|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Goya resolve the controversy between Gumersinda and Leocadia about where to celebrate Christmas?
(a) Goya says he will not celebrate Christmas this year.
(b) Goya says he will celebrate at Gumersinda's home.
(c) Goya says he will celebrate Christmas in France.
(d) Goya says he will not celebrate away from his own home.
2. What does Goya say Leocadia is?
(a) The great love of his life.
(b) The only comfort of his old age.
(c) His true friend and support.
(d) A witch who is drying up his blood.
3. Why does Dr. Arrieta want to protect Goya from information about King Ferdinand's decrees?
(a) He is worried that Goya will do something violent.
(b) He is worried that fear may jeopardize his health.
(c) He is afraid that Goya won't believe him.
(d) He is afraid that Goya will attack the king.
4. Why is Goya depressed by Gumersinda's visit?
(a) She didn't bring his grandchildren.
(b) She didn't bring her husband.
(c) She didn't bring a gift.
(d) She can't stay long.
5. What imaginary creatures does Goya paint and believe to be real?
6. What does King Ferdinand think needlework would do for his subjects?
(a) Make them more interesting.
(b) Make them more docile.
(c) Make them more creative.
(d) Make them more disciplined.
7. How long has Leocadia been with Goya?
(a) Five years.
(b) Six months.
(c) One year.
(d) Ten years.
8. Who else heard the noise that frightens King Ferdinand?
(b) The guards in the courtyard.
(c) The guards stationed at the door.
9. What royal decree frightens Leocadia?
(a) King Ferdinand has sent the guard to seek liberals.
(b) King Ferdinand has banished all liberals.
(c) King Ferdinand has put out a reward for harming liberals.
(d) King Ferdinand will pardon anyone harming liberals.
10. What is Leocadia's first lie to Goya?
(a) Mariquita is visiting relatives.
(b) Mariquita is asleep.
(c) Mariquita is in the other room.
(d) Mariquita has gone for a walk.
11. Why does King Ferdinand refuse to start another Inquisition?
(a) He regrets the harm that was done.
(b) He wants absolute power.
(c) He wants to preserve the church's reputation.
(d) He believes injustices were commited.
12. Where does Leocadia want to celebrate Christmas?
(a) At Gumersinda's house.
(b) In France.
(c) At Goya's house.
(d) At the Costa del Sol.
13. What special effort has Dr. Arrieta made for Goya?
(a) He learned sign language.
(b) He studied psychology.
(c) He studied art.
(d) He studied phrenology.
14. Why does Gumersinda admonish Leocadia to show no fear to Goya?
(a) To keep him from inciting a rebellion.
(b) To avoid upsetting him.
(c) To keep him from fleeing the country.
(d) To keep from making him angry.
15. Where does Gumersinda want to celebrate Christmas?
(a) In France.
(b) At Goya's house.
(c) At the Costa del Sol.
(d) At Gumersinda's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leocadia tell Father Duaso her husband has done?
2. What is Father Duaso in charge of?
3. What artifact does Goya keep that is the same as King Ferdinand's?
4. Why does King Ferdinand dislike Masons?
5. What weapon does Goya keep near him?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)