|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the time they reach Luxembourg, Roland Weary is reduced to wearing. . .
(a) clogs instead of boots.
(b) a blanket instead of a coat.
(c) his hair in a ponytail.
(d) handcuffs on his wrists.
2. Why does Billy get a furlough during basic training?
(a) His father dies in a hunting accident.
(b) He asks to visit his wife before going overseas.
(c) His mother suffers a relapse in the hospital.
(d) He becomes ill with appendicitis.
3. What does Barbara think is wrong with Billy when she finds him in his cold house?
(a) She thinks he got pneumonia.
(b) She thinks he is getting senile.
(c) She thinks he is too proud to ask for money.
(d) She thinks he is distracted by grief.
4. Why are the American prisoners given showers?
(a) Because the Germans cannot stand their smell
(b) To help kill the lice and germs on their bodies
(c) To warm them up after the cold railroad ride
(d) In order to humiliate the American Army
5. What surprised the British officers most about the American prisoners?
(a) How tired they looked
(b) How ill-dressed they were
(c) How nice they were
(d) How young they were
6. What is Billy's position in the war?
(a) Chaplain's assistant
(b) Private in the Infantry
(c) Corporal in Support Services
(d) Second lieutenant
7. Why did the German soldiers throw Billy into a shrubbery?
(a) They wanted him to help with the gardening.
(b) They were angry at him for smiling so much.
(c) So they could take a picture of his
(d) They wanted to play hide and seek with him.
8. What does Billy do after he leaves the hospital?
(a) He goes back to Dresden to see what it looks like now.
(b) He writes a book about his war experiences.
(c) He leaves his wife for a movie star named Montana Wildhack.
(d) He tells a radio audience that he was kidnapped by aliens.
9. What does Billy do the night before his daughter's wedding?
(a) He talks to his old friend Bernard O'Hare.
(b) He waits for the aliens to kidnap him.
(c) He calls an old girlfriend on the phone.
(d) He takes a nap while watching televsision.
10. What do stars look like to Tralfamadorans?
(a) Hexagonal specks of light
(b) Glowing bouncing balls
(c) Strings of luminous spaghetti
(d) Pulsating circles of light
11. What happens to Billy in 1968?
(a) He is diagnosed with cancer and undergoes surgery.
(b) He survives a plane crash and his wife dies.
(c) His father gets into a car accident and nearly dies.
(d) His children try to get him committed to a mental ward.
12. What play do the British officers perform for the Americans?
(a) Sleeping Beauty
(b) The Trojan War
13. How do the Tralfamadorans make Billy climb the ladder?
(a) They threaten him with death.
(b) They shoot a ray at him.
(c) They poke him with long sticks.
(d) They ask him politely.
14. What was it about the Grand Canyon that scared Billy?
(a) He thought he might fall into it.
(b) He could not see the end of it.
(c) He thought a rock might fall on his head.
(d) It reminded him of the swimming pool.
15. What does Billy dream about in the hospital?
(a) Swimming in the Hudson River
(b) Marching next to Roland Weary
(c) That he is a giraffe
(d) Flying over the battlefield
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Eliot Rosewater tell Billy about?
2. Which college did Vonnegut attend?
3. Why does Vonnegut stop at the Hudson River on the way to see his friend Bernard O'Hare?
4. What does the author compare the march of American prisoners to?
5. What are the Tralfamadorans?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)