|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Billy Pilgrim learn to swim?
2. What is the first thing both the Germans and the Tralfamadorans have Billy do?
3. What does the author compare the march of American prisoners to?
4. Where did the soldiers take Billy and Roland?
5. What happens to Billy in 1968?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the army scouts who left Billy and Roland behind?
2. How do the Tralfamadorans answer Billy's question about being kidnapped?
3. Why does Billy keep a framed copy of the Serenity Prayer in his office?
4. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
5. How does Billy describe the Tralfamadorans?
6. Describe the structure of a Tralfamadoran novel.
7. Why do the soliders not want Billy to sleep near them?
8. What is unusual about the way Tralfamadorans view time?
9. Why do the Tralfamadorans not believe in free will?
10. What does it mean that Billy Pilgrim is "unstuck in time?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Howard J. Campbell appears in another novel by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr, called Mother Night. Compare the character as depicted in that novel with the Howard J. Campbell that appears in Slaughterhouse-Five.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write a paper describing the bombing of Dresden in 1944.
Essay Topic 3
Is Slaughterhouse-Five an historical fiction or a science fiction? Write an essay defining each genre and answering this question. Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)