|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baer say is United States policy?
2. What was the outcome when Abdallah suggested his play to Fahd?
3. What was Baer's position in Iraq?
4. What does Baer say the United States government convinced Saudi Arabia to do during the Gulf War?
5. Why does Baer say the United States supports the Saudi government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baer say is the flaw in the United States policy in Saudi Arabia?
2. What changes did Crown Prince Abdallah try to make in Saudi culture?
3. What does Baer say is the effect of the Wahhabi government on Saudi culture?
4. What is the role of it International Islamic Relief Organization in the Middle East?
5. What is Baer's feeling about the CIA's interest in terrorism?
6. How does Baer describe the importance of American arms in Saudi Arabia?
7. According to Baer, what is the United States policy in the Middle East?
8. How did the fall of the Soviet Union change the importance of the Middle East for America?
9. How does Baer characterize America's attitude to Saudi politics?
10. Who is Khalid, and what is his role in Baer's tale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
What is the biggest problem with 'Sleeping with the Devil'? Describe the different aspects of the book that could be described as flaws. Make an argument for one of them as the biggest problem.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch to passages in the book.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)