|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which ration does the captain cut for the crew when the wind dies?
2. Where does Jessie first meet the Captain?
3. What does Jessie say he never got used to on the ship?
4. Who does Jessie call the foulest man alive?
5. What do the men who take Jessie say he is worthless without?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Captain do as they near Cuba, and why?
2. How did Gardere die?
3. What is Jessie trying to think of as he walks home at the beginning of the book?
4. What personal question does Jessie ask Purvis when the Spaniard comes aboard, and what is the answer?
5. What does the captain do to avoid being caught as an illegal slaver?
6. What does Ben teach Jessie about the pin?
7. What does the crew say justifies their illegal activity in the slave trade?
8. What is Purvis punished for, and how harsh is his punishment?
9. How does Jessie feel when he leaves Daniel to start his journey home?
10. What does Jessie hear just before he leaves the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
There were many characters in this book who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What were some of these instances, and how were those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plot branches they were involved in?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)