|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in charge of the slaves when they are on the ship?
2. What helped Jessie swim to shore?
(a) The African boy.
(b) The waves.
(c) An inner voice.
(d) The cry of birds.
3. What does Stout give Jessie after sending him to the Captain's cabin?
(a) A hat.
(b) An apple.
4. What drowns out Jessie's fife during the dancing?
(a) The sound of the chains.
(b) The slaves' chanting.
(c) The crying children.
(d) The clapping crew.
5. What does Cooley want to own one day?
(a) A cockfighting pit.
(b) A ship.
(c) An island.
(d) A bull ranch.
6. What makes Jessie so agitated when he first plays for the slaves?
(a) They are naked.
(b) They seem lifeless.
(c) He feels cruel.
(d) They stink.
7. Which of the slaves are unshackled?
(a) None of them.
(b) The elderly.
(c) Women and children.
(d) The weak and sick.
8. Who flogged Jessie?
(d) The Captain.
9. What does Jessie pretend to catch his foot in when the slaves are being thrown overboard?
(a) The wheel.
(b) A ripped sail.
(c) A bucket.
(d) A coil of rope.
10. What do Jessie and the African boy do while hiding?
(a) Watch the storm.
(b) Sing songs.
(c) Talk to each other.
(d) Hold each other.
11. How do Jessie and the African boy help the man who saved them?
(a) Tell him stories.
(b) Play music.
(c) Teach him to read.
(d) Do chores.
12. What will the Spaniard do with the slaves before selling them?
(a) Teach them to speak.
(b) Fatten them.
(c) Cure their illness.
(d) Train them.
13. What trait in Purvis does Jessie notice after they play a game?
(a) His loyalty.
(b) His strength.
(c) His tidiness.
(d) His anger.
14. Who tossed the shackles overboard when the sail was seen?
15. Who does Jessie see washed away in a wave after the storm?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stout hide Jessie's fife?
2. What does Jessie say about men who go to sea voluntarily?
3. What does Purvis say happened to all the men on the ship in his horror story?
4. How does Jessie describe the Cuban shoreline?
5. What does Purvis say when Jessie says he wishes Stout were dead?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)