|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the hobo in Billy's railroad boxcar tell him?
(a) That he knows him from somewhere.
(b) That he has been in worse situations than this.
(c) That he's been hungry for weeks.
(d) The secrets of Trafalmadore.
2. What, according to Vonnegut, will be the end of this book?
(a) And that's the end.
(b) Nothing would ever be the same.
(d) So it goes.
3. What happens when Billy tries to sleep in the railroad car?
(a) The railroad car starts moving too fast to sleep.
(b) The other soldiers tell him to go lie down someplace else.
(c) Someone in the darkness starts screaming loudly.
(d) The guards start searching through the railroad car.
4. Which college did Vonnegut attend?
(a) Stanford University
(b) Cornell University
(c) The University of Chicago
(d) The University of Dresden
5. One of Kurt Vonnegut's war buddies was killed for. . .
(a) taking a teapot.
(b) stealing food.
(c) attacking a guard.
(d) breaking an egg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonnegut tell his sons about massacres?
2. What are the Tralfamadorans?
3. What question does Billy ask the Tralfamadorans?
4. What does Barbara think is wrong with Billy when she finds him in his cold house?
5. Where does Billy time travel to while in the showers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the way Tralfamadorans view time?
2. Why does the author keep reminding the reader that Edgar Derby will die in Dresden?
3. Why were the British officers in this particular camp?
4. Why does Vonnegut say this book will be "jumbled and jangled?"
5. What was the Children's Crusade?
6. Why do the soliders not want Billy to sleep near them?
7. What did Kurt Vonnegut learn about the bombing of Dresden when he wrote to the Air Force for details?
8. Why does Billy keep a framed copy of the Serenity Prayer in his office?
9. Where were the American prisoners of war kept as they were captured?
10. What parts of Ilium remind Billy of the ruined towns in World War II?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)