|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy's doctor advise him to do every day?
2. Why are the American prisoners given showers?
3. Why does Mary O'Hare get angry at Kurt Vonnegut?
4. Where in the city are the prisoners of war kept during the bombing?
5. What was Edgar Derby's job before he joined the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the story of Sodom and Gomorrah have to do with Vonnegut's book about Dresden?
2. Where does Billy time travel to when the spaceship hits a time warp?
3. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
4. Why does the author keep reminding the reader that Edgar Derby will die in Dresden?
5. What does Billy extrapolate happening after the end of the war movie he is watching on the night before his daughter's wedding?
6. What was the Children's Crusade?
7. Why were the British officers in this particular camp?
8. What is unusual about the way Tralfamadorans view time?
9. Why do the Tralfamadorans not believe in free will?
10. When does Billy Pilgrim first experience being unstuck in time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read a memoir written by someone who lived through World War II, either as a combatant or as a civilian living in Europe. Write a report on the book, highlighting the part that deals with the experience of living through wartime.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay addressing the use of humor in Slaughterhouse-Five. How does the author use humor in the book? Use examples from the text to illustrate your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Write an analysis of one of the major characters in Slaughterhouse-Five. Track their actions through the book and comment on their purpose in furthering the plot or theme of the book.
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)