|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of year is it when the war ends?
2. Why does Billy return to Dresden after the war ends?
3. How does Billy leave the hospital?
4. Who was not permitted to enter Dresden after the bombing?
5. Which Earthling do the Tralfamadorans find the most interesting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What finally happened to Edgar Derby?
2. Why were there so many girls at the slaughterhouse?
3. Why does Billy travel to New York?
4. What does Howard J. Campbell wear?
5. Why does Billy become confused when the skiers arrive to rescue him after the plane crash?
6. Why, according to the author, is Edgar Derby's speech so remarkable during war?
7. How did Tobruk's death change the procedure for recovering corpses?
8. How does Edgar react when Billy feeds him?
9. What does the phrase "so it goes" mean?
10. How does Billy Pilgrim die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write a paper describing the bombing of Dresden in 1944.
Essay Topic 2
Research the life of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., particularly his experiences during World War II. Write an essay describing how his experiences may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Vonnegut's story structure with conventional novels. How does his free associative writing affect the story that he is telling?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)