|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Jessie to get breathless on the ship at one point?
2. What has Jessie's mother told him to stay away from?
3. How long is the voyage supposed to take?
4. What do the men who take Jessie say he is worthless without?
5. How many slaves were for sale at the market at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jessie compare Purvis to?
2. What does Stout try to do to make Jessie feel better after Purvis's punishment, and how is this received?
3. How does Jessie feel when he leaves Daniel to start his journey home?
4. What does Stout get angry about when the wind dies, and what does he do about it?
5. What is Jessie doing when he is taken captive?
6. What does the Captain give Jessie for guessing about the contents of the chest?
7. What does Jessie do after the Civil War?
8. What does Jessie do during the Civil War?
9. What do Jessie and Ras do during the day while they are with Daniel?
10. What does Jessie smell when he first wakes up on shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daniel was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How did he accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had he not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
Essay Topic 3
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)