|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "things change through action. By no other way." while they wait in the dentist's office and speak to the lady in the sweater?
2. What do James and Mama do after seeing what time it is on the clock that James sees in Chapter 10?
3. What color is the heater inside the cafe?
4. What color does the young black man with the book claim the wind is?
5. What does James think is the occupation of the young black man in the dentist's waiting room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story, The Sky is Gray, we see examples of segregation where white people go one place and black people go to another place to have the same things done or to do the same things. Discuss the different ways that segregation is used in the story and how this affects the different characters in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Ernest J. Gaines uses flashbacks in his short story, The Sky is Gray. How do these flashbacks strengthen the story? What connections do you feel with James after reading the flashbacks? Do you feel like you understand and know the characters better after you've read various flashbacks? Why or why not? Do you think that Gaines used flashbacks effectively in the story? Do you think there could have been more flashbacks in the story, or did Gaines use just the right amount? How would the story be different if the author did not use flashbacks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
The title of this story is The Sky is Gray. Why do you think Ernest J. Gaines used this title? There is a time in the book that James tells the reader that the sky is gray. Why do you think this was important? Why was it James that proclaimed the color of the sky? What kind of underlying meaning does this title bring to mind? Explain your answers and use specific examples from the story.
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)