|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jessie taken away in?
2. What does Jessie notice in the galley after the wind dies?
3. What does Jessie say he never got used to on the ship?
4. What do the men who take Jessie say he is worthless without?
5. Whom does Jessie see steal an egg one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jessie's new job when the slaves are on board?
2. What does Jessie worry about when he thinks of his family?
3. What is Purvis punished for, and how harsh is his punishment?
4. What does Ben teach Jessie about the pin?
5. What happens when Jessie meets the Captain?
6. What were the slaves fed when they first came on the ship and what was their reaction?
7. What does the captain do to avoid being caught as an illegal slaver?
8. What does Purvis tell Jessie about the ship's cook?
9. What does Stout get angry about when the wind dies, and what does he do about it?
10. How did Jessie's father die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme, and how did that pursuit affect the characters involved?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)