|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baer say the Saudi rulers are targets for?
(a) Foreign invasion.
(d) Terrorist attack.
2. Who is Yuri?
(a) A Russian arms dealer.
(b) A United Nations inspector.
(c) An American arms expert.
(d) A Jordanian terrorist.
3. Why is this oil difficult to procure?
(a) Terrorist attacks.
(b) United Nations sanctions.
(c) Price instability.
(d) Domestic instability.
4. What was Bandar bin Sultan's position before he was the Saudi ambassador to the United States?
(a) Military attaché.
(b) Oil geologist.
5. What does Baer say was the United States State Department's reaction to the Saudi support in Pakistan?
(a) Vociferous protests.
(b) No protests.
(c) Covert military strikes.
(d) UN sanctions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes smuggling into Saudi Arabia easy, according to Robert Baer?
2. How does Baer say the Saudi royal princes supplement their royal allowances?
3. Where does the oil at Abqaiq come from?
4. What is the Carlyle Group?
5. When did oil production begin in Saudi Arabia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Baer's assessment of Saudi Arabia and the official United States assessment?
2. What was Baer's business with Yuri?
3. What protection does Baer say the United States government offers the Saudis?
4. How does Baer characterize the process by which Saudis were granted United States visas?
5. How specifically does Saudi money buy influence in Washington D.C.?
6. What threats of violence does Baer describe in Saudi Arabia?
7. What makes the Abqaiq crude oil complex vulnerable to terrorist attacks, according to Baer?
8. Who are the Wahhabis, and what is their role in Saudi culture?
9. What are the important dated Baer cites in the development of Middle East oil?
10. What anecdote does Baer say illustrates the standard of business in the Middle East?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)