|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Na'if blame Saudi problems on in 2002, according to Baer?
(a) The Muslim Brotherhood.
(b) Radical Islam.
2. What was Baer's feeling about the CIA when he left?
(a) He felt they were out of touch.
(b) He felt they were watching the wrong threats.
(c) He felt that corruption had caused the agency to be effectively blind.
(d) He felt they were pushing their own policies too strongly.
3. Who was sponsoring the Chechen training camps?
(a) The Muslim Brotherhood.
(d) King Fahd.
4. How does Baer say the Muslim Brotherhood was viewed?
(a) As an organized movement.
(b) As a series of isolated individuals.
(c) As a local problem in various places.
(d) As a messianic religion.
5. What does Baer say would result from free elections in Saudi Arabia?
(a) Muslim extremism.
(c) Democratic reforms.
(d) Black markets and organized crime.
6. Why was the Muslim Brotherhood banned?
(a) They became violent.
(b) They assassinated American journalists.
(c) They murdered American captives.
(d) They tried to overthrow the Jordanian government.
7. Why is this person a good role model?
(a) He protected his country's independence from the oil economy.
(b) He instituted democratic reforms.
(c) He weaned his country off petrodollars.
(d) He cracked down on the Muslim Brotherhood.
8. Who is protecting the status quo in Saudi Arabia?
(a) The Saudi people.
(b) The CIA.
(c) The Saudi royal family.
9. How does Baer say American arms are delivered to Saudi Arabia?
(a) As exports.
(b) As bribes.
(c) As gifts.
(d) As kickbacks.
10. What is the Saudi royal family's relationship with the International Islamic Relief Organization?
(a) They are owned by it.
(b) They are hostile to it.
(c) They are donors to it.
(d) They control it.
11. How does Baer describe the Saudi society?
(a) A monarchy.
(b) A feudal aristocracy.
(c) An advanced welfare state.
(d) A technocracy.
12. What does Baer say might have happened if the Muslim Brotherhood had been treated as an international organization?
(a) Sanctions would have been imposed on countries that harbored the Muslim Brotherhood.
(b) The U.S. would have found the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
(c) 9/11 might have been prevented.
(d) The U.S. would have invaded Jordan.
13. When was Baer in Jordan?
14. When was Khalid released from prison?
15. How does the Saudi government rule?
(a) By pandering to the people with entitlement programs.
(b) By oppressing the people, and directing their anger against the West.
(c) By letting the market determine the political climate.
(d) By suppressing all dissent and repressing free speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose government does Baer say he thought people were planning to overthrow?
2. Why didn't the CIA have information about the Muslim Brotherhood in the 1950s, according to Baer?
3. Where did Baer work with Zuhagr Shawish?
4. Who is Danny Pearl?
5. What happened to the Muslim Brotherhood after reprisals following an assassination attempt in 1954?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)