|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does James say is a hundred times bigger than where they are?
2. Why doesn't James sit down when he finds a seat on the bus?
3. What is James waiting for in Chapter 1?
4. Why did Mama go over to the fence?
5. What was going to make Mama "mad again"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James hear as he is walking to the cafe?
2. What does James think about when he looks up at his Mama while they are waiting in the dentist's office?
3. What do Ty and James do with Monsieur Bayonne's two hounds?
4. When the young man starts talking about questioning everything what does the preacher do?
5. Who does James say he wants to be like when he grows up and what will he have?
6. What does James think about as he is walking to the cafe?
7. Why does the young man hope that all young black men are not like him?
8. Why does James look at the nurse all pitiful?
9. How does James describe the sleet that is falling?
10. Why does Mama pay for food even after James tells her that he's not hungry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James and Ty are brothers in the story, The Sky is Gray. The two characters are similar in some ways but very different in other ways. Compare and contrast the two brothers in detail. Explain their relationship with each other and with the other characters in the book. How does James relate to Mama differently than Ty does? Use specific parts from the story to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Mama tells James that she doesn't want him to be a crybaby. There are different parts of the story that James is afraid to show his emotions because of Mama. What are some of these instances in the story? Why do you think James was so concerned on making sure his emotions didn't show? Why did Mama raise James this way? Is Ty afraid to show his emotions? Why or why not? Do you think Mama is a terrible mother because she is so stern with her children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 7 of The Sky is Gray, there is a conversation between the preacher and a boy in the waiting room. They get into a heated argument and the preacher ends up hitting the boy. Why did the preacher feel it was necessary to take physical action with the boy? Do you think the patrons of the dentist's office cared that the preacher had hit the boy? Why or why not? Do you think hitting the boy helped the preacher find favor with the other people waiting? Did the preacher feel he was right in hitting the boy? Does the preacher think that God finds favor in what he did to the boy? Why or why not?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)