|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vonnegut study in college?
(b) Creative Writing
(d) Political science
2. What author does Eliot Rosewater tell Billy about?
(a) Philip K. Dick
(b) Kurt Vonnegut
(c) Kilgore Trout
(d) L. Ron Hubbard
3. One of Kurt Vonnegut's war buddies was killed for. . .
(a) attacking a guard.
(b) stealing food.
(c) taking a teapot.
(d) breaking an egg.
4. What is the only book Billy can read on the trip to Tralfamadore?
(a) How Green Was My Valley
(b) The Dollhouse Murders
(c) The Valley of the Dolls
(d) The Sorrow and the Pity
5. Who rescues Billy from being beaten by Roland Weary?
(a) A patrol of German soldiers
(b) The Tralfamadorans
(c) Bernard O'Hare
(d) American Army Scouts
6. When does Billy make his first public speech?
(a) On the radio in 1968
(b) In the POW camp in 1944
(c) At a Lion's Club dinner in 1957
(d) To his high school class in 1940
7. What does the Tralfamadoran compare a moment in time to?
(a) A sheet of ice
(b) The reflection in a mirror
(c) A flickering flame
(d) A bug trapped in amber
8. What was Mackay's opinion about the Children's Crusade?
(a) It was a terrible betrayal of the families involved.
(b) It was only slightly worse than grown-up crusades.
(c) It was a glorious event that should be celebrated.
(d) It was a bitter waste, but ultimately positive.
9. What does Billy do after he leaves the hospital?
(a) He tells a radio audience that he was kidnapped by aliens.
(b) He leaves his wife for a movie star named Montana Wildhack.
(c) He goes back to Dresden to see what it looks like now.
(d) He writes a book about his war experiences.
10. Why does Billy get a furlough during basic training?
(a) He becomes ill with appendicitis.
(b) He asks to visit his wife before going overseas.
(c) His father dies in a hunting accident.
(d) His mother suffers a relapse in the hospital.
11. Vonnegut notes that more people were killed in Dresden than. . .
(a) have died from cancer in the last two years.
(b) than died in the Concentration Camps.
(c) have ever died in automobile accidents.
(d) during the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima.
12. What is unusual about the war movie Billy watches?
(a) The characters in the movie start talking to Billy.
(b) It stars Roland Weary as the hero of the story.
(c) It plays backwards and then forwards again.
(d) It is about Billy's own experiences in the war.
13. How do the Tralfamadorans view time?
(a) As a gift that should be treasured like gold.
(b) Like a river that flows in one direction only.
(c) As permanent fixtures, like the Rocky Mountains.
(d) It's a nuisance; time goes too slowly.
14. What surprised the British officers most about the American prisoners?
(a) How tired they looked
(b) How nice they were
(c) How young they were
(d) How ill-dressed they were
15. What do stars look like to Tralfamadorans?
(a) Pulsating circles of light
(b) Glowing bouncing balls
(c) Hexagonal specks of light
(d) Strings of luminous spaghetti
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does one of the Germans beat up an American prisoner of war?
2. How long had the British soldiers been prisoners of war?
3. What does his father notice about Vonnegut's books?
4. What does the Marine major tell Billy at the Lion's Club?
5. What complaint is Billy's doctor trying to relieve?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)