|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barbara think is wrong with Billy when she finds him in his cold house?
(a) She thinks he is too proud to ask for money.
(b) She thinks he is distracted by grief.
(c) She thinks he got pneumonia.
(d) She thinks he is getting senile.
2. What does his father notice about Vonnegut's books?
(a) They are all about the war.
(b) Vonnegut has burned every one of them.
(c) None of them have been published.
(d) None of them have villains.
3. Vonnegut dedicates the book to Mary O'Hare and Gerhard Müller. Who is Gerhard Müller?
(a) A guard in the prison camp
(b) The author of a book on massacres
(c) A policeman in Chicago
(d) A taxi-driver in Dresde
4. What does the Tralfamadoran compare a moment in time to?
(a) The reflection in a mirror
(b) A bug trapped in amber
(c) A flickering flame
(d) A sheet of ice
5. Why do the Germans laugh at Billy's coat?
(a) It is made out of blue silk
(b) He is wearing it backwards
(c) It has lace trim on the cuffs
(d) It is much too small for him
6. What was it about the Grand Canyon that scared Billy?
(a) He thought a rock might fall on his head.
(b) He could not see the end of it.
(c) He thought he might fall into it.
(d) It reminded him of the swimming pool.
7. What was Mackay's opinion about the Children's Crusade?
(a) It was a glorious event that should be celebrated.
(b) It was a terrible betrayal of the families involved.
(c) It was a bitter waste, but ultimately positive.
(d) It was only slightly worse than grown-up crusades.
8. What was the prized possession of the Commander who captured Billy and Roland?
(a) His golden boots
(b) His sheepskin jacket
(c) His ancient rifle
(d) His pocket watch
9. Who promises to avenge Roland?
(a) Edgar Derby
(b) Paul Lazzaro
(c) Billy Pilgrim
(d) The Three Musketeers
10. What does Billy compare the guard's railroad car to?
(a) A palace
(b) A movie set
(c) A brothel
11. Who is "Princess?"
(a) A German shepherd dog
(b) Billy's first girlfriend
(c) Roland Weary's wife
(d) The woman in Roland's picture
12. What name does Roland Weary give to the group of lost soldiers?
(a) The Lost Souls
(b) The Three Musketeers
(c) The Band of Brothers
(d) The Last Warriors
13. Vonnegut notes that more people were killed in Dresden than. . .
(a) during the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima.
(b) have ever died in automobile accidents.
(c) have died from cancer in the last two years.
(d) than died in the Concentration Camps.
14. What is unique about the coat Billy Pilgrim gets from the Germans?
(a) It is the only one made from blue fabric.
(b) It was made to be worn by a woman.
(c) It has silver buttons on the collar and cuffs.
(d) It's the only coat from a civilian.
15. What do the Tralfamadorans do with Billy?
(a) They perform intelligence tests on him.
(b) They ask him about Earth culture.
(c) They put him on display in a zoo.
(d) They use him to test medicines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does one of the Germans beat up an American prisoner of war?
2. Which college did Vonnegut attend?
3. Why does Billy get a furlough during basic training?
4. How does Roland Weary die?
5. What do stars look like to Tralfamadorans?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)