|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vonnegut tell his sons about massacres?
(a) To run away from them if at all possible.
(b) That they are a necessary part of human history.
(c) That they are excusable if done for a good reason.
(d) Not to be involved in them, or take glee from them.
2. How does Billy's son Robert straighten out his life?
(a) He becomes a Green Beret in Vietnam.
(b) He settles down and gets married.
(c) He stops drinking and becomes sober.
(d) He gets a job delivering phone books.
3. What does Billy dream about in the hospital?
(a) Flying over the battlefield
(b) That he is a giraffe
(c) Marching next to Roland Weary
(d) Swimming in the Hudson River
4. What was the prized possession of the Commander who captured Billy and Roland?
(a) His sheepskin jacket
(b) His ancient rifle
(c) His golden boots
(d) His pocket watch
5. What do humans look like to the Tralfamadorans?
(d) Pale worms
6. What interrupts Billy's attempt at napping?
(a) A man comes selling magazine subscriptions.
(b) His daughter calls on the telephone.
(c) The Tralfamadorans show up.
(d) The neighbor's dog starts barking.
7. Where does Billy time travel to after the Carlbad Caverns?
(a) He returns to the POW camp.
(b) He travels to another family vacation.
(c) He travels to the moment of his death.
(d) He returns to basic training.
8. What does the Tralfamadoran compare a moment in time to?
(a) A bug trapped in amber
(b) The reflection in a mirror
(c) A sheet of ice
(d) A flickering flame
9. How long had the British soldiers been prisoners of war?
(a) Eight months
(b) Two years
(c) A year and a half
(d) Four years
10. How do the Tralfamadorans make Billy climb the ladder?
(a) They ask him politely.
(b) They threaten him with death.
(c) They shoot a ray at him.
(d) They poke him with long sticks.
11. What does Barbara think is wrong with Billy when she finds him in his cold house?
(a) She thinks he got pneumonia.
(b) She thinks he is distracted by grief.
(c) She thinks he is getting senile.
(d) She thinks he is too proud to ask for money.
12. What does Billy's doctor advise him to do every day?
(a) Take a long walk
(b) Take a nap
(c) Take anti-depressants
13. Why do the Germans take pictures of Roland and Billy?
(a) For propaganda purposes
(b) They like the Americans
(c) They are making postcards
(d) For official records
14. What are the subjects of Roland Weary's most treasured picture?
(a) A naked woman and a Shetland pony
(b) His car and his rifle
(c) His best friends back in the United States
(d) His mother and his sister
15. Why did the German soldiers throw Billy into a shrubbery?
(a) They wanted to play hide and seek with him.
(b) They were angry at him for smiling so much.
(c) They wanted him to help with the gardening.
(d) So they could take a picture of his
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Lot's wife looked back on Sodom and Gomorrah?
2. Who is "Princess?"
3. Which person dies on the railroad trip in Germany?
4. How long does Billy stay locked in a railroad boxcar before it starts moving?
5. What are the Tralfamadorans?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)