|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baer say was George H. W. Bush's relationship with the Carlyle Group?
(c) Political ambassador.
2. To whom were the Saudi oil fields originally leased?
(a) Standard Oil.
3. What kind of aid does Baer say the Saudis gave Afghanistan and Pakistan?
(d) Military supplies.
4. What does Yuri offer to make the deal he is making more convincing?
(a) Missiles and launchers.
(c) Protection from organized crime.
5. Why was Saudi oil so important?
(a) Other nations could have exploited it instead of the United States.
(b) Saudi oil was the highest quality, most-easily-refined oil.
(c) Whoever controlled it would control world oil supply.
(d) Saudi Arabia was at the heart of a politically volatile area.
6. What is Robert Baer's thesis about the Saudi royal family?
(a) It is fueling terrorism in other parts of the Middle East.
(b) It has been corrupted by oil money.
(c) It will not be able to afford peace from terrorist attacks forever.
(d) It is initiating a democracy in the Middle East.
7. Where did Baer travel in 1994?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
8. What did the House of Sa'ud build in the 1970s, according to Baer?
(a) Nuclear weapons.
(b) International treaties.
(c) Military bases.
(d) Schools and mosques.
9. What is Wahhabism?
(a) A self-determination movement among rural Saudis.
(b) The state religion of Saudi Arabia.
(c) A rebel movement against the Saudi government.
(d) A form of cosmopolitan Islam.
10. What does Baer say the United States began to discover after 9/11?
(a) Bin Laden had freely visited relatives in Saudi Arabia.
(b) Bin Laden was supported by the Saudi royal family.
(c) Saudis had funded the 9/11 attack.
(d) Saudi Arabia was not a trusted ally.
11. When was the first Middle East oil well drilled?
12. What was Bandar bin Sultan's position before he was the Saudi ambassador to the United States?
(c) Military attaché.
(d) Oil geologist.
13. What does Baer say the United States government had not performed before the Saudis were admitted to the country?
(a) Background checks.
(c) Credit checks.
(d) Criminal background checks.
14. How old was Bandar bin Sultan when he became Saudi Ambassador to the U.S.?
15. Who provides for Saudi Arabia's external defense?
(b) The Arab League.
(c) The U.S.
(d) Saudi Arabia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baer say the Saudis have done in order to buy influence in America?
2. What does Baer say Saudi money supports in the U.S.?
3. Why is this oil difficult to procure?
4. Who is Adnan Khashoggi?
5. What does Baer say is tightly tied to the Saudi kingdom?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)