|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Roland Weary blame for his death?
2. What does Vonnegut tell his sons about massacres?
3. How long does Billy stay locked in a railroad boxcar before it starts moving?
4. Vonnegut dedicates the book to Mary O'Hare and Gerhard Müller. Who is Gerhard Müller?
5. What does Billy do when he gets drunk at the party in 1961?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vonnegut say this book will be "jumbled and jangled?"
2. What happened to the army scouts who left Billy and Roland behind?
3. Why were Roland Weary's feet so bloody?
4. Why do the Germans need to record the names of the prisoners?
5. When does Billy Pilgrim first experience being unstuck in time?
6. Why is it unusual for Kurt Vonnegut to appear in this book as a character?
7. How does Billy describe the Tralfamadorans?
8. What did Kurt Vonnegut learn about the bombing of Dresden when he wrote to the Air Force for details?
9. Why did Roland Weary start to beat and kick Billy?
10. How do the Tralfamadorans answer Billy's question about being kidnapped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut makes frequent allusions to religious or biblical references in Slaughterhouse-Five. Write an essay that highlights his use of religious and spiritual concepts.
Essay Topic 2
Research the life of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., particularly his experiences during World War II. Write an essay describing how his experiences may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Read a memoir written by someone who lived through World War II, either as a combatant or as a civilian living in Europe. Write a report on the book, highlighting the part that deals with the experience of living through wartime.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)