|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy dream about in the hospital?
(a) Swimming in the Hudson River
(b) Flying over the battlefield
(c) That he is a giraffe
(d) Marching next to Roland Weary
2. What interrupts Billy's attempt at napping?
(a) A man comes selling magazine subscriptions.
(b) His daughter calls on the telephone.
(c) The Tralfamadorans show up.
(d) The neighbor's dog starts barking.
3. What was the prized possession of the Commander who captured Billy and Roland?
(a) His golden boots
(b) His sheepskin jacket
(c) His pocket watch
(d) His ancient rifle
4. Who rescues Billy from being beaten by Roland Weary?
(a) The Tralfamadorans
(b) American Army Scouts
(c) Bernard O'Hare
(d) A patrol of German soldiers
5. Where in the city are the prisoners of war kept during the bombing?
(a) In an empty school
(b) In a deserted zoo
(c) In a slaughterhouse
(d) In a baby food factory
Short Answer Questions
1. Kurt Vonnegut tells Mary O'Hare that he is going to call his book:
2. Who is "Princess?"
3. What does the author compare the march of American prisoners to?
4. What is the first thing both the Germans and the Tralfamadorans have Billy do?
5. Why is Billy taken to the hospital during the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edgar react when Billy feeds him?
2. Why does Billy become confused when the skiers arrive to rescue him after the plane crash?
3. What do the guards realize after they take the American prisoners back to the slaughterhouse?
4. Why does Vonnegut say this book will be "jumbled and jangled?"
5. What does Billy extrapolate happening after the end of the war movie he is watching on the night before his daughter's wedding?
6. Why did Roland Weary start to beat and kick Billy?
7. How did Tobruk's death change the procedure for recovering corpses?
8. Why does Kurt Vonnegut use real information from his life in this book?
9. Why do the Germans need to record the names of the prisoners?
10. Why do the soliders not want Billy to sleep near them?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)