|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 21, who calls Scott on New Year's Eve?
2. In Chapter 23, what color racing stripe does Wesley have painted on the side of his car?
3. In Chapter 22, who does Scott see in the office when he delivers a file for Mr. Franka?
4. At the end of Chapter 16, what does Scott's mom make for dinner?
5. When it snows in Chapter 24, how many days does Scott get off school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Scott being noticed in Chapter 26?
2. How does Scott try to make school less stressful for the small and weak in Chapter 26?
3. In Chapter 20, why does Scott rip a note off Lee's locker?
4. What conversation does Scott have with Lee at lunch at the beginning of Chapter 16?
5. What does Scott have to do on the stage crew in Chapter 22?
6. What happens when Scott goes to the office to get a file for Mr. Franka?
7. In Chapter 19, what happens when Scott auditions for the play?
8. In Chapter 16 what does Scott tell the baby about suicide?
9. In Chapter 27, who is the new Spanish teacher, and what is her background?
10. What does Scott say about his dad and his dad's job at the end of Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Scott has three good friends. How does Scott’s relationship with Kyle, Patrick, and Mitch change as they enter high school? What are the circumstances that cause the boys to grow apart?
Essay Topic 2
Scott thinks about suicide when he sees injuries on Lee’s wrists and when Mouth tries to kill himself. What does Scott think about suicide? How does the author use Scott’s journal entries and actions to discuss suicide and convey that it is not a solution to life’s problems?
Essay Topic 3
Bobby seems to be a stereotype character at the beginning of the novel. In what ways is Bobby a stereotype character at the beginning of the book? How does the author develop Bobby’s character to make him a round character? How does Bobby grow and change in the novel?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)