|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes Jessie to see the Captain?
2. What does Spark touch for good luck?
(a) The figure head.
(b) A gold piece.
(c) The main mast.
(d) A carronade.
3. What is Jessie told he will be doing on the ship?
(a) Cleaning the cabins.
(b) Helping the cook.
(c) Playing his fife.
(d) Catching rats.
4. How long has Jessie been at sea when the wind dies?
(a) 5 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 4 weeks.
5. What does Jessie notice in the galley after the wind dies?
(b) Stacks of wooden bowls.
(c) A large barrel of coffee grinds.
(d) A huge cauldron.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jessie have little interaction with?
2. Why does Jessie not believe the man who says he does not want to be involved in the slave trade?
3. How long did the captain Purvis knew trade slaves before being caught?
4. Who does Jessie call the foulest man alive?
5. What does Jessie give the man who is struggling on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What errand does Jessie's mother send him on when he gets home at the beginning of the book?
2. How does Jessie describe his swim to shore?
3. What happens when Stout throws a young slave girl overboard?
4. How are the Captain's spirits during the first days of sailing?
5. How did Gardere die?
6. Who is the Spaniard?
7. What does Jessie smell when he first wakes up on shore?
8. Which crew member protests the slave trade, and why does Jessie not believe his sincerity?
9. What does Jessie see as he swims towards the shore?
10. What does Stout try to do to make Jessie feel better after Purvis's punishment, and how is this received?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)