|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Tralfamadorans view time?
(a) Like a river that flows in one direction only.
(b) As permanent fixtures, like the Rocky Mountains.
(c) It's a nuisance; time goes too slowly.
(d) As a gift that should be treasured like gold.
2. What do the Tralfamadorans do with Billy?
(a) They put him on display in a zoo.
(b) They ask him about Earth culture.
(c) They perform intelligence tests on him.
(d) They use him to test medicines.
3. What is unusual about the war movie Billy watches?
(a) The characters in the movie start talking to Billy.
(b) It is about Billy's own experiences in the war.
(c) It plays backwards and then forwards again.
(d) It stars Roland Weary as the hero of the story.
4. What was Edgar Derby's job before he joined the army?
(a) He was a high school teacher.
(b) He was an advertising executive.
(c) He drove a forklift in a warehouse.
(d) He worked in a toothpaste factory.
5. Why does Mary O'Hare get angry at Kurt Vonnegut?
(a) He gets her husband drunk in the kitchen.
(b) He refuses to drink the tea she offers.
(c) She thinks he is going to glorify soldiers in war.
(d) He ignores her when she asks questions.
6. What does Billy do the night before his daughter's wedding?
(a) He takes a nap while watching televsision.
(b) He waits for the aliens to kidnap him.
(c) He talks to his old friend Bernard O'Hare.
(d) He calls an old girlfriend on the phone.
7. What complaint is Billy's doctor trying to relieve?
(a) Billy is unable to focus on his work.
(b) Billy finds himself weeping for no reason.
(c) It takes Billy hours to fall asleep at night.
(d) Billy has no appetite and has lost too much weight.
8. When does Billy make his first public speech?
(a) In the POW camp in 1944
(b) At a Lion's Club dinner in 1957
(c) To his high school class in 1940
(d) On the radio in 1968
9. Which person dies on the railroad trip in Germany?
(a) The hobo
(b) Edgar Derby
(c) Paul Lazzaro
(d) Bernard O'Hare
10. How do the Tralfamadorans make Billy climb the ladder?
(a) They shoot a ray at him.
(b) They ask him politely.
(c) They poke him with long sticks.
(d) They threaten him with death.
11. What is the only book Billy can read on the trip to Tralfamadore?
(a) The Valley of the Dolls
(b) The Dollhouse Murders
(c) How Green Was My Valley
(d) The Sorrow and the Pity
12. What interrupts Billy's attempt at napping?
(a) A man comes selling magazine subscriptions.
(b) The Tralfamadorans show up.
(c) The neighbor's dog starts barking.
(d) His daughter calls on the telephone.
13. What question does the Frenchman ask about the Grand Canyon?
(a) If there were any good hotels inside the canyon itself
(b) How many species living in the canyon had gone extinct
(c) If many people commit suicide by jumping into the canyon
(d) If you could go white water rafting on the river
14. What does the hobo in Billy's railroad boxcar tell him?
(a) That he's been hungry for weeks.
(b) That he has been in worse situations than this.
(c) The secrets of Trafalmadore.
(d) That he knows him from somewhere.
15. What does the Marine major tell Billy at the Lion's Club?
(a) Billy should be proud of his son for joining the Green Berets.
(b) Chaplains are silly and unnecessary in the army.
(c) Billy was a great soldier and should be proud of that.
(d) Billy should not have allowed himself to be captured.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Vonnegut, will be the end of this book?
2. How did Vonnegut once write an outline for a book?
3. What are the subjects of Roland Weary's most treasured picture?
4. What play do the English prisoners put on to welcome the Americans?
5. What did the German soldiers find on Billy when they searched him?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)