|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mama want James to do after she killed the bird?
2. What has been hurting James?
3. James had also eaten owl and what else?
4. James says he's been to the bigger city before and that he went with who?
5. What does James see on the other side of the lilies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't James mind that he and his Mama are walking all the way back to the cafe where black people eat?
2. What does James hear as he is walking to the cafe?
3. Why does James look at the nurse all pitiful?
4. What is the opening line of Chapter 7, who says it, and why?
5. Why does Monsieur Bayonne think that his prayers aren't working?
6. What type of people are waiting in the dentist's office?
7. Describe the girl that is sitting across from James on the bus.
8. What does Helena tell Mama after Mama states that they "don't take no handout"?
9. Who does James say he wants to be like when he grows up and what will he have?
10. Describe the scene where James is waiting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, The Sky is Gray, James and his mother are almost always together. Describe Octavia and James' relationship. Would you consider their relationship to be a normal mother/son connection? Why or why not? How does James feel about his mother? How does Octavia feel about her son? Why doesn't Octavia express her love for James and do you think she really loves him?
Essay Topic 2
Even though James' Daddy was sent away to the Army, he still plays a very important role in the story, The Sky is Gray. How would the story be different if James' Daddy was still at home? Which characters would be affected the most by his presence in the household? How do you think the story would be different if Jame's Daddy was not mentioned in the book or if he had died? How does Daddy's absence affect Mama? How does Daddy's absence affect James? Do you think that Daddy's absence affects other characters in the book? Who and how?
Essay Topic 3
Who is your favorite character in the story, The Sky is Gray? Why did this character appeal to you? What characteristics did you like about this character? Were there any characteristics that you didn't like about this person? What does this character add to the story? How would things be different if this character did not exist in the story? Would anything remain the same in the story if the character didn't exist? If so, how?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)