|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Billy Pilgrim learn to swim?
2. Where does Billy find himself the morning after he becomes drunk at the party?
3. What happens to Billy in 1968?
4. What type of book does Vonnegut tell his friend he is writing?
5. How do the Tralfamadorans make Billy climb the ladder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Kurt Vonnegut learn about the bombing of Dresden when he wrote to the Air Force for details?
2. What was the Children's Crusade?
3. What happened to the army scouts who left Billy and Roland behind?
4. Why does Billy keep a framed copy of the Serenity Prayer in his office?
5. Why is Billy afraid to drop down from the railroad car?
6. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
7. Why does Vonnegut say this book will be "jumbled and jangled?"
8. Where does Billy time travel to when the spaceship hits a time warp?
9. What does the story of Sodom and Gomorrah have to do with Vonnegut's book about Dresden?
10. Why were Roland Weary's feet so bloody?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining one of more of the symbols in this novel. Choose the symbol you want to comment on from the list below, or come up with your own.
a) Billy's outfit (silver boots, blue toga, fur muff)
b) Landscapes (the Grand Canyon, the Rocky Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns)
c) Death symbols (the coffin-shaped wagon)
d) The souvenirs kept by the Americans after the war.
Essay Topic 2
Write an analysis of one of the major characters in Slaughterhouse-Five. Track their actions through the book and comment on their purpose in furthering the plot or theme of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that the firebombing of Dresden was a justified act of war? Use research to support your answer.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)