|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mama do when James told her he couldn't kill the bird?
(a) She pulled his ears.
(b) She ran into the house to tell Auntie.
(c) She cried.
(d) She slapped him.
2. When Mama used to stay up late, where would the family sit?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) Out on the gallery or around the fire.
(c) On the floor.
(d) In the barn.
3. Who says, "not us to question" when the lady in the dentist's office wonders why children have to be in pain?
(a) The preacher.
(b) The nurse.
(c) The little boy.
(d) The dentist.
4. How long has James been hurting?
(a) Close to two months.
(b) Close to two weeks.
(c) Close to a month.
(d) Close to six months.
5. James can't ever be scared or can't ever what?
(a) Have a friend over.
(b) Leave the house.
(d) Ride a train.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the tip of Monsieur Bayonne's finger hard?
2. Why does James pretend that he is still asleep?
3. What kind of prayers does James claim he is saying?
4. What is Ty scared of?
5. What did the bird do when James reached in further to grab him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ty and James have for breakfast and what would Ty rather have?
2. What does Mama and Auntie decide to do with the left over fifty cents Mama will have?
3. Why can't James sleep and what does he do when he is lying awake?
4. What kind of things does Mama consider crybaby stuff according to James?
5. What does James see when he wakes up on the morning they are to go see the dentist?
6. What does James hear as he is walking to the cafe?
7. Why does James look at the nurse all pitiful?
8. Describe the scene where James is waiting.
9. When the young man starts talking about questioning everything what does the preacher do?
10. Why did James pretend he was asleep?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)