|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vonnegut study in college?
(b) Creative Writing
(c) Political science
2. Why do the Germans take pictures of Roland and Billy?
(a) For official records
(b) They are making postcards
(c) They like the Americans
(d) For propaganda purposes
3. What question does Billy ask the Tralfamadorans?
(a) How his life will end.
(b) Where they are and how they got there.
(c) What life on Trafalmadore is like.
(d) Where his mother is.
4. Why did the German soldiers throw Billy into a shrubbery?
(a) So they could take a picture of his
(b) They wanted him to help with the gardening.
(c) They were angry at him for smiling so much.
(d) They wanted to play hide and seek with him.
5. What does Billy do when he gets drunk at the party in 1961?
(a) He cheats on his wife.
(b) He passes out on the living room rug.
(c) He calls up old girlfriends.
(d) He yells at his best friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Billy time travel to while in the showers?
2. What interrupts Billy's attempt at napping?
3. Where does Billy time travel to after the Carlbad Caverns?
4. What is unusual about Billy Pilgrim?
5. Who is Barbara Pilgrim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean that Billy Pilgrim is "unstuck in time?"
2. Where were the American prisoners of war kept as they were captured?
3. Why does the author keep reminding the reader that Edgar Derby will die in Dresden?
4. Why do the Germans need to record the names of the prisoners?
5. When does Billy Pilgrim first experience being unstuck in time?
6. Where does Billy wake up after falling asleep with the other prisoners in the stone cottage?
7. Why is Billy afraid to drop down from the railroad car?
8. What does the story of Sodom and Gomorrah have to do with Vonnegut's book about Dresden?
9. What did Kurt Vonnegut learn about the bombing of Dresden when he wrote to the Air Force for details?
10. Why does Billy keep a framed copy of the Serenity Prayer in his office?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)