|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Eliot Rosewater tell Billy about?
2. Vonnegut dedicates the book to Mary O'Hare and Gerhard Müller. Who is Gerhard Müller?
3. By the time they reach Luxembourg, Roland Weary is reduced to wearing. . .
4. Why is Billy taken to the hospital during the play?
5. Who is Barbara Pilgrim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it unusual for Kurt Vonnegut to appear in this book as a character?
2. Why does Kurt Vonnegut use real information from his life in this book?
3. Why does Billy keep a framed copy of the Serenity Prayer in his office?
4. Name some of the places in time that Billy travels to in this chapter.
5. Where were the American prisoners of war kept as they were captured?
6. How do the Tralfamadorans answer Billy's question about being kidnapped?
7. Why were the British officers in this particular camp?
8. Why do the soliders not want Billy to sleep near them?
9. What parts of Ilium remind Billy of the ruined towns in World War II?
10. Why is Billy afraid to drop down from the railroad car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay addressing the use of humor in Slaughterhouse-Five. How does the author use humor in the book? Use examples from the text to illustrate your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Is Slaughterhouse-Five an historical fiction or a science fiction? Write an essay defining each genre and answering this question. Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing the treatment of the prisoners of war by the Germans to the way prisoners of war are treated today. Use one of the following questions (or your own ideas) to form your thesis:
1) Are prisoners of war treated better or worse now than during World War II?
2) Are the Geneva Conventions still relevant?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)