|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had the British soldiers been prisoners of war?
2. Who does Roland Weary blame for his death?
3. What play do the English prisoners put on to welcome the Americans?
4. Where does Billy find himself the morning after he becomes drunk at the party?
5. What happens to Billy in 1968?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vonnegut say this book will be "jumbled and jangled?"
2. How did Billy finally get some sleep?
3. Why does the author keep reminding the reader that Edgar Derby will die in Dresden?
4. Describe the structure of a Tralfamadoran novel.
5. Why were the British officers in this particular camp?
6. Why do the soliders not want Billy to sleep near them?
7. What does Billy extrapolate happening after the end of the war movie he is watching on the night before his daughter's wedding?
8. According to the aliens in Kilgore Trout's book, what is the flaw in the story of Christ?
9. Where does Billy time travel to when the spaceship hits a time warp?
10. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an analysis of one of the major characters in Slaughterhouse-Five. Track their actions through the book and comment on their purpose in furthering the plot or theme of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Slaughterhouse-Five with another novel or book describing events from World War II. Pick one of the following topics as a focus in your essay:
a) Realism about the war.
c) How personal experiences affect writing.
d) The author's attitude toward war.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that the firebombing of Dresden was a justified act of war? Use research to support your answer.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)