|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James see in the shoe shop?
(a) A woman paying at the counter.
(b) Stacks of shoe boxes.
(c) A little boy chasing his sister around the shop.
(d) A bald man fixing shoes.
2. Why did Mama go over to the fence?
(a) To throw up.
(b) To yell at the birds.
(c) To find the biggest switch she could find.
(d) To find another bird.
3. What does Mama ask James to do while she pays the bus fare?
(a) Find their friends.
(b) Wait for her.
(c) Pick up some trash.
(d) Sit in the back.
4. Where do James and Ty sit to hear Monsieur Bayonne play?
(a) Beside the second story window.
(c) In the barn.
(d) Around a fire.
5. Who says in Chapter 3, "tomorrow we going to town"?
(a) Monsieur Bayonne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sign say in the bus?
2. How much money will Mama have left over after paying for travel and cost of pulling a tooth?
3. What is the little boy's name that is waiting in the dentist office?
4. What hides the river as the bus goes around a turn?
5. What was James doing beside the trap while Mama was over by the fence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of birds does James claim he has eaten?
2. What does Mama do after James gets the bird on the leg with his fork?
3. When Mama flips the quarter over in her hand what does James think Mama is thinking about?
4. What is the opening line of Chapter 7, who says it, and why?
5. What happens when James and Mama get back to the dentist's office?
6. How are the nights different now that Daddy is in the Army?
7. Why does the young man hope that all young black men are not like him?
8. Who finds out about James' toothache and what does this person do about it?
9. What does the man in the cafe do?
10. How does James know that Bayonne is "a hundred times smaller than Baton Rouge"?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)