|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the young black man waiting in the dentist's office say should be questioned?
2. James explains to the reader in Chapter 10 that Mama doesn't like James to do what?
3. While James and his Mama are walking, James said he'd be happy if it was what all the time?
4. The nurse claims that the dentist will not see any more patients until what time?
5. While James and his Mama are walking away from the dentist's office for the second time, what does James see bouncing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of this story is The Sky is Gray. Why do you think Ernest J. Gaines used this title? There is a time in the book that James tells the reader that the sky is gray. Why do you think this was important? Why was it James that proclaimed the color of the sky? What kind of underlying meaning does this title bring to mind? Explain your answers and use specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Even though James' Daddy was sent away to the Army, he still plays a very important role in the story, The Sky is Gray. How would the story be different if James' Daddy was still at home? Which characters would be affected the most by his presence in the household? How do you think the story would be different if Jame's Daddy was not mentioned in the book or if he had died? How does Daddy's absence affect Mama? How does Daddy's absence affect James? Do you think that Daddy's absence affects other characters in the book? Who and how?
Essay Topic 3
There are times in the story, The Sky is Gray where there is conflict between two or more of the characters. Name someone that James has a conflict with. Why does a conflict arise and how is it resolved? Name someone that Mama has a conflict with. Why does this conflict arise and how is it resolved? How do these two conflicts affect each character? Use specific examples in the book to support your views.
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)