|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy find outside the inn?
2. What does Vonnegut imagine doing as he flies over the East German cities?
3. What did the corpses start to smell like?
4. Who, according to Campbell, would the Americans be fighting if they joined him?
5. What work does Billy do as a prisoner of war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is echolalia?
2. What does Howard J. Campbell wear?
3. What objects were hidden in Billy's coat?
4. Why does Billy travel to New York?
5. How does Billy's wife, Valencia, die?
6. What advice does Paul Lazzaro give to Billy Pilgrim?
7. What is remarkable about Billy while he sleeps in the back of the coffin-shaped wagon in Dresden?
8. What does Montana Wildhack wear around her neck?
9. How does Billy Pilgrim die?
10. What story does Billy Pilgrim tell Montana when she begs him for one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Slaughterhouse-Five with another novel or book describing events from World War II. Pick one of the following topics as a focus in your essay:
a) Realism about the war.
c) How personal experiences affect writing.
d) The author's attitude toward war.
Essay Topic 2
Research the life of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., particularly his experiences during World War II. Write an essay describing how his experiences may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
How does luck figure into Billy's Pilgrim's life? Is he a lucky person or an unlucky person? Use examples from the novel to argue your thesis.
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)