|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the barbershop quartet who perform on the airplane?
2. Which sport are Kilgore Trout's aliens most interested in?
3. Who used to live in the room where Billy stays?
4. What happened to Billy's partner?
5. What do they find in the ruins of a building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Billy Pilgrim tell Montana when she begs him for one?
2. How does Billy Pilgrim die?
3. Why does Billy travel to New York?
4. What is remarkable about Billy while he sleeps in the back of the coffin-shaped wagon in Dresden?
5. How did the English prisoners of war view the Americans?
6. What does Bernard's article about human population reveal about life?
7. What does the phrase "so it goes" mean?
8. What is echolalia?
9. What do the guards realize after they take the American prisoners back to the slaughterhouse?
10. Why, according to the author, is Edgar Derby's speech so remarkable during war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Slaughterhouse-Five an historical fiction or a science fiction? Write an essay defining each genre and answering this question. Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining one of more of the symbols in this novel. Choose the symbol you want to comment on from the list below, or come up with your own.
a) Billy's outfit (silver boots, blue toga, fur muff)
b) Landscapes (the Grand Canyon, the Rocky Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns)
c) Death symbols (the coffin-shaped wagon)
d) The souvenirs kept by the Americans after the war.
Essay Topic 3
Write a personal essay, explaining your view of death and/or the afterlife. Describe the basis of your views. Did they come from your family, your religion, popular culture, or from a specific source?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)