|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This took place in:
2. What does the hobo in Billy's railroad boxcar tell him?
(a) That he knows him from somewhere.
(b) The secrets of Trafalmadore.
(c) That he's been hungry for weeks.
(d) That he has been in worse situations than this.
3. Why do the Germans laugh at Billy's coat?
(a) He is wearing it backwards
(b) It is much too small for him
(c) It has lace trim on the cuffs
(d) It is made out of blue silk
4. What play do the English prisoners put on to welcome the Americans?
(c) The Glass Menagerie
5. What was Mackay's opinion about the Children's Crusade?
(a) It was a terrible betrayal of the families involved.
(b) It was a glorious event that should be celebrated.
(c) It was a bitter waste, but ultimately positive.
(d) It was only slightly worse than grown-up crusades.
6. Vonnegut notes that more people were killed in Dresden than. . .
(a) have ever died in automobile accidents.
(b) during the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima.
(c) have died from cancer in the last two years.
(d) than died in the Concentration Camps.
7. How did Billy Pilgrim learn to swim?
(a) He was on a sail boat that capsized during a storm.
(b) He used to go swimming with other boys in a local creek.
(c) His father threw him into the deep end of a swimming pool.
(d) He took lessons from a girl in a blue swimming suit.
8. What happens when Billy tries to sleep in the railroad car?
(a) The other soldiers tell him to go lie down someplace else.
(b) The railroad car starts moving too fast to sleep.
(c) The guards start searching through the railroad car.
(d) Someone in the darkness starts screaming loudly.
9. Vonnegut dedicates the book to Mary O'Hare and Gerhard Müller. Who is Gerhard Müller?
(a) The author of a book on massacres
(b) A taxi-driver in Dresde
(c) A guard in the prison camp
(d) A policeman in Chicago
10. What are the subjects of Roland Weary's most treasured picture?
(a) His mother and his sister
(b) His best friends back in the United States
(c) A naked woman and a Shetland pony
(d) His car and his rifle
11. What happened when Lot's wife looked back on Sodom and Gomorrah?
(a) She turned into a pillar of salt.
(b) She started to sing and dance.
(c) She began to weep uncontrollably.
(d) She suddenly fell down dead.
12. Why did the German soldiers throw Billy into a shrubbery?
(a) They wanted to play hide and seek with him.
(b) They were angry at him for smiling so much.
(c) They wanted him to help with the gardening.
(d) So they could take a picture of his
13. Who does Roland Weary blame for his death?
(a) Billy Pilgrim
(c) The Germans
(d) Wild Bob
14. What do stars look like to Tralfamadorans?
(a) Hexagonal specks of light
(b) Strings of luminous spaghetti
(c) Pulsating circles of light
(d) Glowing bouncing balls
15. Who is Wild Bob?
(a) A colonel who lost his entire regiment
(b) A German guard who loved American cowboy movies
(c) The name of a German shepherd in a POW camp
(d) The hobo Billy meets in the railroad car
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing both the Germans and the Tralfamadorans have Billy do?
2. Which person dies on the railroad trip in Germany?
3. What does Barbara think is wrong with Billy when she finds him in his cold house?
4. Why do the Germans take pictures of Roland and Billy?
5. What does Billy's doctor advise him to do every day?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)