|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Baer describe the Saudi society?
(a) A feudal aristocracy.
(b) A technocracy.
(c) An advanced welfare state.
(d) A monarchy.
2. What position did Khalid hold in Khartoum when Baer met him there?
3. When was the Muslim Brotherhood founded?
4. What does Baer say happened after King Fahd suffered a stroke in 1995?
(a) The military made an attempt at taking control of the country.
(b) The people began to stage uprisings.
(c) Saudi Arabia experienced problems.
(d) A smooth transition was made.
5. How are Alawite beliefs transmitted?
(a) In writing.
(b) Through initiations.
(d) By ecstatic visions.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Baer leave the CIA?
2. What did Abdallah want to do when he became the leader?
3. How does Baer say the Muslim Brotherhood was viewed?
4. Baer says Namangan is known as ___________.
5. Why did the Saudis have difficulty paying for the Boeing deal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baer say was the difference between King Fahd and his son in terms of governing philosophy?
2. What is the role of it International Islamic Relief Organization in the Middle East?
3. How has oil wealth affected the size of the Saudi royal family, in Baer's opinion?
4. What was the first event that convinced Baer that the CIA was out of touch with what was happening in the Middle East?
5. How does Baer describe the importance of American arms in Saudi Arabia?
6. How does Baer say the United States influenced Saudi culture?
7. According to Baer, what is the United States policy in the Middle East?
8. What terrorist attack followed the Boeing deal between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia?
9. How did the fall of the Soviet Union change the importance of the Middle East for America?
10. How does Baer say that the Middle East nations responded to the Muslim Brotherhood?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)