|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jessie's bed on the ship?
(a) In the tween decks.
(b) In the forecastle.
(c) In the hold.
(d) In the galley.
2. After the fire in New Orleans, what did Jessie stare at while thinking about the power of fire?
(a) A candle.
(b) A lamp.
(c) The fireplace.
(d) The sun.
3. What will all the sailors carry when the slaves are on board?
4. What does the captain use to change the ship's nationality when needed?
(a) A fake translator.
(b) Different accents.
(c) Clothing in different styles.
(d) Foreign flags.
5. What is Jessie most afraid of as he is taken through the marshes?
(c) Not making it back home.
(d) Cottonmouth snakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Jessie think Purvis resembles?
2. How old is Jessie when he is put on the ship?
3. What was the name of the slave who shooed Jessie away from a window?
4. What does Spark touch for good luck?
5. What bent the trees on an island Jessie sees off the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Jessie when he returns to his home in New Orleans?
2. How do the slaves act when their shackles are removed?
3. What is Jessie trying to think of as he walks home at the beginning of the book?
4. What is Jessie's new job when the slaves are on board?
5. Who is the Spaniard?
6. What happened to Spark when the ship changed course?
7. What personal question does Jessie ask Purvis when the Spaniard comes aboard, and what is the answer?
8. What does Stout try to do to make Jessie feel better after Purvis's punishment, and how is this received?
9. What does Jessie notice about the young boy slave during a dancing session one day?
10. What does Ned say when Jessie first boards the ship?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)