|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy do after he leaves the hospital?
2. What complaint is Billy's doctor trying to relieve?
3. Why are the American prisoners given showers?
4. Why does Mary O'Hare get angry at Kurt Vonnegut?
5. What was the prized possession of the Commander who captured Billy and Roland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Tralfamadorans answer Billy's question about being kidnapped?
2. What does Howard J. Campbell wear?
3. What story does Billy Pilgrim tell Montana when she begs him for one?
4. What do the guards realize after they take the American prisoners back to the slaughterhouse?
5. What does Montana Wildhack wear around her neck?
6. What finally happened to Edgar Derby?
7. According to the aliens in Kilgore Trout's book, what is the flaw in the story of Christ?
8. Why were there so many girls at the slaughterhouse?
9. What parts of Ilium remind Billy of the ruined towns in World War II?
10. How does he explain the symbolism of his armband?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing the treatment of the prisoners of war by the Germans to the way prisoners of war are treated today. Use one of the following questions (or your own ideas) to form your thesis:
1) Are prisoners of war treated better or worse now than during World War II?
2) Are the Geneva Conventions still relevant?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Slaughterhouse-Five with another novel or book describing events from World War II. Pick one of the following topics as a focus in your essay:
a) Realism about the war.
c) How personal experiences affect writing.
d) The author's attitude toward war.
Essay Topic 3
Research the life of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., particularly his experiences during World War II. Write an essay describing how his experiences may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)