|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the prisoners of war taken back to Dresden after the bombing?
(a) To look for survivors of the fires
(b) There is no other place to put them
(c) To dig for bodies in the rubble
(d) To salvage weapons from the buildings
2. What distracts Billy from Campbell's talk?
(a) Edgar Derby
3. Who was Paul Lazzaro's one friend in the war?
(a) Roland Weary
(b) Billy Pilgrim
(c) Bernard O'Hare
(d) Edgar Derby
4. What did the Polish song remind Billy about?
(a) Seeing a Polish farm laborer hung in Dresden
(b) The accent of the Polish prisoners of war
(c) A vacation he took once to Poland
(d) How much he misses being with his wife
5. Who does Barbara Pilgrim say she would like to kill?
(a) Howard J. Campbell
(b) Eliot Rosewater
(c) Edgar Derby
(d) Kilgore Trout
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut compare Dresden to after it has been bombed?
2. Which of these was not the subject of a book by Kilgore Trout?
3. What do the American prisoners find at the railroad station?
4. Why does Bertram Rumfoord not want to hear Billy talk about Dresden?
5. Who was in the camp hospital with Billy when he woke up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the English prisoners of war view the Americans?
2. What does the phrase "so it goes" mean?
3. What finally happened to Edgar Derby?
4. Why does Billy become confused when the skiers arrive to rescue him after the plane crash?
5. What is remarkable about Billy while he sleeps in the back of the coffin-shaped wagon in Dresden?
6. Why do people think Billy is brain damaged after his surgery?
7. Why, according to the author, is Edgar Derby's speech so remarkable during war?
8. What do the guards realize after they take the American prisoners back to the slaughterhouse?
9. How did Tobruk's death change the procedure for recovering corpses?
10. What is the meaning of the last line of the novel?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)