|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Abdallah make people nervous in Saudi Arabia?
2. How does Baer characterize the delivery of United States arms to Saudi Arabia?
3. When was Baer in Jordan?
4. What does Baer say was the commission rate for Boeing's sale of aircraft to Saudi Arabia?
5. What position did Khalid hold in Khartoum when Baer met him there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baer say was the difference between King Fahd and his son in terms of governing philosophy?
2. How does Baer say the United States influenced Saudi culture?
3. Who is Khalid, and what is his role in Baer's tale?
4. How does Baer describe the importance of American arms in Saudi Arabia?
5. What is Baer's feeling about the CIA's interest in terrorism?
6. What changes did Crown Prince Abdallah try to make in Saudi culture?
7. Who is the Muslim Brotherhood, and what is their role in the Middle East?
8. What is the role of it International Islamic Relief Organization in the Middle East?
9. What was the second event that convinced Baer that the CIA was out of touch with what was happening in the Middle East?
10. How does Baer characterize America's attitude to Saudi politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does terrorism rank among the threats to world security in Baer's view? What greater threats are there? What other threats are comparable to terrorism? How does Baer approach these other problems? Are his insights and observations equally useful in other areas beside terrorism?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the case for democracy in Saudi Arabia and the Middle East based on Baer's observations. What are the main challenges to democracy in the Middle East? What are the benefits it might offer? What problems might democracy solve?
Essay Topic 3
How has the situation in Saudi Arabia and the Middle East changed since Baer wrote 'Sleeping with the Devil'? What does the death of Osama bin Laden do to the tensions in the Middle East? What does the shift of the war from Iraq to Afghanistan do to his observations? What do the changes in the oil market--with oil reaching $100 a barrel in 2008--do to his observations? Do these phenomena bear his idea out, or do they contradict him?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)