|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men on the ship start doing when the wind dies?
2. How did Jessie's father die?
(b) Was murdered and robbed.
(d) Caught pneumonia.
3. Who does Jessie talk to when he is curious about his first sight of the slaves?
4. What does Jessie want the cook to give him when the wind dies?
5. What does Sharkey teach Jessie?
(a) To mend a sail.
(b) To climb the ratlines.
(c) To use a compass.
(d) To secure a rigging.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the ship sit near the land?
2. What bent the trees on an island Jessie sees off the ship?
3. What is Jessie most afraid of as he is taken through the marshes?
4. Which country is the most fearsome to the ships in the slave trade?
5. What stops the quarreling on the ship while in the Bight of Benin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which crew member protests the slave trade, and why does Jessie not believe his sincerity?
2. How did Stout start his sailing career?
3. Why does the Captain like to hold balls for his slaves?
4. What is Jessie's new job when the slaves are on board?
5. How did Jessie's father die?
6. How does Jessie describe his swim to shore?
7. What does Jessie notice about the young boy slave during a dancing session one day?
8. What does Jessie compare Purvis to?
9. How are the Captain's spirits during the first days of sailing?
10. What personal question does Jessie ask Purvis when the Spaniard comes aboard, and what is the answer?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)