|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does Billy travel in the railroad cars before arriving at the camp?
2. What job did Vonnegut have when he was in college?
3. What does the Tralfamadoran compare a moment in time to?
4. How long had the British soldiers been prisoners of war?
5. What was Mackay's opinion about the Children's Crusade?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy describe the Tralfamadorans?
2. Why were the British officers in this particular camp?
3. What does Billy extrapolate happening after the end of the war movie he is watching on the night before his daughter's wedding?
4. Why do the soliders not want Billy to sleep near them?
5. What was the Children's Crusade?
6. Name some of the places in time that Billy travels to in this chapter.
7. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
8. Why does the author keep reminding the reader that Edgar Derby will die in Dresden?
9. Where were the American prisoners of war kept as they were captured?
10. What parts of Ilium remind Billy of the ruined towns in World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Slaughterhouse-Five an historical fiction or a science fiction? Write an essay defining each genre and answering this question. Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut makes frequent allusions to religious or biblical references in Slaughterhouse-Five. Write an essay that highlights his use of religious and spiritual concepts.
Essay Topic 3
Write an analysis of one of the major characters in Slaughterhouse-Five. Track their actions through the book and comment on their purpose in furthering the plot or theme of the book.
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)