|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Billy make his first public speech?
(a) At a Lion's Club dinner in 1957
(b) In the POW camp in 1944
(c) On the radio in 1968
(d) To his high school class in 1940
2. What happens to Billy in 1968?
(a) He is diagnosed with cancer and undergoes surgery.
(b) His father gets into a car accident and nearly dies.
(c) His children try to get him committed to a mental ward.
(d) He survives a plane crash and his wife dies.
3. What does his father notice about Vonnegut's books?
(a) None of them have been published.
(b) Vonnegut has burned every one of them.
(c) They are all about the war.
(d) None of them have villains.
4. Why does one of the Germans beat up an American prisoner of war?
(a) He was mimicking one of the other guards.
(b) He was making fun of Billy Pilgrim.
(c) He was trying to escape from the POW camp.
(d) He said something that the German did not like.
5. How did Billy Pilgrim learn to swim?
(a) He used to go swimming with other boys in a local creek.
(b) His father threw him into the deep end of a swimming pool.
(c) He took lessons from a girl in a blue swimming suit.
(d) He was on a sail boat that capsized during a storm.
6. What play do the English prisoners put on to welcome the Americans?
(b) The Glass Menagerie
7. What does one of the German soldiers do to Roland Weary?
(a) Beats him with a rifle
(b) Spits on his shoulder
(c) Takes away his uniform
(d) Mocks his accent
8. Who is "Princess?"
(a) The woman in Roland's picture
(b) Billy's first girlfriend
(c) Roland Weary's wife
(d) A German shepherd dog
9. What interrupts Billy's attempt at napping?
(a) His daughter calls on the telephone.
(b) The Tralfamadorans show up.
(c) A man comes selling magazine subscriptions.
(d) The neighbor's dog starts barking.
10. Why does Mary O'Hare get angry at Kurt Vonnegut?
(a) He refuses to drink the tea she offers.
(b) She thinks he is going to glorify soldiers in war.
(c) He gets her husband drunk in the kitchen.
(d) He ignores her when she asks questions.
11. What name does Roland Weary give to the group of lost soldiers?
(a) The Three Musketeers
(b) The Band of Brothers
(c) The Last Warriors
(d) The Lost Souls
12. What is Billy's position in the war?
(a) Corporal in Support Services
(b) Chaplain's assistant
(c) Private in the Infantry
(d) Second lieutenant
13. Who promises to avenge Roland?
(a) Paul Lazzaro
(b) The Three Musketeers
(c) Edgar Derby
(d) Billy Pilgrim
14. How does Roland Weary die?
(a) From gangrene in his feet
(b) Killed by the other prisoners
(c) Killed by a German guard
(d) By shooting himself in the head
15. Where did the soldiers take Billy and Roland?
(a) To a local brewery where they were fed sausages
(b) To the mayor's house in the nearest village
(c) To the town jail where they were able to wash up
(d) To a stone cottage filled with other prisoners
Short Answer Questions
1. Kurt Vonnegut tells Mary O'Hare that he is going to call his book:
2. What was the prized possession of the Commander who captured Billy and Roland?
3. This took place in:
4. Where does Billy time travel to after the Carlbad Caverns?
5. What happens when Billy tries to sleep in the railroad car?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)