|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury does Billy suffer from the airplane crash?
2. What do the American prisoners find at the railroad station?
3. What do Billy, Werner, and Edgar find instead of a kitchen?
4. What happened to Billy's partner?
5. Who was Paul Lazzaro's one friend in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy's wife, Valencia, die?
2. What did Billy Pilgrim ultimately learn from the Tralfamadorans?
3. What advice does Paul Lazzaro give to Billy Pilgrim?
4. Why, according to the author, is Edgar Derby's speech so remarkable during war?
5. What is echolalia?
6. What finally happened to Edgar Derby?
7. What objects were hidden in Billy's coat?
8. Why were the German guards in Dresden relieved when they saw the American prisoners of war?
9. Why were there so many girls at the slaughterhouse?
10. What does Montana Wildhack wear around her neck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you say was Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s purpose in writing this novel? What is the main message of the story? Support your conclusion with quotes or examples from the novel, or interviews with the author.
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut makes frequent allusions to religious or biblical references in Slaughterhouse-Five. Write an essay that highlights his use of religious and spiritual concepts.
Essay Topic 3
Research the life of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., particularly his experiences during World War II. Write an essay describing how his experiences may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)