|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the ship sit near the land?
2. How much does the Captain pay for each slave?
3. How did Jessie's father die?
4. What is used to cover the hatches at the hold?
5. What does Sharkey teach Jessie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the crew say justifies their illegal activity in the slave trade?
2. How does Jessie feel when he first enters Daniel's hut?
3. What does Stout get angry about when the wind dies, and what does he do about it?
4. What does the Captain do as they near Cuba, and why?
5. What is Jessie's new job when the slaves are on board?
6. What does the Captain give Jessie for guessing about the contents of the chest?
7. What does Jessie do after the Civil War?
8. How does Jessie feel when he leaves Daniel to start his journey home?
9. Who is the Spaniard?
10. How do the slaves act when their shackles are removed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what affect do they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)