|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Roland Weary give to the group of lost soldiers?
2. What does Billy dream about in the hospital?
3. What job did Vonnegut have when he was in college?
4. What do stars look like to Tralfamadorans?
5. Why do the Germans laugh at Billy's coat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where were the American prisoners of war kept as they were captured?
2. What happened to the army scouts who left Billy and Roland behind?
3. Why does Kurt Vonnegut use real information from his life in this book?
4. Why did Roland Weary start to beat and kick Billy?
5. What does the story of Sodom and Gomorrah have to do with Vonnegut's book about Dresden?
6. What does Billy extrapolate happening after the end of the war movie he is watching on the night before his daughter's wedding?
7. Describe the structure of a Tralfamadoran novel.
8. According to the aliens in Kilgore Trout's book, what is the flaw in the story of Christ?
9. What was the Children's Crusade?
10. Why is it unusual for Kurt Vonnegut to appear in this book as a character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Tralfamadorans have a very different view of time than we do. Write an essay that speculates on how humans will view time in 500 years. Will we still look at it the same way?
Essay Topic 2
How does luck figure into Billy's Pilgrim's life? Is he a lucky person or an unlucky person? Use examples from the novel to argue your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Vonnegut's story structure with conventional novels. How does his free associative writing affect the story that he is telling?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)