|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the protagonist of the story?
2. What does James see in the shoe shop?
3. One man tells another man in the dentist office that he thought he was hollering like what?
4. What would Ty rather have than syrup?
5. When Mama used to stay up late, where would the family sit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does James close his eyes while he's walking with his Mama back to the dentist's office and what happens when he closes his eyes?
2. When the preacher asks the young man about his parents, what does the young man tell the preacher?
3. What does Mama and Auntie decide to do with the left over fifty cents Mama will have?
4. Describe the waiting room in the dentist's office during the opening of Chapter 8.
5. What does Mama suggest James kill the redbird with and what does she do when he doesn't want to kill the bird?
6. Why does the preacher ask the young man to stand up?
7. What does James imagine his mother is thinking about while they wait at the end of the gravel road during the opening of the book?
8. Why does James say he had to kill the redbird?
9. Where do Mama and James go to get warm and what does Mama do to make sure James has enough time to get warm?
10. How does James describe the sleet that is falling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story, The Sky is Gray, who do you consider to be the protagonist of the story? What kind of obstacles does this character face or overcome? What or who would be considered to be the antagonists in the story? How does the protagonist grow from their experiences in the story? Cite specific examples from the story to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Even though James' Daddy was sent away to the Army, he still plays a very important role in the story, The Sky is Gray. How would the story be different if James' Daddy was still at home? Which characters would be affected the most by his presence in the household? How do you think the story would be different if Jame's Daddy was not mentioned in the book or if he had died? How does Daddy's absence affect Mama? How does Daddy's absence affect James? Do you think that Daddy's absence affects other characters in the book? Who and how?
Essay Topic 3
The story, The Sky is Gray takes place during about a day of James' life. Do you feel connected at all with James after only "knowing" him for a day? If so, how and why? If not, why not? Why do you think the author chose to only have the story cover one day of James' life? Was the story effective in the way it was told? Was time an important factor in the story or did it not matter that the story spans the duration of only one day?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)