|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Baer find when he was assigned to the CIA's Counter-Terrorism Center?
2. When was Khalid released from prison?
3. What does Baer say might have happened if the Muslim Brotherhood had been treated as an international organization?
4. What was the outcome when Abdallah suggested his play to Fahd?
5. How does Baer characterize America's relationship with Saudi Arabia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes did Crown Prince Abdallah try to make in Saudi culture?
2. What does Baer say is the effect of the Wahhabi government on Saudi culture?
3. What was the CIA's interest in the Muslim Brotherhood, according to Baer?
4. What problem was Saudi Arabia faced with when King Fahd suffered a stroke in 1995?
5. What does Baer say would have been different if the CIA had taken a different strategy on radical Islam?
6. Who is the Muslim Brotherhood, and what is their role in the Middle East?
7. What terrorist attack followed the Boeing deal between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia?
8. What does Baer say is the greatest force preserving the status quo in Saudi Arabia?
9. What is Baer's feeling about the CIA's interest in terrorism?
10. How does Baer say the United States influenced Saudi culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does terrorism rank among the threats to world security in Baer's view? What greater threats are there? What other threats are comparable to terrorism? How does Baer approach these other problems? Are his insights and observations equally useful in other areas beside terrorism?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch to passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)