|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which person dies on the railroad trip in Germany?
(a) Bernard O'Hare
(b) The hobo
(c) Paul Lazzaro
(d) Edgar Derby
2. How does Roland Weary die?
(a) Killed by a German guard
(b) Killed by the other prisoners
(c) By shooting himself in the head
(d) From gangrene in his feet
3. Vonnegut notes that more people were killed in Dresden than. . .
(a) have died from cancer in the last two years.
(b) during the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima.
(c) have ever died in automobile accidents.
(d) than died in the Concentration Camps.
4. What was Edgar Derby's job before he joined the army?
(a) He was an advertising executive.
(b) He drove a forklift in a warehouse.
(c) He was a high school teacher.
(d) He worked in a toothpaste factory.
5. What job did Vonnegut have when he was in college?
(a) He worked as a police reporter.
(b) He was a chaplain's assistant.
(c) He was a factory worker.
(d) Working in a restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does the Frenchman ask about the Grand Canyon?
2. What was Mackay's opinion about the Children's Crusade?
3. What was it about the Grand Canyon that scared Billy?
4. What is the only book Billy can read on the trip to Tralfamadore?
5. Where does Billy find himself the morning after he becomes drunk at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Children's Crusade?
2. Why do the soliders not want Billy to sleep near them?
3. Where were the American prisoners of war kept as they were captured?
4. Why were Roland Weary's feet so bloody?
5. How did Billy finally get some sleep?
6. Why is Billy afraid to drop down from the railroad car?
7. Why does the author keep reminding the reader that Edgar Derby will die in Dresden?
8. Why does Vonnegut say this book will be "jumbled and jangled?"
9. Why do the Tralfamadorans not believe in free will?
10. What parts of Ilium remind Billy of the ruined towns in World War II?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)