|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Billy after the airplane crash?
2. Who is Billy's digging partner?
3. What is Kilgore Trout doing when Billy first meets him?
4. Who offers the American prisoners shelter after the bombing?
5. What does the barbershop quartet at the anniversary party remind Billy of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the German guards in Dresden relieved when they saw the American prisoners of war?
2. How did Tobruk's death change the procedure for recovering corpses?
3. Why, according to the author, is Edgar Derby's speech so remarkable during war?
4. Why does Billy become confused when the skiers arrive to rescue him after the plane crash?
5. What is echolalia?
6. What is Billy Pilgrim wearing by the time he reaches Dresden?
7. Why is Kilgore Trout shadowing Billy at the anniversary party?
8. What do the guards realize after they take the American prisoners back to the slaughterhouse?
9. What objects were hidden in Billy's coat?
10. What story does Billy Pilgrim tell Montana when she begs him for one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write a paper describing the bombing of Dresden in 1944.
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut makes frequent allusions to religious or biblical references in Slaughterhouse-Five. Write an essay that highlights his use of religious and spiritual concepts.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing the treatment of the prisoners of war by the Germans to the way prisoners of war are treated today. Use one of the following questions (or your own ideas) to form your thesis:
1) Are prisoners of war treated better or worse now than during World War II?
2) Are the Geneva Conventions still relevant?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)