|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bertram Rumfoord not want to hear Billy talk about Dresden?
2. Who is Bertram Rumfoord?
3. Where does Billy time travel to while he is on the airplane?
4. What distracts Billy from Campbell's talk?
5. Who died a month earlier than that?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Paul Lazzaro give to Billy Pilgrim?
2. Why were the German guards in Dresden relieved when they saw the American prisoners of war?
3. How does Billy's wife, Valencia, die?
4. How does Edgar react when Billy feeds him?
5. What does the phrase "so it goes" mean?
6. What does Bernard's article about human population reveal about life?
7. What story does Billy Pilgrim tell Montana when she begs him for one?
8. What objects were hidden in Billy's coat?
9. How did Tobruk's death change the procedure for recovering corpses?
10. How does he explain the symbolism of his armband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Tralfamadorans have a very different view of time than we do. Write an essay that speculates on how humans will view time in 500 years. Will we still look at it the same way?
Essay Topic 2
How does luck figure into Billy's Pilgrim's life? Is he a lucky person or an unlucky person? Use examples from the novel to argue your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing the treatment of the prisoners of war by the Germans to the way prisoners of war are treated today. Use one of the following questions (or your own ideas) to form your thesis:
1) Are prisoners of war treated better or worse now than during World War II?
2) Are the Geneva Conventions still relevant?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)