|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Billy kidnapped by the Tralfamadorans?
(a) After dinner in 1957
(b) On a night in 1967
(c) One morning in 1945
(d) During the march in 1944
2. Why does Vonnegut stop at the Hudson River on the way to see his friend Bernard O'Hare?
(a) He wants to see if he can catch a trout.
(b) They want to go swimming in the water.
(c) It reminds him of the Danube River.
(d) His daughter had never seen a river before.
3. What is unique about the coat Billy Pilgrim gets from the Germans?
(a) It was made to be worn by a woman.
(b) It is the only one made from blue fabric.
(c) It has silver buttons on the collar and cuffs.
(d) It's the only coat from a civilian.
4. Why does Billy get a furlough during basic training?
(a) He becomes ill with appendicitis.
(b) His mother suffers a relapse in the hospital.
(c) He asks to visit his wife before going overseas.
(d) His father dies in a hunting accident.
5. Why does one of the Germans beat up an American prisoner of war?
(a) He said something that the German did not like.
(b) He was making fun of Billy Pilgrim.
(c) He was trying to escape from the POW camp.
(d) He was mimicking one of the other guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does his father notice about Vonnegut's books?
2. What, according to the Tralfamadoran, is a concept that only appears on Earth?
3. What does Vonnegut tell his sons about massacres?
4. What does the author compare the march of American prisoners to?
5. Vonnegut dedicates the book to Mary O'Hare and Gerhard Müller. Who is Gerhard Müller?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kurt Vonnegut use real information from his life in this book?
2. Why does Billy keep a framed copy of the Serenity Prayer in his office?
3. Why is it unusual for Kurt Vonnegut to appear in this book as a character?
4. What does it mean that Billy Pilgrim is "unstuck in time?"
5. What parts of Ilium remind Billy of the ruined towns in World War II?
6. Describe the structure of a Tralfamadoran novel.
7. What does Billy extrapolate happening after the end of the war movie he is watching on the night before his daughter's wedding?
8. Name some of the places in time that Billy travels to in this chapter.
9. How did Billy finally get some sleep?
10. What happened to the army scouts who left Billy and Roland behind?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)