|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Dresden located when Vonnegut goes to visit it?
(b) East Germany
(c) West Germany
2. Who is Howard J. Campbell?
(a) One of the American generals
(b) An American who joined the Nazi Party
(c) One of the prisoners of war
(d) The owner of the factory Billy works in
3. Why was Trout so surprised to meet Billy?
(a) He had heard about Billy from friends.
(b) He had never met an optometrist before.
(c) He had never met a fan before.
(d) He learned that he needed glasses.
4. What does Billy do after getting to the hospital after the plane crash?
(a) He has brain surgery and dreams for two solid days.
(b) He tells the nurses that he has been kidnapped by aliens.
(c) He asks for a telephone and calls his wife.
(d) He asks about his friends in the POW camp.
5. What crime does Billy commit while he is working?
(a) He steals jewels and puts them in his pocket.
(b) He falls asleep while he is supposed to work.
(c) He kills a guard who tries to steal from him.
(d) He eats syrup meant for pregnant women.
6. Who was not permitted to enter Dresden after the bombing?
(a) Russian soldiers
(b) German soldiers
(c) American prisoners of war
(d) German citizens
7. What time of year is it when the war ends?
(d) Late Fall
8. Who died a month earlier than that?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Montana Wildhack
(c) Robert Kennedy
(d) Fifty-eight soldiers in Vietnam
9. Why are the prisoners of war taken back to Dresden after the bombing?
(a) To look for survivors of the fires
(b) There is no other place to put them
(c) To salvage weapons from the buildings
(d) To dig for bodies in the rubble
10. What do they find in the ruins of a building?
(a) One small child who survived the fires
(b) The body of a priest clutching a rosary
(c) An American prisoner who had been missing
(d) Dozens of unmarked corpses
11. What response does Campbell get from most of the prisoners?
(d) No response
12. Who used to live in the room where Billy stays?
(a) Dorothy Parker
(b) Alexander Woolcott
(c) George Jean Nathan
(d) Truman Capote
13. Who finds Billy after the airplane crash?
(a) A ranger from a nearby station
(b) A boyscout troop hiking in the woods
(c) Two Austrian ski instructors
(d) The barbershop quartet
14. Where did the diamond in Valencia's engagement ring come from?
(a) Billy found it in Dresden
(b) It was an heirloom in Billy's family
(c) Her father gave it to Billy
(d) The coat Billy wore in the POW camp
15. Why does Bertram Rumfoord not want to hear Billy talk about Dresden?
(a) He is worried that Lily is secretly attracted to Billy.
(b) He does not want to have to deal with facts about the bombing.
(c) He does not believe that Billy was really there.
(d) He does not need any more research about the event.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the English prisoners give their latrine to the Americans?
2. What distracts Billy from Campbell's talk?
3. Why did the Germans who survived the bombing flee from Dresden?
4. Where do the American prisoners sleep that night?
5. What do Billy, Werner, and Edgar find instead of a kitchen?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)