|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Tralfamadorans do with Billy?
2. What does his father notice about Vonnegut's books?
3. Who dies in the railroad boxcars?
4. What does Billy's doctor advise him to do every day?
5. Why are the American prisoners given showers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Billy afraid to drop down from the railroad car?
2. Why were the British officers in this particular camp?
3. Why do the Tralfamadorans not believe in free will?
4. How does Billy describe the Tralfamadorans?
5. What happened to the army scouts who left Billy and Roland behind?
6. Why did Roland Weary start to beat and kick Billy?
7. Why does the author keep reminding the reader that Edgar Derby will die in Dresden?
8. What did Kurt Vonnegut learn about the bombing of Dresden when he wrote to the Air Force for details?
9. Where were the American prisoners of war kept as they were captured?
10. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay addressing the use of humor in Slaughterhouse-Five. How does the author use humor in the book? Use examples from the text to illustrate your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Tralfamadoran views of life and death with different religious philosophies.
Essay Topic 3
Roland Weary can be said to personify the typical American war hero, while Billy Pilgrim is anything but. Write an essay comparing these two characters. Which is more heroic?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)