|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Billy when he wakes up from his dream?
2. What author does Eliot Rosewater tell Billy about?
3. What play do the English prisoners put on to welcome the Americans?
4. What does the Marine major tell Billy at the Lion's Club?
5. What name does Roland Weary give to the group of lost soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author keep reminding the reader that Edgar Derby will die in Dresden?
2. How does Billy's wife, Valencia, die?
3. What did Billy Pilgrim ultimately learn from the Tralfamadorans?
4. Why was the Polish Farm laborer hung in Dresden?
5. When does Billy Pilgrim first experience being unstuck in time?
6. What finally happened to Edgar Derby?
7. Why were Roland Weary's feet so bloody?
8. Why is it unusual for Kurt Vonnegut to appear in this book as a character?
9. How did Tobruk's death change the procedure for recovering corpses?
10. What did Paul Lazzaro do to the dog that bit him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Slaughterhouse-Five with another novel or book describing events from World War II. Pick one of the following topics as a focus in your essay:
a) Realism about the war.
c) How personal experiences affect writing.
d) The author's attitude toward war.
Essay Topic 2
What would you say was Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s purpose in writing this novel? What is the main message of the story? Support your conclusion with quotes or examples from the novel, or interviews with the author.
Essay Topic 3
The Tralfamadorans have a very different view of time than we do. Write an essay that speculates on how humans will view time in 500 years. Will we still look at it the same way?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)