|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did Vonnegut have when he was in college?
(a) He was a factory worker.
(b) He was a chaplain's assistant.
(c) Working in a restaurant.
(d) He worked as a police reporter.
2. What happens to Billy in 1968?
(a) He survives a plane crash and his wife dies.
(b) His father gets into a car accident and nearly dies.
(c) He is diagnosed with cancer and undergoes surgery.
(d) His children try to get him committed to a mental ward.
3. What was Mackay's opinion about the Children's Crusade?
(a) It was a glorious event that should be celebrated.
(b) It was a terrible betrayal of the families involved.
(c) It was only slightly worse than grown-up crusades.
(d) It was a bitter waste, but ultimately positive.
4. What are the subjects of Roland Weary's most treasured picture?
(a) His car and his rifle
(b) A naked woman and a Shetland pony
(c) His best friends back in the United States
(d) His mother and his sister
5. Why are the American prisoners given showers?
(a) In order to humiliate the American Army
(b) Because the Germans cannot stand their smell
(c) To help kill the lice and germs on their bodies
(d) To warm them up after the cold railroad ride
6. What interrupts Billy's attempt at napping?
(a) His daughter calls on the telephone.
(b) The neighbor's dog starts barking.
(c) The Tralfamadorans show up.
(d) A man comes selling magazine subscriptions.
7. What question does the Frenchman ask about the Grand Canyon?
(a) If many people commit suicide by jumping into the canyon
(b) If there were any good hotels inside the canyon itself
(c) How many species living in the canyon had gone extinct
(d) If you could go white water rafting on the river
8. What complaint is Billy's doctor trying to relieve?
(a) Billy has no appetite and has lost too much weight.
(b) Billy finds himself weeping for no reason.
(c) Billy is unable to focus on his work.
(d) It takes Billy hours to fall asleep at night.
9. How do the Tralfamadorans view time?
(a) Like a river that flows in one direction only.
(b) As permanent fixtures, like the Rocky Mountains.
(c) It's a nuisance; time goes too slowly.
(d) As a gift that should be treasured like gold.
10. What, according to the Tralfamadoran, is a concept that only appears on Earth?
(a) Free will
11. How did Vonnegut once write an outline for a book?
(a) In the back of a flatbed truck
(b) On a roll of wallpaper with a crayon
(c) On a matchbook cover by candlelight
(d) Typing on a continuous roll of paper
12. Where is Billy when he wakes up from his dream?
(a) Sitting on his couch, watching a war movie
(b) In a mental ward, three years after the war
(c) Waiting for his wife to wake up and get dressed
(d) Back in the Carlsbad Caverns, in the dark
13. Why did the German soldiers throw Billy into a shrubbery?
(a) They were angry at him for smiling so much.
(b) So they could take a picture of his
(c) They wanted to play hide and seek with him.
(d) They wanted him to help with the gardening.
14. What does the author compare the march of American prisoners to?
(a) Water flowing downhill into a large river
(b) The young people in the Children's Crusade
(c) Ants moving their anthill to a new location
(d) Caribou migrating across the Arctic plains
15. This took place in:
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Billy kidnapped by the Tralfamadorans?
2. Who rescues Billy from being beaten by Roland Weary?
3. Why do the Germans take pictures of Roland and Billy?
4. One of Kurt Vonnegut's war buddies was killed for. . .
5. What are the Tralfamadorans?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)