|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mama stayed up late before Daddy did what?
(a) Went in the Army.
(b) Went to bed.
(c) Ran away.
(d) Moved to the city.
2. What is all cracked in the city where James and Mama are?
(a) The dentist's office.
(b) The post office.
(c) The train tracks.
(d) The pavement.
3. James can't ever be scared or can't ever what?
(a) Ride a train.
(b) Leave the house.
(c) Have a friend over.
4. What does James wonder if he can do to the thing he sees on the other side of the lilies?
(a) Train it.
(b) Scare it.
(c) Eat it.
(d) Hollar at it.
5. Who says in Chapter 3, "tomorrow we going to town"?
(b) Monsieur Bayonne.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mama used to stay up late, where would the family sit?
2. What is Mama wondering "bout the hog"?
3. Who is the protagonist of the story?
4. Why is the tip of Monsieur Bayonne's finger hard?
5. What did Mama want James to do after she killed the bird?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James see when he looks at the river?
2. Why does the preacher ask the young man to stand up?
3. What are some of the things that James and his mother pass before they arrive at the dentist's office?
4. What other thing does Monsieur Bayonne do besides praying to help James' jaw?
5. What does the man in the cafe do?
6. Why does the lady at the dentist's office tell the Mama not to feel rejected?
7. When the young man starts talking about questioning everything what does the preacher do?
8. What kind of interaction do James and the girl have right before James gets off the bus?
9. What kind of things does Mama consider crybaby stuff according to James?
10. Why doesn't James mind that he and his Mama are walking all the way back to the cafe where black people eat?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)