|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the diamond in Valencia's engagement ring come from?
(a) Billy found it in Dresden
(b) Her father gave it to Billy
(c) It was an heirloom in Billy's family
(d) The coat Billy wore in the POW camp
2. According to this book, by the late nineteen seventies, the United States of America has been. . .
(a) divided into 20 smaller countries.
(b) conquered by the Chinese.
(c) turned into a huge shopping mall.
(d) declared the last super power.
3. Who was Paul Lazzaro's one friend in the war?
(a) Bernard O'Hare
(b) Roland Weary
(c) Billy Pilgrim
(d) Edgar Derby
4. What do the American prisoners find at the railroad station?
(a) Several people from the nearby town
(b) The American army advancing
(c) The hobo's body in the weeds
(d) More prisoners coming into camp
5. Why are the prisoners of war taken back to Dresden after the bombing?
(a) To salvage weapons from the buildings
(b) To look for survivors of the fires
(c) There is no other place to put them
(d) To dig for bodies in the rubble
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy do when Rumfoord tells him that Dresden did need to be bombed?
2. What work does Billy do as a prisoner of war?
3. According to Bernard O'Hare's notebook, by 2000, the human population of the world will be. . .
4. Which of these was not the subject of a book by Kilgore Trout?
5. Who used to live in the room where Billy stays?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edgar react when Billy feeds him?
2. What does Bernard's article about human population reveal about life?
3. What did Billy Pilgrim ultimately learn from the Tralfamadorans?
4. What does the phrase "so it goes" mean?
5. Why does Billy travel to New York?
6. Why is Dresden so dark at night?
7. Why, according to the author, is Edgar Derby's speech so remarkable during war?
8. How does he explain the symbolism of his armband?
9. What is the meaning of the last line of the novel?
10. How does Billy's wife, Valencia, die?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)