|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Saudi oil so important?
2. What does Baer say about Saudis who come to the United States?
3. What does Baer say the Saudis who participated in the World Trade Center attack have in common?
4. What does the United States State Department shield Saudi Arabia from, according to Baer?
5. How many Saudis participated in the World Trade Center attacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baer describe the relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia after 9/11/2001?
2. What parts of Bandar bin Sultan's career does Baer describe?
3. What information did Baer fish for in his conversation with Yuri, and what was Yuri's response?
4. How does Baer characterize Adnan Khashoggi?
5. What is the relationship between Baer's assessment of Saudi Arabia and the official United States assessment?
6. How does Baer characterize the royal family under King Fahd?
7. How does Baer describe Bandar bin Sultan and his wife's social activities in Washington D.C.?
8. How does Baer characterize the process by which Saudis were granted United States visas?
9. How specifically does Saudi money buy influence in Washington D.C.?
10. What aspect of the relationship between Saudi Arabia and the United States around the time of the World Trade Center attack on September 11, 2001, does Baer describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of 'Sleeping with the Devil'? Is it a history, which describes a region and its background? Is it a position paper? Is it an apologia? Is it an indictment? What aspects of 'Sleeping with the Devil' fit in different genres, and which genre does 'Sleeping with the Devil' primarily belong to?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the U.S. and Saudi Arabia based on the information Baer presents. How are they similar? How are they different? Does money buy power the same way in either country? Is fundamentalist religion equally important in either country? What are the key differences between the two countries?
Essay Topic 3
What proposals does Baer make in his book? Apparently, he wants to do things differently than they were done. How does his book propose that things be done in the future? If you feel that his book does not contain proposals, why do you think that this aspect of Baer's analysis was left out?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)