1. Who is Jessie?
(a) The narrator's brother.
(b) The narrator's sister.
(c) The antagonist.
(d) The narrator.
2. What is Jessie's mother's occupation?
(a) Butter Churner.
3. What does Jessie say his house is full of?
4. What does Jessie say really provides for his family?
(a) A needle.
(c) His mother's heart.
(d) His father's ghost.
5. What is the only pretty thing in Jessie's house?
(a) A porcelain doll.
(b) A wedding picture of his parents.
(c) His sister.
(d) A basket of thread.
6. Why is Jessie late coming home at the beginning of the book?
(a) He was playing with his friends.
(b) He was visiting his aunts.
(c) He was detained at school.
(d) He was at the slave market.
7. What does Jessie do to earn money?
(a) Does odd chores.
(d) Plays a fife.
8. Whom is Jessie sent to borrow candles from?
(a) The school mistress.
(b) Uncle Ernest.
(c) Aunt Agatha.
(d) The storekeeper.
This section contains 3,460 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)