|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Billy's position in the war?
(a) Second lieutenant
(b) Corporal in Support Services
(c) Chaplain's assistant
(d) Private in the Infantry
2. Why does Vonnegut stop at the Hudson River on the way to see his friend Bernard O'Hare?
(a) They want to go swimming in the water.
(b) He wants to see if he can catch a trout.
(c) It reminds him of the Danube River.
(d) His daughter had never seen a river before.
3. What does Billy dream about in the hospital?
(a) That he is a giraffe
(b) Swimming in the Hudson River
(c) Flying over the battlefield
(d) Marching next to Roland Weary
4. When does Billy make his first public speech?
(a) In the POW camp in 1944
(b) To his high school class in 1940
(c) At a Lion's Club dinner in 1957
(d) On the radio in 1968
5. Which college did Vonnegut attend?
(a) The University of Dresden
(b) Cornell University
(c) The University of Chicago
(d) Stanford University
6. Who rescues Billy from being beaten by Roland Weary?
(a) Bernard O'Hare
(b) A patrol of German soldiers
(c) American Army Scouts
(d) The Tralfamadorans
7. Why does Billy get a furlough during basic training?
(a) His mother suffers a relapse in the hospital.
(b) His father dies in a hunting accident.
(c) He becomes ill with appendicitis.
(d) He asks to visit his wife before going overseas.
8. Why are the American prisoners given showers?
(a) In order to humiliate the American Army
(b) To warm them up after the cold railroad ride
(c) Because the Germans cannot stand their smell
(d) To help kill the lice and germs on their bodies
9. Why does one of the Germans beat up an American prisoner of war?
(a) He said something that the German did not like.
(b) He was trying to escape from the POW camp.
(c) He was making fun of Billy Pilgrim.
(d) He was mimicking one of the other guards.
10. What was the prized possession of the Commander who captured Billy and Roland?
(a) His sheepskin jacket
(b) His ancient rifle
(c) His golden boots
(d) His pocket watch
11. Where does Billy find himself the morning after he becomes drunk at the party?
(a) In the backseat of his car
(b) On the front lawn of the house
(c) In a prisoner of war camp
(d) On Tralfamadore
12. What question does the Frenchman ask about the Grand Canyon?
(a) How many species living in the canyon had gone extinct
(b) If you could go white water rafting on the river
(c) If many people commit suicide by jumping into the canyon
(d) If there were any good hotels inside the canyon itself
13. Which person dies on the railroad trip in Germany?
(a) Edgar Derby
(b) Bernard O'Hare
(c) Paul Lazzaro
(d) The hobo
14. What does his father notice about Vonnegut's books?
(a) They are all about the war.
(b) None of them have been published.
(c) Vonnegut has burned every one of them.
(d) None of them have villains.
15. What, according to the Tralfamadoran, is a concept that only appears on Earth?
(c) Free will
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Wild Bob?
2. Why is Billy taken to the hospital during the play?
3. How many days does Billy travel in the railroad cars before arriving at the camp?
4. What author does Eliot Rosewater tell Billy about?
5. What do the Tralfamadorans say when a person dies?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)