|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jessie say he never got used to on the ship?
(a) The tight quarters.
(b) The food.
(c) The movement.
(d) The smell.
2. What bent the trees on an island Jessie sees off the ship?
(a) The slope of the island.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) Prevailing winds.
(d) Strong gorillas.
3. What is used to cover the hatches at the hold?
4. Who sells the slaves from Africa to the slavers?
(a) Young sailors.
(b) The prison keepers.
(c) African Ambassadors.
(d) Native kings.
5. Whom is Jessie sent to borrow candles from?
(a) Uncle Ernest.
(b) The school mistress.
(c) Aunt Agatha.
(d) The storekeeper.
6. How many slaves were for sale at the market at the beginning of the book?
7. How long has Jessie been at sea when the wind dies?
(a) 5 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 4 weeks.
(d) 3 weeks.
8. What is the first purpose of the pin?
(a) Flossing teeth.
(b) Killing rats.
(c) Drawing blood.
(d) Eating utensil.
9. What does the captain use to change the ship's nationality when needed?
(a) Different accents.
(b) Foreign flags.
(c) A fake translator.
(d) Clothing in different styles.
10. Why is Jessie so hesitant about being on a slave ship?
(a) He has heard strange stories about slaver ships.
(b) It is illegal.
(c) He is against slavery.
(d) He does not like slaves.
11. Why is Jessie late coming home at the beginning of the book?
(a) He was playing with his friends.
(b) He was detained at school.
(c) He was visiting his aunts.
(d) He was at the slave market.
12. How many homes were destroyed by the fire Jessie saw when he was little?
13. What does Spark do when Sharkey gets drunk?
(a) Throws him overboard.
(b) Locks him in the hold.
(c) Whips him.
(d) Kicks his head.
14. What does Purvis say makes cooks so angry?
(a) The smoke.
(b) The salt.
(c) The smell.
(d) The heat.
15. What does Sharkey teach Jessie?
(a) To secure a rigging.
(b) To climb the ratlines.
(c) To mend a sail.
(d) To use a compass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jessie want to watch the cook do?
2. What does Stout get angry about after the wind dies?
3. What pains Jessie about being away from his mother?
4. What does the Captain do when he first meets Jessie?
5. What does Jessie do to earn money?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)