|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the first Middle East oil well drilled?
2. What Pakistani project did the Saudi government support with more than $1 billion in aid?
(a) Nuclear bomb development.
(b) Nuclear reactors for power plants.
(c) A hydroelectric dam.
(d) High-speed rail.
3. How much of the world's supply of oil is produced in Saudi Arabia?
(a) One fifth.
(b) One third.
(c) One half.
(d) One fourth.
4. What does the United States State Department shield Saudi Arabia from, according to Baer?
(a) Political instability.
(b) Attacks on human rights abuses.
(c) Monetary instability.
(d) Terrorist attacks.
5. Who is Princess Haifa?
(a) The Saudi queen.
(b) The head of Saudi Arabia's parliament.
(c) Bandar bin Sultan's wife.
(d) Bandar bin Sultan' mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Baer surprised by on his travels?
2. Who does Baer say benefited from Bandar bin Sultan' charitable giving?
3. Where did Baer travel in 1994?
4. Why was Saudi oil so important?
5. Where does the oil at Abqaiq come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the important dated Baer cites in the development of Middle East oil?
2. How does Baer characterize smuggling into Saudi Arabia?
3. What makes the Abqaiq crude oil complex vulnerable to terrorist attacks, according to Baer?
4. How does Saudi Arabia use the oil market to maintain a stable relationship with the United States?
5. What threats of violence does Baer describe in Saudi Arabia?
6. What made Saudi Arabia an area of strategic importance for the United States?
7. What simile does Baer say describes the relationship between the United States and Saudi money?
8. How does Baer characterize the process by which Saudis were granted United States visas?
9. How specifically does Saudi money buy influence in Washington D.C.?
10. What aspect of the relationship between Saudi Arabia and the United States around the time of the World Trade Center attack on September 11, 2001, does Baer describe?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)