|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Billy ask the Tralfamadorans?
(a) Where they are and how they got there.
(b) How his life will end.
(c) Where his mother is.
(d) What life on Trafalmadore is like.
2. How long does Billy stay locked in a railroad boxcar before it starts moving?
(a) Five days
(b) One day
(c) Ten hours
(d) Two days
3. What was the prized possession of the Commander who captured Billy and Roland?
(a) His sheepskin jacket
(b) His pocket watch
(c) His ancient rifle
(d) His golden boots
4. What does Barbara think is wrong with Billy when she finds him in his cold house?
(a) She thinks he got pneumonia.
(b) She thinks he is getting senile.
(c) She thinks he is too proud to ask for money.
(d) She thinks he is distracted by grief.
5. What question does the Frenchman ask about the Grand Canyon?
(a) If there were any good hotels inside the canyon itself
(b) How many species living in the canyon had gone extinct
(c) If you could go white water rafting on the river
(d) If many people commit suicide by jumping into the canyon
6. What does Billy compare the guard's railroad car to?
(a) A palace
(b) A brothel
(c) A movie set
7. What type of book does Vonnegut tell his friend he is writing?
(a) An anti-war book
(b) A memoir
(c) An anti-glacier book
(d) An epic
8. What does Billy do the night before his daughter's wedding?
(a) He waits for the aliens to kidnap him.
(b) He talks to his old friend Bernard O'Hare.
(c) He calls an old girlfriend on the phone.
(d) He takes a nap while watching televsision.
9. What does his father notice about Vonnegut's books?
(a) They are all about the war.
(b) Vonnegut has burned every one of them.
(c) None of them have been published.
(d) None of them have villains.
10. Where does Billy find himself the morning after he becomes drunk at the party?
(a) In the backseat of his car
(b) On Tralfamadore
(c) In a prisoner of war camp
(d) On the front lawn of the house
11. What was it about the Grand Canyon that scared Billy?
(a) He thought a rock might fall on his head.
(b) He thought he might fall into it.
(c) He could not see the end of it.
(d) It reminded him of the swimming pool.
12. What complaint is Billy's doctor trying to relieve?
(a) Billy is unable to focus on his work.
(b) Billy has no appetite and has lost too much weight.
(c) Billy finds himself weeping for no reason.
(d) It takes Billy hours to fall asleep at night.
13. Vonnegut dedicates the book to Mary O'Hare and Gerhard Müller. Who is Gerhard Müller?
(a) The author of a book on massacres
(b) A guard in the prison camp
(c) A taxi-driver in Dresde
(d) A policeman in Chicago
14. What play do the British officers perform for the Americans?
(a) The Trojan War
(d) Sleeping Beauty
15. Who is Barbara Pilgrim?
(a) Billy's first wife, who died in a car accident.
(b) Billy's daughter, who also married an optometrist.
(c) Billy's second wife, who left him for another man.
(d) Billy's mother, who is in a nursing home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Roland Weary give to the group of lost soldiers?
2. What does the hobo in Billy's railroad boxcar tell him?
3. What job did Vonnegut have when he was in college?
4. What does the Tralfamadoran compare a moment in time to?
5. Vonnegut notes that more people were killed in Dresden than. . .
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)