|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sign did Monsieur Bayonne make over James' jaw?
(a) A sorrowful sign.
(b) The cross.
(c) A prayer sign.
(d) A thumbs-up.
2. Where do James and Ty sit to hear Monsieur Bayonne play?
(a) Around a fire.
(b) Beside the second story window.
(c) In the barn.
3. Why doesn't James want anyone to tell Mama about his hurting?
(a) Because they don't have the money to fix it.
(b) Because he already talked to the doctor.
(c) Because it's getting better.
(d) Because Mama already knows.
4. James says he's been to the bigger city before and that he went with who?
(a) Ty, Mama, and Daddy.
(b) Auntie, Ty, and Daddy.
(c) Daddy, Auntie, and Mama.
(d) Auntie, Ty, and Mama.
5. How much will it cost to have James' tooth pulled?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) A dollar.
(c) Two and a half dollars.
(d) A dollar and a half.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three things are on the sides of the long old road?
2. Who says "white beans and no salt meat ain't white beans"?
3. Which dentist do the white people usually go to?
4. What would Ty rather have than syrup?
5. Who "knowed it was hurting me"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James imagine his mother is thinking about while they wait at the end of the gravel road during the opening of the book?
2. What do Ty and James have for breakfast and what would Ty rather have?
3. What does James think about when he looks up at his Mama while they are waiting in the dentist's office?
4. Why does James look at the nurse all pitiful?
5. In Chapter 13, what does James think about to keep from getting cold?
6. In the opening of the first chapter of The Sky is Gray, what is James waiting for and what is he going to do?
7. Why does James say he had to kill the redbird?
8. What are some of the things that James and his mother pass before they arrive at the dentist's office?
9. What is the opening line of Chapter 7, who says it, and why?
10. What happens between the woman on the bus sitting beside Mama and James?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)