|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Kirkuk?
(b) Southern Pakistan.
(c) Western Afghanistan.
(d) Northern Iraq.
2. Who is Yuri?
(a) A United Nations inspector.
(b) An American arms expert.
(c) A Russian arms dealer.
(d) A Jordanian terrorist.
3. What was Baer surprised by on his travels?
(a) The corruption.
(b) The rents and prices.
(c) The volume of oil exports.
(d) The political instability.
4. Who does Baer say benefited from Bandar bin Sultan' charitable giving?
(a) Organizations that sponsor cancer research.
(b) Organizations that helped 9/11 attackers.
(c) Organizations that sponsor international terrorism.
(d) Organizations that negotiate joint military actions.
5. What does Baer say Saudis believe about Americans?
(a) American capitalism is poisonous to nationalism.
(b) The Middle East turmoil is in their interest.
(c) Washington is for sale.
(d) They will support forces on both sides of a conflict if they can make money.
6. To whom were the Saudi oil fields originally leased?
(b) Standard Oil.
7. How much of the world's supply of oil is produced in Saudi Arabia?
(a) One half.
(b) One fifth.
(c) One third.
(d) One fourth.
8. What does Baer say Washington thought of Saudi Arabia after his analysis?
(a) It was stable.
(b) It was under Iran's influence.
(c) It was politically fragile.
(d) It was about to have a revolution.
9. When did oil development begin in Kirkuk?
10. Who provides for Saudi Arabia's external defense?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
(c) The Arab League.
(d) The U.S.
11. What is the Carlyle Group?
(a) A group of American investors.
(b) A group of Saudi petroleum engineers.
(c) A group of American military advisors.
(d) A group of American ideologues.
12. What does Baer say is the Arab way with Washington D.C.?
(a) To build strong relationships by praying together.
(b) To buy influence.
(c) To build mutually beneficial business strategies.
(d) To offer the best value for American investors.
13. Why are the cylindrical towers for hydrodesulfurization vulnerabilities to the Abqaiq site?
(a) Sulfur dioxide gas would be poisonous and corrosive.
(b) The towers are close to residential areas.
(c) The towers are built on a slip fault.
(d) They cannot be repaired without stopping oil production for a year.
14. How does Baer characterize Saudi Arabia's per-capita spending on arms?
(a) Highest in the world.
(b) Second highest in the Middle East behind Israel.
(c) Highest in the Middle East.
(d) Second to the U.S.
15. What does Baer say is tightly tied to the Saudi kingdom?
(a) American counter-culture.
(b) Al Qaeda.
(c) Islamist terrorism.
(d) Moderate Islamism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baer say was George H. W. Bush's relationship with the Carlyle Group?
2. What does Baer say is Bandar bin Sultan's position in Washington D.C.?
3. What makes smuggling into Saudi Arabia easy, according to Robert Baer?
4. What does the State Department proclaim about Saudi Arabia, in Baer's account?
5. What does Yuri offer to make the deal he is making more convincing?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)