|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cook's name?
2. How old was Jessie when his father died?
3. What has Jessie's mother told him to stay away from?
(c) The market.
(d) The river.
4. What does Purvis say makes cooks so angry?
(a) The heat.
(b) The smell.
(c) The salt.
(d) The smoke.
5. How long did the captain Purvis knew trade slaves before being caught?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 20 years.
6. How old is Jessie when he is put on the ship?
7. What is the first purpose of the pin?
(a) Eating utensil.
(b) Flossing teeth.
(c) Killing rats.
(d) Drawing blood.
8. What was the name of the slave who shooed Jessie away from a window?
9. What is the name of the ship Jessie is taken to?
(a) The Moonlight.
(b) The Star.
(c) The North Star.
(d) The Midnight.
10. How long does the ship sit near the land?
(a) 4 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 6 days.
11. What does Spark do when Sharkey gets drunk?
(a) Whips him.
(b) Throws him overboard.
(c) Kicks his head.
(d) Locks him in the hold.
12. Whom does Jessie trust most on the ship?
13. Whom is Jessie sent to borrow candles from?
(a) Aunt Agatha.
(b) The storekeeper.
(c) Uncle Ernest.
(d) The school mistress.
14. What does Spark touch for good luck?
(a) A gold piece.
(b) A carronade.
(c) The figure head.
(d) The main mast.
15. What is used to cover the hatches at the hold?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jessie say being at sea makes a man think about?
2. What is Jessie's mother's occupation?
3. What stops the quarreling on the ship while in the Bight of Benin?
4. Where is Purvis originally from?
5. What is the Captain's last name?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)