|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Baer compares Washington D.C. officials to ___________.
2. When did oil development begin in Kirkuk?
3. What kind of aid does Baer say the Saudis gave Afghanistan and Pakistan?
4. How many working wells are there in Saudi Arabia?
5. What are Robert Baer's credentials to be discussing oil vulnerabilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspect of the relationship between Saudi Arabia and the United States around the time of the World Trade Center attack on September 11, 2001, does Baer describe?
2. How does Baer describe the relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia after 9/11/2001?
3. What simile does Baer say describes the relationship between the United States and Saudi money?
4. What is the relationship between Baer's assessment of Saudi Arabia and the official United States assessment?
5. What made Saudi Arabia an area of strategic importance for the United States?
6. What threats of violence does Baer describe in Saudi Arabia?
7. What was the context for Baer's first sight of Bandar bin Sultan's estate in Washington D.C.?
8. What are the important dated Baer cites in the development of Middle East oil?
9. What was Baer's business with Yuri?
10. How does Baer characterize Adnan Khashoggi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
What are the key contradictions at the heart of the United States' involvement in the Middle East? What balances are struck between opposing trends or movements? For instance, how does the United States' desire for democracy in the Middle East apparently balance the United States' willingness to let countries like Saudi Arabia fund terrorist states?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the case for democracy in Saudi Arabia and the Middle East based on Baer's observations. What are the main challenges to democracy in the Middle East? What are the benefits it might offer? What problems might democracy solve?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)