|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which college did Vonnegut attend?
(a) Stanford University
(b) The University of Dresden
(c) Cornell University
(d) The University of Chicago
2. Where did the soldiers take Billy and Roland?
(a) To a stone cottage filled with other prisoners
(b) To the mayor's house in the nearest village
(c) To the town jail where they were able to wash up
(d) To a local brewery where they were fed sausages
3. One of Kurt Vonnegut's war buddies was killed for. . .
(a) breaking an egg.
(b) taking a teapot.
(c) attacking a guard.
(d) stealing food.
4. Why are the American prisoners given showers?
(a) To warm them up after the cold railroad ride
(b) Because the Germans cannot stand their smell
(c) In order to humiliate the American Army
(d) To help kill the lice and germs on their bodies
5. What is unusual about the war movie Billy watches?
(a) The characters in the movie start talking to Billy.
(b) It stars Roland Weary as the hero of the story.
(c) It plays backwards and then forwards again.
(d) It is about Billy's own experiences in the war.
6. What does Billy see in the Carlsbad Caverns when the lights are switched off?
(a) About a million bats falling out of an opening
(b) Nothing; he is left in total darkness
(c) His father's pocket watch glowing in the dark
(d) The silhouette of the Ranger's hat
7. What interrupts Billy's attempt at napping?
(a) A man comes selling magazine subscriptions.
(b) The neighbor's dog starts barking.
(c) The Tralfamadorans show up.
(d) His daughter calls on the telephone.
8. What complaint is Billy's doctor trying to relieve?
(a) Billy is unable to focus on his work.
(b) It takes Billy hours to fall asleep at night.
(c) Billy finds himself weeping for no reason.
(d) Billy has no appetite and has lost too much weight.
9. What was Edgar Derby's job before he joined the army?
(a) He drove a forklift in a warehouse.
(b) He was a high school teacher.
(c) He worked in a toothpaste factory.
(d) He was an advertising executive.
10. Who dies in the railroad boxcars?
(a) Roland Weary
(b) Bernard O'Hare
(c) Kurt Vonnegut
(d) Wild Bob
11. Who promises to avenge Roland?
(a) Paul Lazzaro
(b) Edgar Derby
(c) The Three Musketeers
(d) Billy Pilgrim
12. Why do the Germans take pictures of Roland and Billy?
(a) For official records
(b) For propaganda purposes
(c) They like the Americans
(d) They are making postcards
13. Why is Billy taken to the hospital during the play?
(a) He faints and they realize he is feverish.
(b) He starts throwing up.
(c) He starts coughing up blood.
(d) He starts laughing and cannot stop.
14. When was Billy kidnapped by the Tralfamadorans?
(a) After dinner in 1957
(b) One morning in 1945
(c) During the march in 1944
(d) On a night in 1967
15. How do the Tralfamadorans view time?
(a) As a gift that should be treasured like gold.
(b) It's a nuisance; time goes too slowly.
(c) As permanent fixtures, like the Rocky Mountains.
(d) Like a river that flows in one direction only.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had the British soldiers been prisoners of war?
2. Where is Billy when he wakes up from his dream?
3. How did Vonnegut once write an outline for a book?
4. Where does Billy find himself the morning after he becomes drunk at the party?
5. When does Billy make his first public speech?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)