|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy compare the guard's railroad car to?
2. What is Billy's position in the war?
3. How does Billy's son Robert straighten out his life?
4. How did Billy Pilgrim learn to swim?
5. What does the author compare the march of American prisoners to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy describe the Tralfamadorans?
2. When does Billy Pilgrim first experience being unstuck in time?
3. Why does the author keep reminding the reader that Edgar Derby will die in Dresden?
4. Where does Billy time travel to when the spaceship hits a time warp?
5. Why does Vonnegut say this book will be "jumbled and jangled?"
6. Why were the British officers in this particular camp?
7. What happened to the army scouts who left Billy and Roland behind?
8. How do the Tralfamadorans answer Billy's question about being kidnapped?
9. Why does Billy keep a framed copy of the Serenity Prayer in his office?
10. Name some of the places in time that Billy travels to in this chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you say was Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s purpose in writing this novel? What is the main message of the story? Support your conclusion with quotes or examples from the novel, or interviews with the author.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that the firebombing of Dresden was a justified act of war? Use research to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Vonnegut's story structure with conventional novels. How does his free associative writing affect the story that he is telling?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)