|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does one of the Germans beat up an American prisoner of war?
(a) He was trying to escape from the POW camp.
(b) He was mimicking one of the other guards.
(c) He was making fun of Billy Pilgrim.
(d) He said something that the German did not like.
2. Which college did Vonnegut attend?
(a) Cornell University
(b) Stanford University
(c) The University of Chicago
(d) The University of Dresden
3. How long does Billy stay locked in a railroad boxcar before it starts moving?
(a) One day
(b) Ten hours
(c) Two days
(d) Five days
4. What does Billy's doctor advise him to do every day?
(a) Take a nap
(b) Take a long walk
(c) Take anti-depressants
5. What was Edgar Derby's job before he joined the army?
(a) He was a high school teacher.
(b) He worked in a toothpaste factory.
(c) He was an advertising executive.
(d) He drove a forklift in a warehouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Billy ask the Tralfamadorans?
2. Where is Billy when he wakes up from his dream?
3. What, according to the Tralfamadoran, is a concept that only appears on Earth?
4. This took place in:
5. What does Billy see in the Carlsbad Caverns when the lights are switched off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the story of Sodom and Gomorrah have to do with Vonnegut's book about Dresden?
2. What happened to the army scouts who left Billy and Roland behind?
3. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
4. Why did Roland Weary start to beat and kick Billy?
5. Why is it unusual for Kurt Vonnegut to appear in this book as a character?
6. What is unusual about the way Tralfamadorans view time?
7. What parts of Ilium remind Billy of the ruined towns in World War II?
8. What did Kurt Vonnegut learn about the bombing of Dresden when he wrote to the Air Force for details?
9. How do the Tralfamadorans answer Billy's question about being kidnapped?
10. Describe the structure of a Tralfamadoran novel.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)