|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary O'Hare get angry at Kurt Vonnegut?
2. What does the Tralfamadoran compare a moment in time to?
3. What do the Tralfamadorans say when a person dies?
4. Kurt Vonnegut tells Mary O'Hare that he is going to call his book:
5. What name does Roland Weary give to the group of lost soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Germans need to record the names of the prisoners?
2. Why is Billy afraid to drop down from the railroad car?
3. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
4. Why do the Tralfamadorans not believe in free will?
5. How do the Tralfamadorans answer Billy's question about being kidnapped?
6. Why is it unusual for Kurt Vonnegut to appear in this book as a character?
7. Why does Kurt Vonnegut use real information from his life in this book?
8. Why does Billy keep a framed copy of the Serenity Prayer in his office?
9. What did Kurt Vonnegut learn about the bombing of Dresden when he wrote to the Air Force for details?
10. According to the aliens in Kilgore Trout's book, what is the flaw in the story of Christ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the life of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., particularly his experiences during World War II. Write an essay describing how his experiences may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
The Tralfamadorans have a very different view of time than we do. Write an essay that speculates on how humans will view time in 500 years. Will we still look at it the same way?
Essay Topic 3
Read a memoir written by someone who lived through World War II, either as a combatant or as a civilian living in Europe. Write a report on the book, highlighting the part that deals with the experience of living through wartime.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)