|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who snaps Jessie out of his breathless state at one point?
(a) The Captain.
(c) The Mate.
2. What does Jessie want to be when he gets older?
(a) A chandler.
(b) A grocer.
(c) A slaver.
(d) A banker.
3. What is the name of the man who paid Jessie earlier in the day?
4. Whom does Jessie trust most on the ship?
5. What does the Captain call Jessie?
6. What will all the sailors carry when the slaves are on board?
7. What does Stout get angry about after the wind dies?
(a) Someone accused him of cheating.
(b) Someone emptied his chest.
(c) Someone ate his ration.
(d) Someone made fun of his mother.
8. What is Jessie most afraid of as he is taken through the marshes?
(c) Cottonmouth snakes.
(d) Not making it back home.
9. Which ration does the captain cut for the crew when the wind dies?
10. What strange thing happens on shore when Jessie gets to the Bight of Benin?
(a) They strike a coral reef.
(b) The water is infested with sharks.
(c) Strong waves prevent them from docking.
(d) The shore is on fire.
11. Which country is the most fearsome to the ships in the slave trade?
12. How many homes were destroyed by the fire Jessie saw when he was little?
13. What does Jessie want the cook to give him when the wind dies?
14. What does Spark do when Sharkey gets drunk?
(a) Locks him in the hold.
(b) Throws him overboard.
(c) Whips him.
(d) Kicks his head.
15. What do the men on the ship start doing when the wind dies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Captain do when he first meets Jessie?
2. What is the name of the ship Jessie is taken to?
3. Who tells Jessie about the danger of being caught in the slave trade?
4. Whom does Jessie see steal an egg one night?
5. What does Jessie give the man who is struggling on the ship?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)