|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Roland Weary die?
(a) By shooting himself in the head
(b) From gangrene in his feet
(c) Killed by a German guard
(d) Killed by the other prisoners
2. Who rescues Billy from being beaten by Roland Weary?
(a) Bernard O'Hare
(b) American Army Scouts
(c) A patrol of German soldiers
(d) The Tralfamadorans
3. Why does one of the Germans beat up an American prisoner of war?
(a) He was trying to escape from the POW camp.
(b) He was mimicking one of the other guards.
(c) He was making fun of Billy Pilgrim.
(d) He said something that the German did not like.
4. What was Edgar Derby's job before he joined the army?
(a) He was an advertising executive.
(b) He worked in a toothpaste factory.
(c) He drove a forklift in a warehouse.
(d) He was a high school teacher.
5. Who dies in the railroad boxcars?
(a) Kurt Vonnegut
(b) Wild Bob
(c) Roland Weary
(d) Bernard O'Hare
6. What happens to Billy in 1968?
(a) His children try to get him committed to a mental ward.
(b) His father gets into a car accident and nearly dies.
(c) He is diagnosed with cancer and undergoes surgery.
(d) He survives a plane crash and his wife dies.
7. Where in the city are the prisoners of war kept during the bombing?
(a) In a deserted zoo
(b) In an empty school
(c) In a baby food factory
(d) In a slaughterhouse
8. Which college did Vonnegut attend?
(a) The University of Dresden
(b) Stanford University
(c) The University of Chicago
(d) Cornell University
9. What does Billy do the night before his daughter's wedding?
(a) He takes a nap while watching televsision.
(b) He calls an old girlfriend on the phone.
(c) He waits for the aliens to kidnap him.
(d) He talks to his old friend Bernard O'Hare.
10. What are the subjects of Roland Weary's most treasured picture?
(a) His mother and his sister
(b) His car and his rifle
(c) A naked woman and a Shetland pony
(d) His best friends back in the United States
11. What did the German soldiers find on Billy when they searched him?
(a) His rifle and bayonet
(b) A two-inch pencil stub
(c) A picture of his girlfriend
(d) The letter from his mother
12. What does Billy dream about in the hospital?
(a) Marching next to Roland Weary
(b) Swimming in the Hudson River
(c) Flying over the battlefield
(d) That he is a giraffe
13. By the time they reach Luxembourg, Roland Weary is reduced to wearing. . .
(a) handcuffs on his wrists.
(b) his hair in a ponytail.
(c) a blanket instead of a coat.
(d) clogs instead of boots.
14. What does Billy do when he gets drunk at the party in 1961?
(a) He yells at his best friend.
(b) He cheats on his wife.
(c) He calls up old girlfriends.
(d) He passes out on the living room rug.
15. How long had the British soldiers been prisoners of war?
(a) Two years
(b) Four years
(c) Eight months
(d) A year and a half
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprised the British officers most about the American prisoners?
2. Why does Billy get a furlough during basic training?
3. Why does Mary O'Hare get angry at Kurt Vonnegut?
4. What name does Roland Weary give to the group of lost soldiers?
5. How long does Billy stay locked in a railroad boxcar before it starts moving?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)