|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the man come to live on that beach?
(a) He is a runaway slave.
(b) He is not from Africa.
(c) He inherited this land from his father.
(d) He bought his freedom and his land.
2. What game does Purvis play with Jessie after his fife is found?
(a) Cat's Cradle.
(c) Old Maid.
3. What does Jessie smell when he wakes up on the shore?
4. What comes out of the trees when the boys wake up on the shore?
(a) Some geese.
(b) A chicken.
(c) A man.
(d) Some children.
5. What do some of the slave men think the slavers will do to them?
(a) Feed them to the sharks.
(b) Whip them.
(c) Mate them.
(d) Eat them.
6. Where has Jessie seen a flying fish before?
(a) The sign of a pub.
(b) His mother's sewing box.
(c) His grandfather's watch.
(d) In a story book.
7. Who is told to watch over the children when a sail is seen while the Spaniard is aboard?
(a) The Spaniard.
8. Which of the slaves are unshackled?
(a) Women and children.
(b) The weak and sick.
(c) None of them.
(d) The elderly.
9. What does the man say after Jessie tells him the story of the ship?
(a) Your life will never be the same.
(b) Many have shared this feeling.
(c) That is the way it was.
(d) This too, shall pass.
10. What does the Spaniard drink before taking the slaves with him?
11. What does Jessie pretend to catch his foot in when the slaves are being thrown overboard?
(a) The wheel.
(b) A bucket.
(c) A ripped sail.
(d) A coil of rope.
12. Who flogged Jessie?
(b) The Captain.
13. What kind of house does the man who finds Jessie on the shore own?
(a) A tent.
(b) A brick house.
(c) A hut.
(d) A cave.
14. What does Cooley want to own one day?
(a) A bull ranch.
(b) An island.
(c) A cockfighting pit.
(d) A ship.
15. What makes the ship look strange off the coast of Cuba?
(a) The Spanish flag.
(b) The moon.
(c) The discarded shackles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helped Jessie swim to shore?
2. What does Jessie tell the man he is not when he helps the boys?
3. What does Jessie see in the water before he spots a deserted island?
4. What does the man shout to the boys as they run away from him?
5. What will the Spaniard do with the slaves before selling them?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)