|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city does Goya live?
2. What does Dr. Arrieta suggest to help Leocadia?
(a) A daily nap.
(b) A change of scenery.
(c) A tonic.
(d) A long rest.
3. Why does Leocadia let Goya go out by himself?
(a) So she can clean the room.
(b) So she can speak to Dr. Arrieta alone.
(c) So she can examine his new painting.
(d) So she can have some peace and quiet.
4. How does Goya react to the sounds he imagines Gumersinda and Leocadia making when they speak?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He is frightened.
(c) He believes his hearing is restored.
(d) He is moved to tears.
5. What is Father Duaso in charge of?
(a) Censorship of publications.
(d) The Inquisition.
6. Why does Goya think Leocadia wants to go to France?
(a) She's anxious to get away from her husband.
(b) She's afraid of King Ferdinand's vengeance.
(c) She wants the children to have a better education.
(d) She's bored.
7. What does Leocadia want Dr. Arrieta to do?
(a) Persuade Goya to admit wrongdoing.
(b) Persuade Goya to apologize to the king.
(c) Persuade Goya to go to France.
(d) Persuade Goya to rest more.
8. What sound does it seem to Goya that Gumersinda makes when she talks?
(a) A cat's meow.
(b) A donkey's bray.
(c) A bat's screech.
(d) A hen's cackling.
9. What does Leocadia suggest that horrifies Gumersinda?
(a) Goya might consider marriage.
(b) Goya might apologize to the king.
(c) Goya might move to France.
(d) Goya might withdraw her inheritance.
10. What sound does it seem to Goya that Leocadia makes when she talks?
(a) A donkey's bray.
(b) A hen's cackling.
(c) A cat's meow.
(d) A bat's screech.
11. How does Goya resolve the controversy between Gumersinda and Leocadia about where to celebrate Christmas?
(a) Goya says he will celebrate at Gumersinda's home.
(b) Goya says he will not celebrate Christmas this year.
(c) Goya says he will celebrate Christmas in France.
(d) Goya says he will not celebrate away from his own home.
12. What does Gumersinda say a wife would do for Goya?
(a) Provide him with children.
(b) Invigorate him.
(c) Cheer him up.
(d) Make him a cuckold.
13. For what was Riego executed?
(b) Disorderly conduct.
(c) Conspiring with France.
(d) Inciting to riot.
14. What does King Ferdinand think needlework would do for his subjects?
(a) Make them more interesting.
(b) Make them more disciplined.
(c) Make them more docile.
(d) Make them more creative.
15. For whom has King Ferdinand declared the death penalty?
(a) Masons and Jews.
(b) Catholics and Masons.
(c) Masons and comuneros.
(d) Jews and Catholics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King Ferdinand order Calomarde to do?
2. Why is Goya depressed by Gumersinda's visit?
3. Where is Leocadia in Goya's painting?
4. How old is Leocadia's son Guillermo?
5. What does Leocadia tell Father Duaso her husband has done?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)