|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What present does Billy give his wife at their eighteenth wedding anniversary?
2. What is Paul Lazzaro most proud of?
3. What is the one thing that causes Billy to cry during the war?
4. What connection is there between Werner Gluck and Billy Pilgrim?
5. Why does Billy return to Dresden after the war ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Billy Pilgrim wearing by the time he reaches Dresden?
2. What did Paul Lazzaro do to the dog that bit him?
3. Why is Kilgore Trout shadowing Billy at the anniversary party?
4. Why is Dresden so dark at night?
5. Why was the Polish Farm laborer hung in Dresden?
6. Why were there so many girls at the slaughterhouse?
7. What does the phrase "so it goes" mean?
8. What story does Billy Pilgrim tell Montana when she begs him for one?
9. Why does Billy travel to New York?
10. Why do people think Billy is brain damaged after his surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Vonnegut's version of World War II differ from the usual view that we get of the war? Why does he write about this version? Write an essay that analyzes Vonnegut's attitude toward World War II as shown in Slaughterhouse-Five.
Essay Topic 2
Research the life of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., particularly his experiences during World War II. Write an essay describing how his experiences may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing the treatment of the prisoners of war by the Germans to the way prisoners of war are treated today. Use one of the following questions (or your own ideas) to form your thesis:
1) Are prisoners of war treated better or worse now than during World War II?
2) Are the Geneva Conventions still relevant?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)