|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the prisoners of war taken back to Dresden after the bombing?
2. In addition to being Rumfoord's fifth wife, Lily is also. . .
3. Who wrote a fan letter to Kilgore Trout?
4. What do the American pilots do when they see the prisoners of war walking through Dresden after the bombing?
5. What distracts Billy from Campbell's talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is echolalia?
2. How does Billy Pilgrim die?
3. What does Montana Wildhack wear around her neck?
4. How does Billy's wife, Valencia, die?
5. What is Billy Pilgrim wearing by the time he reaches Dresden?
6. How does Edgar react when Billy feeds him?
7. Why was the Polish Farm laborer hung in Dresden?
8. Why were there so many girls at the slaughterhouse?
9. Why, according to the author, is Edgar Derby's speech so remarkable during war?
10. Why does Billy travel to New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining one of more of the symbols in this novel. Choose the symbol you want to comment on from the list below, or come up with your own.
a) Billy's outfit (silver boots, blue toga, fur muff)
b) Landscapes (the Grand Canyon, the Rocky Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns)
c) Death symbols (the coffin-shaped wagon)
d) The souvenirs kept by the Americans after the war.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Tralfamadoran views of life and death with different religious philosophies.
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut makes frequent allusions to religious or biblical references in Slaughterhouse-Five. Write an essay that highlights his use of religious and spiritual concepts.
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)