|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Roland Weary give to the group of lost soldiers?
2. What are the Tralfamadorans?
3. Why does Vonnegut stop at the Hudson River on the way to see his friend Bernard O'Hare?
4. What do the Tralfamadorans do with Billy?
5. What play do the English prisoners put on to welcome the Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the army scouts who left Billy and Roland behind?
2. Why were the British officers in this particular camp?
3. Why do the Tralfamadorans not believe in free will?
4. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
5. Name some of the places in time that Billy travels to in this chapter.
6. Why were Roland Weary's feet so bloody?
7. What does it mean that Billy Pilgrim is "unstuck in time?"
8. Why does Kurt Vonnegut use real information from his life in this book?
9. Where were the American prisoners of war kept as they were captured?
10. What does the story of Sodom and Gomorrah have to do with Vonnegut's book about Dresden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Howard J. Campbell appears in another novel by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr, called Mother Night. Compare the character as depicted in that novel with the Howard J. Campbell that appears in Slaughterhouse-Five.
Essay Topic 2
Write an analysis of one of the major characters in Slaughterhouse-Five. Track their actions through the book and comment on their purpose in furthering the plot or theme of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Vonnegut's story structure with conventional novels. How does his free associative writing affect the story that he is telling?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)