|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Vonnegut notes that more people were killed in Dresden than. . .
(a) than died in the Concentration Camps.
(b) during the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima.
(c) have ever died in automobile accidents.
(d) have died from cancer in the last two years.
2. What, according to the Tralfamadoran, is a concept that only appears on Earth?
(b) Free will
3. Why does Billy get a furlough during basic training?
(a) He becomes ill with appendicitis.
(b) He asks to visit his wife before going overseas.
(c) His father dies in a hunting accident.
(d) His mother suffers a relapse in the hospital.
4. What is unique about the coat Billy Pilgrim gets from the Germans?
(a) It is the only one made from blue fabric.
(b) It's the only coat from a civilian.
(c) It has silver buttons on the collar and cuffs.
(d) It was made to be worn by a woman.
5. Where does Billy find himself the morning after he becomes drunk at the party?
(a) In the backseat of his car
(b) On Tralfamadore
(c) In a prisoner of war camp
(d) On the front lawn of the house
6. Why does Vonnegut stop at the Hudson River on the way to see his friend Bernard O'Hare?
(a) His daughter had never seen a river before.
(b) It reminds him of the Danube River.
(c) They want to go swimming in the water.
(d) He wants to see if he can catch a trout.
7. What happens when Billy tries to sleep in the railroad car?
(a) The guards start searching through the railroad car.
(b) The railroad car starts moving too fast to sleep.
(c) The other soldiers tell him to go lie down someplace else.
(d) Someone in the darkness starts screaming loudly.
8. Why do the Germans laugh at Billy's coat?
(a) He is wearing it backwards
(b) It is made out of blue silk
(c) It is much too small for him
(d) It has lace trim on the cuffs
9. Kurt Vonnegut tells Mary O'Hare that he is going to call his book:
(a) So It Goes
(b) The Destruction of Dresden
(d) The Children's Crusade
10. What play do the English prisoners put on to welcome the Americans?
(a) The Glass Menagerie
11. Vonnegut dedicates the book to Mary O'Hare and Gerhard Müller. Who is Gerhard Müller?
(a) The author of a book on massacres
(b) A policeman in Chicago
(c) A guard in the prison camp
(d) A taxi-driver in Dresde
12. Why did the German soldiers throw Billy into a shrubbery?
(a) So they could take a picture of his
(b) They wanted him to help with the gardening.
(c) They were angry at him for smiling so much.
(d) They wanted to play hide and seek with him.
13. What do the Tralfamadorans say when a person dies?
(a) No one really dies.
(c) So it goes.
(d) That's a pity.
14. Who dies in the railroad boxcars?
(a) Bernard O'Hare
(b) Wild Bob
(c) Roland Weary
(d) Kurt Vonnegut
15. Why is Billy taken to the hospital during the play?
(a) He starts coughing up blood.
(b) He starts throwing up.
(c) He starts laughing and cannot stop.
(d) He faints and they realize he is feverish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it about the Grand Canyon that scared Billy?
2. When does Billy make his first public speech?
3. What does Billy do when he gets drunk at the party in 1961?
4. What surprised the British officers most about the American prisoners?
5. What was Edgar Derby's job before he joined the army?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)