|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the hobo in Billy's railroad boxcar tell him?
(a) The secrets of Trafalmadore.
(b) That he knows him from somewhere.
(c) That he's been hungry for weeks.
(d) That he has been in worse situations than this.
2. What is the only book Billy can read on the trip to Tralfamadore?
(a) The Sorrow and the Pity
(b) How Green Was My Valley
(c) The Valley of the Dolls
(d) The Dollhouse Murders
3. What does one of the German soldiers do to Roland Weary?
(a) Beats him with a rifle
(b) Mocks his accent
(c) Takes away his uniform
(d) Spits on his shoulder
4. How does Billy's son Robert straighten out his life?
(a) He becomes a Green Beret in Vietnam.
(b) He settles down and gets married.
(c) He stops drinking and becomes sober.
(d) He gets a job delivering phone books.
5. Who dies in the railroad boxcars?
(a) Wild Bob
(b) Roland Weary
(c) Bernard O'Hare
(d) Kurt Vonnegut
6. Why are the American prisoners given showers?
(a) To help kill the lice and germs on their bodies
(b) In order to humiliate the American Army
(c) To warm them up after the cold railroad ride
(d) Because the Germans cannot stand their smell
7. What does Barbara think is wrong with Billy when she finds him in his cold house?
(a) She thinks he is getting senile.
(b) She thinks he is distracted by grief.
(c) She thinks he is too proud to ask for money.
(d) She thinks he got pneumonia.
8. What is unique about the coat Billy Pilgrim gets from the Germans?
(a) It was made to be worn by a woman.
(b) It has silver buttons on the collar and cuffs.
(c) It is the only one made from blue fabric.
(d) It's the only coat from a civilian.
9. Kurt Vonnegut tells Mary O'Hare that he is going to call his book:
(a) The Destruction of Dresden
(b) So It Goes
(d) The Children's Crusade
10. What does Vonnegut tell his sons about massacres?
(a) That they are a necessary part of human history.
(b) To run away from them if at all possible.
(c) That they are excusable if done for a good reason.
(d) Not to be involved in them, or take glee from them.
11. What does Billy do the night before his daughter's wedding?
(a) He takes a nap while watching televsision.
(b) He waits for the aliens to kidnap him.
(c) He calls an old girlfriend on the phone.
(d) He talks to his old friend Bernard O'Hare.
12. What does Billy see in the Carlsbad Caverns when the lights are switched off?
(a) About a million bats falling out of an opening
(b) Nothing; he is left in total darkness
(c) The silhouette of the Ranger's hat
(d) His father's pocket watch glowing in the dark
13. How do the Tralfamadorans make Billy climb the ladder?
(a) They ask him politely.
(b) They threaten him with death.
(c) They shoot a ray at him.
(d) They poke him with long sticks.
14. Who is "Princess?"
(a) Billy's first girlfriend
(b) Roland Weary's wife
(c) The woman in Roland's picture
(d) A German shepherd dog
15. Why does Vonnegut stop at the Hudson River on the way to see his friend Bernard O'Hare?
(a) He wants to see if he can catch a trout.
(b) His daughter had never seen a river before.
(c) It reminds him of the Danube River.
(d) They want to go swimming in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had the British soldiers been prisoners of war?
2. What does Billy do when he gets drunk at the party in 1961?
3. What do the Tralfamadorans do with Billy?
4. What did the German soldiers find on Billy when they searched him?
5. Vonnegut notes that more people were killed in Dresden than. . .
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)