|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "I don't love him nothing"?
(a) The woman that offered a treat to James.
(d) The little girl on the bus.
2. What does Mama do when she is done eating in Chapter 3?
(a) She reads a story.
(b) She sings a song.
(c) She washes clothes.
(d) She goes to bed.
3. What is raising up from the water?
(c) Trees covered in kudzu.
4. What did the bird do when James reached in further to grab him?
(a) He lay down like he was dead.
(b) He "screamed" at James.
(c) He pecked James' hand.
(d) He flew away.
5. What did Mama do when James told her he couldn't kill the bird?
(a) She ran into the house to tell Auntie.
(b) She pulled his ears.
(c) She slapped him.
(d) She cried.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does James feel he had to kill the bird?
2. Who says in Chapter 3, "I can eat anything on it"?
3. Why is the tip of Monsieur Bayonne's finger hard?
4. What three things are on the sides of the long old road?
5. In Chapter 3, what does James do when he gets up in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama do when James pushes one of the cakes towards her after stating that he "can't eat all this"?
2. What kind of interaction do James and the girl have right before James gets off the bus?
3. Why does the young man hope that all young black men are not like him?
4. What are some of the things that James and his mother pass before they arrive at the dentist's office?
5. What does Mama suggest James kill the redbird with and what does she do when he doesn't want to kill the bird?
6. In Chapter 13, what does James think about to keep from getting cold?
7. What does Mama and Auntie decide to do with the left over fifty cents Mama will have?
8. What choice does Mama give James in Chapter 10?
9. When the preacher asks the young man about his parents, what does the young man tell the preacher?
10. Why can't James sleep and what does he do when he is lying awake?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)