|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing that causes Billy to cry during the war?
2. Who is Howard J. Campbell?
3. How does Billy find out that the war is over?
4. Who was not permitted to enter Dresden after the bombing?
5. Who catches Billy at his crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is remarkable about Billy while he sleeps in the back of the coffin-shaped wagon in Dresden?
2. What is echolalia?
3. How does Billy Pilgrim die?
4. How does Billy's wife, Valencia, die?
5. What advice does Paul Lazzaro give to Billy Pilgrim?
6. What does the phrase "so it goes" mean?
7. Why do people think Billy is brain damaged after his surgery?
8. How did Tobruk's death change the procedure for recovering corpses?
9. What is the meaning of the last line of the novel?
10. What does Montana Wildhack wear around her neck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roland Weary can be said to personify the typical American war hero, while Billy Pilgrim is anything but. Write an essay comparing these two characters. Which is more heroic?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing the treatment of the prisoners of war by the Germans to the way prisoners of war are treated today. Use one of the following questions (or your own ideas) to form your thesis:
1) Are prisoners of war treated better or worse now than during World War II?
2) Are the Geneva Conventions still relevant?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining one of more of the symbols in this novel. Choose the symbol you want to comment on from the list below, or come up with your own.
a) Billy's outfit (silver boots, blue toga, fur muff)
b) Landscapes (the Grand Canyon, the Rocky Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns)
c) Death symbols (the coffin-shaped wagon)
d) The souvenirs kept by the Americans after the war.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)