|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has James been hurting?
(a) Close to a month.
(b) Close to two months.
(c) Close to six months.
(d) Close to two weeks.
2. Which dentist do the white people usually go to?
(a) Dr. Roughin.
(b) Dr. Blinkly.
(c) Dr. Baird.
(d) Dr. Robillard.
3. Mama stayed up late before Daddy did what?
(a) Moved to the city.
(b) Went in the Army.
(c) Went to bed.
(d) Ran away.
4. Why doesn't James sit down when he finds a seat on the bus?
(a) Because he wants his Mama to sit down.
(b) Because all the seats are taken.
(c) Because boys don't sit.
(d) Because he wants to stand.
5. What does James pretend he's not scared of?
(a) The dark.
(c) Big men.
(d) His mama.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do James and Ty sit to hear Monsieur Bayonne play?
2. What else did Monsieur Bayonne do besides making a sign over James' jaw?
3. James had also eaten owl and what else?
4. Where is James when he is beside Monsieur Bayonne?
5. What city does James say is a hundred times bigger than where they are?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the sleeping arrangements in James' home.
2. What does Mama and Auntie decide to do with the left over fifty cents Mama will have?
3. Describe the scene where James is waiting.
4. Why does the young man hope that all young black men are not like him?
5. What does the preacher and the woman who is dressed like a nurse have a conversation about?
6. When Mama flips the quarter over in her hand what does James think Mama is thinking about?
7. Why does James look at the nurse all pitiful?
8. Who finds out about James' toothache and what does this person do about it?
9. Where do Mama and James go to get warm and what does Mama do to make sure James has enough time to get warm?
10. Why does the lady at the dentist's office tell the Mama not to feel rejected?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)