|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Billy kidnapped by the Tralfamadorans?
(a) During the march in 1944
(b) One morning in 1945
(c) On a night in 1967
(d) After dinner in 1957
2. What does Vonnegut tell his sons about massacres?
(a) To run away from them if at all possible.
(b) That they are excusable if done for a good reason.
(c) Not to be involved in them, or take glee from them.
(d) That they are a necessary part of human history.
3. Why does Vonnegut stop at the Hudson River on the way to see his friend Bernard O'Hare?
(a) They want to go swimming in the water.
(b) His daughter had never seen a river before.
(c) It reminds him of the Danube River.
(d) He wants to see if he can catch a trout.
4. What does the hobo in Billy's railroad boxcar tell him?
(a) That he has been in worse situations than this.
(b) The secrets of Trafalmadore.
(c) That he knows him from somewhere.
(d) That he's been hungry for weeks.
5. Who dies in the railroad boxcars?
(a) Wild Bob
(b) Roland Weary
(c) Kurt Vonnegut
(d) Bernard O'Hare
6. Where in the city are the prisoners of war kept during the bombing?
(a) In an empty school
(b) In a deserted zoo
(c) In a baby food factory
(d) In a slaughterhouse
7. Why does one of the Germans beat up an American prisoner of war?
(a) He was trying to escape from the POW camp.
(b) He was mimicking one of the other guards.
(c) He said something that the German did not like.
(d) He was making fun of Billy Pilgrim.
8. What question does the Frenchman ask about the Grand Canyon?
(a) If you could go white water rafting on the river
(b) If many people commit suicide by jumping into the canyon
(c) How many species living in the canyon had gone extinct
(d) If there were any good hotels inside the canyon itself
9. What is the first thing both the Germans and the Tralfamadorans have Billy do?
(a) Sit in a corner by himself
(b) Promise not to run away
(c) Take off his clothes
(d) Write a letter to his family
10. What does one of the German soldiers do to Roland Weary?
(a) Mocks his accent
(b) Spits on his shoulder
(c) Takes away his uniform
(d) Beats him with a rifle
11. How did Vonnegut once write an outline for a book?
(a) On a matchbook cover by candlelight
(b) Typing on a continuous roll of paper
(c) In the back of a flatbed truck
(d) On a roll of wallpaper with a crayon
12. What was the prized possession of the Commander who captured Billy and Roland?
(a) His ancient rifle
(b) His golden boots
(c) His pocket watch
(d) His sheepskin jacket
13. What author does Eliot Rosewater tell Billy about?
(a) Philip K. Dick
(b) Kilgore Trout
(c) L. Ron Hubbard
(d) Kurt Vonnegut
14. What is unusual about the war movie Billy watches?
(a) The characters in the movie start talking to Billy.
(b) It stars Roland Weary as the hero of the story.
(c) It is about Billy's own experiences in the war.
(d) It plays backwards and then forwards again.
15. What are the subjects of Roland Weary's most treasured picture?
(a) His best friends back in the United States
(b) His car and his rifle
(c) His mother and his sister
(d) A naked woman and a Shetland pony
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Tralfamadorans do with Billy?
2. What play do the British officers perform for the Americans?
3. What is Billy's position in the war?
4. Where did the soldiers take Billy and Roland?
5. Who is Barbara Pilgrim?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)