|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Spaniard drink before taking the slaves with him?
2. Where does Stout hide Jessie's fife?
(a) In the Galley.
(b) On the rat run.
(c) In the Captain's cabin.
(d) In the hold.
3. What comes out of the trees when the boys wake up on the shore?
(a) A man.
(b) Some geese.
(c) A chicken.
(d) Some children.
4. What kind of sickness does Jessie get after playing for the slaves a few times?
(a) A headache.
(b) A skin rash.
(c) A head cold.
(d) A stomach pain.
5. What does Jessie smell when he wakes up on the shore?
6. Who is in charge of the slaves when they are on the ship?
7. What drowns out Jessie's fife during the dancing?
(a) The clapping crew.
(b) The crying children.
(c) The sound of the chains.
(d) The slaves' chanting.
8. Which of the slaves are unshackled?
(a) None of them.
(b) Women and children.
(c) The weak and sick.
(d) The elderly.
9. How does Jessie start to feel about the slaves after he plays for them a few times?
(a) He ignores their existence.
(b) He loves them.
(c) He pities them.
(d) He hates them.
10. Who tossed the shackles overboard when the sail was seen?
11. Where does Jessie hide with the African boy?
(a) The forehold.
(b) The poop deck.
(c) The tween decks.
(d) The galley.
12. What kind of bed does Jessie sleep in on the ship?
(c) Foam pad.
(d) Bed spring.
13. What does Jessie put on his feet for his journey?
(b) Old boots.
(d) Layers of socks.
14. How does Jessie describe the Cuban shoreline?
15. What does Purvis say when Jessie says he wishes Stout were dead?
(a) He would kill Stout.
(b) He is being unfair.
(c) Stout is dying.
(d) Stout is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the latrine buckets full of when Jessie empties them after seeing a flying fish?
2. What killed Purvis?
3. What does Stout tell Jessie to get out of the Captain's cabin?
4. How does Jessie describe Spark after his flogging?
5. What does Cooley want to own one day?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)