|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the German soldiers throw Billy into a shrubbery?
2. What does Billy do after he leaves the hospital?
3. What does Billy's doctor advise him to do every day?
4. What does one of the German soldiers do to Roland Weary?
5. By the time they reach Luxembourg, Roland Weary is reduced to wearing. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the British officers in this particular camp?
2. Why do the soliders not want Billy to sleep near them?
3. Why do the Germans need to record the names of the prisoners?
4. What parts of Ilium remind Billy of the ruined towns in World War II?
5. Why does the author keep reminding the reader that Edgar Derby will die in Dresden?
6. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
7. Why were Roland Weary's feet so bloody?
8. What does Billy extrapolate happening after the end of the war movie he is watching on the night before his daughter's wedding?
9. What happened to the army scouts who left Billy and Roland behind?
10. Why did Roland Weary start to beat and kick Billy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read a memoir written by someone who lived through World War II, either as a combatant or as a civilian living in Europe. Write a report on the book, highlighting the part that deals with the experience of living through wartime.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Vonnegut's story structure with conventional novels. How does his free associative writing affect the story that he is telling?
Essay Topic 3
Research the life of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., particularly his experiences during World War II. Write an essay describing how his experiences may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)