) They are heartbroken at his increasing weakness.
(b) They are worried that he is in danger.
(c) They are trying to cheat him out of his estate.
(d) They are like vultures waiting for him to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the action of this play take place?
2. How does King Ferdinand characterize Goya to Calomarde?
3. What sound frightens King Ferdinand?
4. What special effort has Dr. Arrieta made for Goya?
5. Why does Dr. Arrieta want to protect Goya from information about King Ferdinand's decrees?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)