|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it about the Grand Canyon that scared Billy?
2. What was Edgar Derby's job before he joined the army?
3. What does Billy's doctor advise him to do every day?
4. This took place in:
5. Kurt Vonnegut tells Mary O'Hare that he is going to call his book:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy describe the Tralfamadorans?
2. What is unusual about the way Tralfamadorans view time?
3. What does the story of Sodom and Gomorrah have to do with Vonnegut's book about Dresden?
4. Where does Billy time travel to when the spaceship hits a time warp?
5. What happened to the army scouts who left Billy and Roland behind?
6. Describe the structure of a Tralfamadoran novel.
7. Where were the American prisoners of war kept as they were captured?
8. Why does Billy keep a framed copy of the Serenity Prayer in his office?
9. What did Kurt Vonnegut learn about the bombing of Dresden when he wrote to the Air Force for details?
10. Why is Billy afraid to drop down from the railroad car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you say was Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s purpose in writing this novel? What is the main message of the story? Support your conclusion with quotes or examples from the novel, or interviews with the author.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write a paper describing the bombing of Dresden in 1944.
Essay Topic 3
The Tralfamadorans have a very different view of time than we do. Write an essay that speculates on how humans will view time in 500 years. Will we still look at it the same way?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)