|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the prized possession of the Commander who captured Billy and Roland?
2. What does Billy do the night before his daughter's wedding?
3. What, according to Vonnegut, will be the end of this book?
4. What is unique about the coat Billy Pilgrim gets from the Germans?
5. What does the Marine major tell Billy at the Lion's Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy Pilgrim die?
2. What is the meaning of the last line of the novel?
3. According to the aliens in Kilgore Trout's book, what is the flaw in the story of Christ?
4. What is Billy Pilgrim wearing by the time he reaches Dresden?
5. What does the story of Sodom and Gomorrah have to do with Vonnegut's book about Dresden?
6. Where does Billy time travel to when the spaceship hits a time warp?
7. What does Montana Wildhack wear around her neck?
8. What story does Billy Pilgrim tell Montana when she begs him for one?
9. Where were the American prisoners of war kept as they were captured?
10. How does Edgar react when Billy feeds him?
Essay Topic 1
Research and write a paper describing the bombing of Dresden in 1944.
Essay Topic 2
Research the life of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., particularly his experiences during World War II. Write an essay describing how his experiences may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Slaughterhouse-Five with another novel or book describing events from World War II. Pick one of the following topics as a focus in your essay:
a) Realism about the war.
c) How personal experiences affect writing.
d) The author's attitude toward war.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)