|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the little boy's name that is waiting in the dentist office?
(a) John Lee.
(b) Lee Hollar.
(c) Jimmy John.
(d) John Joseph.
2. As he makes the sign on James' jaw, Monsieur Bayonne uses so much pressure that he almost pushes James over onto who?
(b) The dog.
3. What does James tell Auntie when she asks if something is wrong?
(a) James tells Auntie that Mama already knows.
(b) James tells Auntie that his arms are too long.
(c) James tells Auntie that no, nothing is wrong.
(d) James tells Auntie that his foot hurts.
4. What does Mama ask James to do while she pays the bus fare?
(a) Wait for her.
(b) Find their friends.
(c) Pick up some trash.
(d) Sit in the back.
5. What did Mama want James to do after she killed the bird?
(a) She wanted James to go inside and apologize.
(b) She wanted James to capture another bird.
(c) She wanted James to kill the second bird.
(d) She wanted James to say a prayer for the bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mama used to stay up late, where would the family sit?
2. What does James wonder if he can do to the thing he sees on the other side of the lilies?
3. Who told Monsieur Bayonne to come over?
4. What is James waiting for in Chapter 1?
5. What color is Mama's hat and coat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man in the cafe do?
2. Why does the young man hope that all young black men are not like him?
3. What type of people are waiting in the dentist's office?
4. Why does James think the little old lady must be crazy?
5. Why does James' mother jump up off the bench inside the dentist's office?
6. Where do Mama and James go to get warm and what does Mama do to make sure James has enough time to get warm?
7. What does James think about when he looks up at his Mama while they are waiting in the dentist's office?
8. What does James hear as he is walking to the cafe?
9. What does Helena tell Mama after Mama states that they "don't take no handout"?
10. What kind of interaction do James and the girl have right before James gets off the bus?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)