|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Edgar Derby's job before he joined the army?
2. Why are the American prisoners given showers?
3. Who promises to avenge Roland?
4. What surprised the British officers most about the American prisoners?
5. Where is Billy when he wakes up from his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Children's Crusade?
2. Where were the American prisoners of war kept as they were captured?
3. Describe the structure of a Tralfamadoran novel.
4. What did Kurt Vonnegut learn about the bombing of Dresden when he wrote to the Air Force for details?
5. What is unusual about the way Tralfamadorans view time?
6. Why were the British officers in this particular camp?
7. Why is it unusual for Kurt Vonnegut to appear in this book as a character?
8. Why does the author keep reminding the reader that Edgar Derby will die in Dresden?
9. What does Billy extrapolate happening after the end of the war movie he is watching on the night before his daughter's wedding?
10. Why were Roland Weary's feet so bloody?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an analysis of one of the major characters in Slaughterhouse-Five. Track their actions through the book and comment on their purpose in furthering the plot or theme of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Is Slaughterhouse-Five an historical fiction or a science fiction? Write an essay defining each genre and answering this question. Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Roland Weary can be said to personify the typical American war hero, while Billy Pilgrim is anything but. Write an essay comparing these two characters. Which is more heroic?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)