|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which college did Vonnegut attend?
(a) The University of Chicago
(b) Stanford University
(c) Cornell University
(d) The University of Dresden
2. Which person dies on the railroad trip in Germany?
(a) The hobo
(b) Edgar Derby
(c) Bernard O'Hare
(d) Paul Lazzaro
3. Who is Barbara Pilgrim?
(a) Billy's mother, who is in a nursing home.
(b) Billy's second wife, who left him for another man.
(c) Billy's daughter, who also married an optometrist.
(d) Billy's first wife, who died in a car accident.
4. What play do the English prisoners put on to welcome the Americans?
(d) The Glass Menagerie
5. How do the Tralfamadorans view time?
(a) Like a river that flows in one direction only.
(b) As permanent fixtures, like the Rocky Mountains.
(c) As a gift that should be treasured like gold.
(d) It's a nuisance; time goes too slowly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does one of the Germans beat up an American prisoner of war?
2. What is Billy's position in the war?
3. What is unique about the coat Billy Pilgrim gets from the Germans?
4. How does Roland Weary die?
5. Where does Billy time travel to while in the showers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the structure of a Tralfamadoran novel.
2. Why do the Germans need to record the names of the prisoners?
3. Why is it unusual for Kurt Vonnegut to appear in this book as a character?
4. Where were the American prisoners of war kept as they were captured?
5. What does the story of Sodom and Gomorrah have to do with Vonnegut's book about Dresden?
6. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
7. Why did Roland Weary start to beat and kick Billy?
8. What did Kurt Vonnegut learn about the bombing of Dresden when he wrote to the Air Force for details?
9. What does Billy extrapolate happening after the end of the war movie he is watching on the night before his daughter's wedding?
10. Why does Kurt Vonnegut use real information from his life in this book?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)