|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James do beside Monsieur Bayonne?
(b) Lays down.
2. What did Mama give James to use for killing a bird?
(a) A shovel.
(b) A fork.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A stick.
3. What is the color of the school that James and his Mama pass while in the big city?
4. Who sleeps by the fireplace?
(a) Ty and James.
(b) Mama and Auntie.
(c) Val and Auntie.
5. Who is the protagonist of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does James do when he gets up in the morning?
2. What is the little boy's name that is waiting in the dentist office?
3. Why did Mama go over to the fence?
4. What is Mama wondering "bout the hog"?
5. While James and Mama are waiting for the bus in the beginning of Chapter 4 why does James keep his mouth shut instead of saying what he wants to say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice does Mama give James in Chapter 10?
2. Why did James pretend he was asleep?
3. Why does James close his eyes while he's walking with his Mama back to the dentist's office and what happens when he closes his eyes?
4. Why does James' mother jump up off the bench inside the dentist's office?
5. Who does James say he wants to be like when he grows up and what will he have?
6. What do Ty and James have for breakfast and what would Ty rather have?
7. What other thing does Monsieur Bayonne do besides praying to help James' jaw?
8. What does James think about when he looks up at his Mama while they are waiting in the dentist's office?
9. What kind of birds does James claim he has eaten?
10. Describe the sleeping arrangements in James' home.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)