|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James tells the reader while he is watching the scenery outside that the river is what?
2. What is Mama always doing to Ty?
(a) Making him food.
(b) Telling him stories.
(c) Whipping him.
(d) Sending him out to feed the hog.
3. Who says in Chapter 3, "tomorrow we going to town"?
(a) Monsieur Bayonne.
4. What was going to make Mama "mad again"?
(a) If Ty sleeps in.
(b) If James told her that he was hurting.
(c) If James ignored her.
(d) If Auntie doesn't do her chores.
5. In Chapter 1, what do the cows do in the pasture?
(a) Chase the people walking.
(b) Eat clover until it's gone.
(c) Moo at the bus.
(d) Stand close together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "James, hit the floor"?
2. What else did Monsieur Bayonne do besides making a sign over James' jaw?
3. James says he's been to the bigger city before and that he went with who?
4. What three things are on the sides of the long old road?
5. Who told Monsieur Bayonne to come over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James imagine his mother is thinking about while they wait at the end of the gravel road during the opening of the book?
2. What kind of birds does James claim he has eaten?
3. What are some of the things that James and his mother pass before they arrive at the dentist's office?
4. Describe the girl that is sitting across from James on the bus.
5. What does Helena tell Mama after Mama states that they "don't take no handout"?
6. Why does James' mother jump up off the bench inside the dentist's office?
7. What does Mama suggest James kill the redbird with and what does she do when he doesn't want to kill the bird?
8. What does Mama and Auntie decide to do with the left over fifty cents Mama will have?
9. Describe the scene where James is waiting.
10. How does James describe the sleet that is falling?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)