|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does Billy travel in the railroad cars before arriving at the camp?
2. What does Billy do the night before his daughter's wedding?
3. What does Vonnegut tell his sons about massacres?
4. What are the Tralfamadorans?
5. How did Vonnegut once write an outline for a book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
2. What did Kurt Vonnegut learn about the bombing of Dresden when he wrote to the Air Force for details?
3. Why do the Tralfamadorans not believe in free will?
4. What does Billy extrapolate happening after the end of the war movie he is watching on the night before his daughter's wedding?
5. Why does the author keep reminding the reader that Edgar Derby will die in Dresden?
6. Why does Kurt Vonnegut use real information from his life in this book?
7. How do the Tralfamadorans answer Billy's question about being kidnapped?
8. Why did Roland Weary start to beat and kick Billy?
9. What was the Children's Crusade?
10. Why were the British officers in this particular camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining one of more of the symbols in this novel. Choose the symbol you want to comment on from the list below, or come up with your own.
a) Billy's outfit (silver boots, blue toga, fur muff)
b) Landscapes (the Grand Canyon, the Rocky Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns)
c) Death symbols (the coffin-shaped wagon)
d) The souvenirs kept by the Americans after the war.
Essay Topic 2
How does Vonnegut's version of World War II differ from the usual view that we get of the war? Why does he write about this version? Write an essay that analyzes Vonnegut's attitude toward World War II as shown in Slaughterhouse-Five.
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut makes frequent allusions to religious or biblical references in Slaughterhouse-Five. Write an essay that highlights his use of religious and spiritual concepts.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)