|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Baer says Namangan is known as ___________.
(a) The center of Islamic fundamentalism.
(b) The heart of international terrorism.
(c) The center of Central Asian gas production.
(d) The heart of a new, oil-supported aristocracy.
2. What did Asad do when the Muslim Brotherhood tried to have him killed?
(a) He went into exile.
(b) He stepped down.
(c) He killed Muslim Brothers in Jordanian prisons.
(d) He waged war on the Muslim Brotherhood.
3. Baer says Saudis are educated in ____________.
(b) Practical trades.
(c) Humanities and social sciences.
(d) Science and technology.
4. What was the Muslim Brotherhood's goal?
(a) To fulfill Islamic prophesies and make a messianic Islam.
(b) To reconcile differences between Islam and other religions.
(c) To purify Islam.
(d) To make Islam more open and accepting of other religions.
5. What does Baer say the Saudis buy with American oil money?
(a) American weapons.
(b) American politicians.
(c) European luxury goods.
(d) American real estate.
6. What does Baer say was the CIA's response?
(a) He says that they were interested, but his report got misplaced.
(b) He says they opened investigations but couldn't replicate his findings.
(c) He says that they took their time in opening investigations into his information.
(d) He says that they weren't interested.
7. How does Baer characterize the American attitude to Saudi politics?
(a) They foster corruption because it keeps oil prices stable.
(b) They don't care as long as they get oil.
(c) They press for reforms at every opportunity.
(d) They are highly concerned about human rights abuses and undemocratic practices.
8. What is the Saudi royal family's relationship with the International Islamic Relief Organization?
(a) They are hostile to it.
(b) They are owned by it.
(c) They control it.
(d) They are donors to it.
9. What was Baer's feeling about the CIA when he left?
(a) He felt they were out of touch.
(b) He felt that corruption had caused the agency to be effectively blind.
(c) He felt they were watching the wrong threats.
(d) He felt they were pushing their own policies too strongly.
10. Why does Baer say the United States supports the Saudi government?
(a) They are waiting for democratic reform.
(b) They believe they are fighting terrorism.
(c) They believe they are the least evil option.
(d) They are corrupt, paid for by Saudi oil money.
11. When was Khalid released from prison?
12. What did Baer work on in Beirut?
(a) Building infrastructure.
(b) Training counter-terrorist forces.
(c) The American hostage problem.
(d) Learning about the Muslim Brotherhood.
13. Why is this person a good role model?
(a) He protected his country's independence from the oil economy.
(b) He cracked down on the Muslim Brotherhood.
(c) He instituted democratic reforms.
(d) He weaned his country off petrodollars.
14. Who determines succession in Saudi society?
(a) The constitution.
(b) The people.
(c) The senior princes.
15. What plot does Baer say he passed along to the CIA?
(a) To kill Crown Prince Abdallah.
(b) To kidnap the black prince.
(c) To blow up airplanes.
(d) To attack U.S. embassies abroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baer say Saudi Arabia reacted after a car bomb went off in a United States training facility in Riyadh?
2. What did Na'if blame Saudi problems on in 2002, according to Baer?
3. What was Baer looking into there?
4. Where did Baer work with Zuhagr Shawish?
5. How does the Saudi government rule?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)