|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the time they reach Luxembourg, Roland Weary is reduced to wearing. . .
(a) handcuffs on his wrists.
(b) a blanket instead of a coat.
(c) his hair in a ponytail.
(d) clogs instead of boots.
2. What was Edgar Derby's job before he joined the army?
(a) He was an advertising executive.
(b) He drove a forklift in a warehouse.
(c) He was a high school teacher.
(d) He worked in a toothpaste factory.
3. Which person dies on the railroad trip in Germany?
(a) The hobo
(b) Paul Lazzaro
(c) Bernard O'Hare
(d) Edgar Derby
4. Where does Billy time travel to while in the showers?
(a) He becomes an infant being washed by his mother.
(b) He returns to the Lion's Club dinner in 1957.
(c) He recalls nearly drowning in the swimming pool.
(d) He goes back to the night when he was kidnapped.
5. What does his father notice about Vonnegut's books?
(a) None of them have villains.
(b) Vonnegut has burned every one of them.
(c) They are all about the war.
(d) None of them have been published.
6. What type of book does Vonnegut tell his friend he is writing?
(a) An epic
(b) An anti-war book
(c) A memoir
(d) An anti-glacier book
7. What interrupts Billy's attempt at napping?
(a) His daughter calls on the telephone.
(b) The Tralfamadorans show up.
(c) The neighbor's dog starts barking.
(d) A man comes selling magazine subscriptions.
8. Which college did Vonnegut attend?
(a) Cornell University
(b) The University of Chicago
(c) The University of Dresden
(d) Stanford University
9. Why did the German soldiers throw Billy into a shrubbery?
(a) They wanted him to help with the gardening.
(b) They wanted to play hide and seek with him.
(c) So they could take a picture of his
(d) They were angry at him for smiling so much.
10. Where does Billy find himself the morning after he becomes drunk at the party?
(a) In the backseat of his car
(b) On the front lawn of the house
(c) In a prisoner of war camp
(d) On Tralfamadore
11. What was it about the Grand Canyon that scared Billy?
(a) He could not see the end of it.
(b) He thought a rock might fall on his head.
(c) He thought he might fall into it.
(d) It reminded him of the swimming pool.
12. Why are the American prisoners given showers?
(a) To help kill the lice and germs on their bodies
(b) Because the Germans cannot stand their smell
(c) To warm them up after the cold railroad ride
(d) In order to humiliate the American Army
13. What does Billy's doctor advise him to do every day?
(b) Take anti-depressants
(c) Take a nap
(d) Take a long walk
14. Where did the soldiers take Billy and Roland?
(a) To a local brewery where they were fed sausages
(b) To a stone cottage filled with other prisoners
(c) To the town jail where they were able to wash up
(d) To the mayor's house in the nearest village
15. Where is Billy when he wakes up from his dream?
(a) Sitting on his couch, watching a war movie
(b) Waiting for his wife to wake up and get dressed
(c) Back in the Carlsbad Caverns, in the dark
(d) In a mental ward, three years after the war
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy do after he leaves the hospital?
2. How does Billy's son Robert straighten out his life?
3. Vonnegut dedicates the book to Mary O'Hare and Gerhard Müller. Who is Gerhard Müller?
4. Who dies in the railroad boxcars?
5. Who is Wild Bob?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)