|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wilbur assigns himself what new middle name?
2. What does Wilbur believe is responsible for most criminal activity?
3. What disease does David suffer from?
4. What is the name of the deadly flu that hits the United States?
5. When Wilbur attends a meeting, how old is the new chairperson of the Daffodils?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scientific discovery has been made by Dr. von Peterswald?
2. When Wilbur finishes speaking with Eliza in the afterlife, what does he plan to do and why?
3. After Eliza is released from the mental institution, how does she express her anger to her brother?
4. Why does Sophie object to her new middle name?
5. Walter finds it disturbing to be around the religious members of the kidnapped Jesus cult for what reason?
6. On his way to speak with the dead, why does Wilbur stop by Indianapolis?
7. What does a meeting at the Thirteen Club look like?
8. During their reunion, Wilbur and Eliza do what to their mother, the servants, and Mushari?
9. When Wilbur lights all of the candles Vera gives him for his birthday, he says he feels like what?
10. When Wilbur returns to his graduation party, people think that Eliza's voice had come from where?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilbur and Eliza reveal their intelligence to their caretakers at the mansion in a cautious and deliberate fashion. Analyze this reveal and its results.
1) What actions do they take to reveal the truth about their intelligence?
2) What actions do they take to protect the adults when they learn the truth?
3) What actions do they take when they do not receive the response they were expecting?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the Chinese create inventions that could help Wilbur and Eliza resolve many of their physical and personal issues. These inventions are mentioned in passing. Select a moment in the text where one of these inventions are mentioned and analyze what this invention could resolve for Wilbur or Eliza.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Wilbur and Eliza throughout the novel.
1) What were they like as children?
2) What is their relationship when they are separated?
3) What is their relationship when they are reunited?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)