|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Head Englishman envy the Americans?
2. What is the one thing that causes Billy to cry during the war?
3. Who becomes the Head American?
4. How many novels has Kilgore Trout written?
5. What do Billy, Werner, and Edgar find instead of a kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does he explain the symbolism of his armband?
2. How does Billy's wife, Valencia, die?
3. Why was the Polish Farm laborer hung in Dresden?
4. What is the meaning of the last line of the novel?
5. How did Tobruk's death change the procedure for recovering corpses?
6. What does Bernard's article about human population reveal about life?
7. How does Billy Pilgrim die?
8. What finally happened to Edgar Derby?
9. What story does Billy Pilgrim tell Montana when she begs him for one?
10. What do the guards realize after they take the American prisoners back to the slaughterhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you say was Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s purpose in writing this novel? What is the main message of the story? Support your conclusion with quotes or examples from the novel, or interviews with the author.
Essay Topic 2
The Tralfamadorans have a very different view of time than we do. Write an essay that speculates on how humans will view time in 500 years. Will we still look at it the same way?
Essay Topic 3
Research the life of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., particularly his experiences during World War II. Write an essay describing how his experiences may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)