|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which person dies on the railroad trip in Germany?
(a) The hobo
(b) Edgar Derby
(c) Paul Lazzaro
(d) Bernard O'Hare
2. What does Billy do when he gets drunk at the party in 1961?
(a) He calls up old girlfriends.
(b) He passes out on the living room rug.
(c) He cheats on his wife.
(d) He yells at his best friend.
3. What do humans look like to the Tralfamadorans?
(a) Pale worms
4. Vonnegut dedicates the book to Mary O'Hare and Gerhard Müller. Who is Gerhard Müller?
(a) The author of a book on massacres
(b) A taxi-driver in Dresde
(c) A guard in the prison camp
(d) A policeman in Chicago
5. What did the German soldiers find on Billy when they searched him?
(a) A picture of his girlfriend
(b) A two-inch pencil stub
(c) His rifle and bayonet
(d) The letter from his mother
6. What does his father notice about Vonnegut's books?
(a) None of them have villains.
(b) They are all about the war.
(c) None of them have been published.
(d) Vonnegut has burned every one of them.
7. Where did the soldiers take Billy and Roland?
(a) To the mayor's house in the nearest village
(b) To a local brewery where they were fed sausages
(c) To a stone cottage filled with other prisoners
(d) To the town jail where they were able to wash up
8. What are the subjects of Roland Weary's most treasured picture?
(a) His car and his rifle
(b) His mother and his sister
(c) His best friends back in the United States
(d) A naked woman and a Shetland pony
9. What complaint is Billy's doctor trying to relieve?
(a) Billy has no appetite and has lost too much weight.
(b) Billy finds himself weeping for no reason.
(c) It takes Billy hours to fall asleep at night.
(d) Billy is unable to focus on his work.
10. What do the Tralfamadorans say when a person dies?
(a) So it goes.
(c) That's a pity.
(d) No one really dies.
11. What play do the British officers perform for the Americans?
(a) Sleeping Beauty
(b) The Trojan War
12. What does one of the German soldiers do to Roland Weary?
(a) Mocks his accent
(b) Beats him with a rifle
(c) Takes away his uniform
(d) Spits on his shoulder
13. Where does Billy time travel to while in the showers?
(a) He recalls nearly drowning in the swimming pool.
(b) He goes back to the night when he was kidnapped.
(c) He becomes an infant being washed by his mother.
(d) He returns to the Lion's Club dinner in 1957.
14. What does Billy dream about in the hospital?
(a) Swimming in the Hudson River
(b) Marching next to Roland Weary
(c) That he is a giraffe
(d) Flying over the battlefield
15. Why do the Germans laugh at Billy's coat?
(a) He is wearing it backwards
(b) It is made out of blue silk
(c) It has lace trim on the cuffs
(d) It is much too small for him
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Billy taken to the hospital during the play?
2. What did Vonnegut study in college?
3. What happens when Billy tries to sleep in the railroad car?
4. Kurt Vonnegut tells Mary O'Hare that he is going to call his book:
5. What, according to the Tralfamadoran, is a concept that only appears on Earth?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)