|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts Billy's attempt at napping?
2. This took place in:
3. Why does one of the Germans beat up an American prisoner of war?
4. What happens when Billy tries to sleep in the railroad car?
5. What does the Marine major tell Billy at the Lion's Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were there so many girls at the slaughterhouse?
2. What is remarkable about Billy while he sleeps in the back of the coffin-shaped wagon in Dresden?
3. How did the English prisoners of war view the Americans?
4. Why do the Germans need to record the names of the prisoners?
5. What does Montana Wildhack wear around her neck?
6. What do the guards realize after they take the American prisoners back to the slaughterhouse?
7. How do the Tralfamadorans answer Billy's question about being kidnapped?
8. Name some of the places in time that Billy travels to in this chapter.
9. What does the story of Sodom and Gomorrah have to do with Vonnegut's book about Dresden?
10. How does he explain the symbolism of his armband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Slaughterhouse-Five with another novel or book describing events from World War II. Pick one of the following topics as a focus in your essay:
a) Realism about the war.
c) How personal experiences affect writing.
d) The author's attitude toward war.
Essay Topic 2
Write a personal essay, explaining your view of death and/or the afterlife. Describe the basis of your views. Did they come from your family, your religion, popular culture, or from a specific source?
Essay Topic 3
The Tralfamadorans have a very different view of time than we do. Write an essay that speculates on how humans will view time in 500 years. Will we still look at it the same way?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)