|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the German soldiers throw Billy into a shrubbery?
(a) They wanted him to help with the gardening.
(b) They were angry at him for smiling so much.
(c) They wanted to play hide and seek with him.
(d) So they could take a picture of his
2. What does Billy do the night before his daughter's wedding?
(a) He takes a nap while watching televsision.
(b) He talks to his old friend Bernard O'Hare.
(c) He calls an old girlfriend on the phone.
(d) He waits for the aliens to kidnap him.
3. How does Billy's son Robert straighten out his life?
(a) He settles down and gets married.
(b) He gets a job delivering phone books.
(c) He stops drinking and becomes sober.
(d) He becomes a Green Beret in Vietnam.
4. Who is Barbara Pilgrim?
(a) Billy's daughter, who also married an optometrist.
(b) Billy's first wife, who died in a car accident.
(c) Billy's mother, who is in a nursing home.
(d) Billy's second wife, who left him for another man.
5. What is the first thing both the Germans and the Tralfamadorans have Billy do?
(a) Write a letter to his family
(b) Sit in a corner by himself
(c) Take off his clothes
(d) Promise not to run away
6. How did Vonnegut once write an outline for a book?
(a) On a matchbook cover by candlelight
(b) On a roll of wallpaper with a crayon
(c) In the back of a flatbed truck
(d) Typing on a continuous roll of paper
7. Who is Wild Bob?
(a) The name of a German shepherd in a POW camp
(b) The hobo Billy meets in the railroad car
(c) A colonel who lost his entire regiment
(d) A German guard who loved American cowboy movies
8. By the time they reach Luxembourg, Roland Weary is reduced to wearing. . .
(a) a blanket instead of a coat.
(b) handcuffs on his wrists.
(c) his hair in a ponytail.
(d) clogs instead of boots.
9. What does the Marine major tell Billy at the Lion's Club?
(a) Billy should not have allowed himself to be captured.
(b) Billy should be proud of his son for joining the Green Berets.
(c) Billy was a great soldier and should be proud of that.
(d) Chaplains are silly and unnecessary in the army.
10. How do the Tralfamadorans view time?
(a) As permanent fixtures, like the Rocky Mountains.
(b) Like a river that flows in one direction only.
(c) As a gift that should be treasured like gold.
(d) It's a nuisance; time goes too slowly.
11. Who promises to avenge Roland?
(a) Paul Lazzaro
(b) Billy Pilgrim
(c) The Three Musketeers
(d) Edgar Derby
12. What does the hobo in Billy's railroad boxcar tell him?
(a) That he has been in worse situations than this.
(b) That he knows him from somewhere.
(c) That he's been hungry for weeks.
(d) The secrets of Trafalmadore.
13. Which college did Vonnegut attend?
(a) The University of Chicago
(b) Cornell University
(c) The University of Dresden
(d) Stanford University
14. How many days does Billy travel in the railroad cars before arriving at the camp?
(a) Six days
(b) Five days
(c) Ten days
(d) Twelve days
15. Why does Mary O'Hare get angry at Kurt Vonnegut?
(a) He ignores her when she asks questions.
(b) He gets her husband drunk in the kitchen.
(c) She thinks he is going to glorify soldiers in war.
(d) He refuses to drink the tea she offers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy get a furlough during basic training?
2. Vonnegut dedicates the book to Mary O'Hare and Gerhard Müller. Who is Gerhard Müller?
3. What did the German soldiers find on Billy when they searched him?
4. Who does Roland Weary blame for his death?
5. What question does the Frenchman ask about the Grand Canyon?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)