|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baer say the Qatar government gave to Osama bin Laden?
(a) Diplomatic immunity.
(b) Access to high-technology explosives.
(c) Passports and refuge.
(d) Money and training facilities.
2. Who is Jamal Hamdan?
(a) An opposition leader.
(b) An informant.
(c) A militant.
(d) A hostage.
3. When was Baer in Jordan?
4. Baer says the United States created this political situation in Saudi Arabia with ______________.
(a) Its need to export democracy.
(b) Its need for oil.
(c) Its need to enforce stability in the Middle East.
(d) Its need to support Israel.
5. Baer says Namangan is known as ___________.
(a) The center of Islamic fundamentalism.
(b) The heart of a new, oil-supported aristocracy.
(c) The center of Central Asian gas production.
(d) The heart of international terrorism.
6. How does Baer say Saudi Arabia reacted after a car bomb went off in a United States training facility in Riyadh?
(a) They traced the explosives to the Saudi army and rooted out the perpetrators.
(b) They captured all but one of the suspects' families.
(c) They executed four men before United States investigators could talk to them.
(d) They prevented United States investigators from making any investigation.
7. What does Baer say might have happened if the Muslim Brotherhood had been treated as an international organization?
(a) The U.S. would have invaded Jordan.
(b) The U.S. would have found the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
(c) 9/11 might have been prevented.
(d) Sanctions would have been imposed on countries that harbored the Muslim Brotherhood.
8. What did the Muslim Brotherhood try to do to Asad in 1973?
(a) Overthrow him.
(b) Install him in power.
(c) Assassinate him.
(d) Have him exiled.
9. When was the Muslim Brotherhood founded?
10. How are Alawite beliefs transmitted?
(b) Through initiations.
(c) In writing.
(d) By ecstatic visions.
11. Where did Russians begin to have problems with Islamic fundamentalism?
12. When did Russians begin to have problems with Islamic fundamentalism?
13. Where did Khalid Sheikh Muhammad meet Osama bin Laden?
(c) Saudi Arabia.
14. What does a Congressional Research Service study say would happen if the United States took over Saudi Arabia's oil fields?
(a) The United States would look bad in front of the world.
(b) The United States would enflame regional tensions and instigate regional hostilities.
(c) The United States would be able to stabilize the world market for oil.
(d) Russia and China would fight them.
15. What position did Khalid hold in Khartoum when Baer met him there?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the Crown Prince when his father suffered a stroke?
2. What is the problem of the Saudi economy?
3. Whom did Baer suggest as a good role model for a strategy for governing in the Middle East?
4. How does Baer characterize the Saudis?
5. Baer says the commissions from the Boeing sale of aircraft to Saudi Arabia were used for __________.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)