|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mama do when James told her he couldn't kill the bird?
(a) She ran into the house to tell Auntie.
(b) She cried.
(c) She slapped him.
(d) She pulled his ears.
2. While James and his Mama are waiting for the bus at the beginning of Chapter 4, what does James want to say?
(a) "Mama, I'm in pain".
(b) Swear words.
(c) "It ain't coming yet".
3. How much money will Mama have left over after paying for travel and cost of pulling a tooth?
(a) Twenty five cents.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Two dollars.
4. Where does James see the smoke coming out of while he is waiting in Chapter 1?
(a) A neighbor's fireplace.
(b) The cow's noses.
(c) The factory tower.
(d) A pile of burning leaves.
5. Who says in Chapter 3, "tomorrow we going to town"?
(c) Monsieur Bayonne.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does it cost to travel one way to get James' tooth pulled?
2. Why doesn't James want to open his mouth at night?
3. What does James tell Auntie when she asks if something is wrong?
4. Where is James when he is beside Monsieur Bayonne?
5. How much will it cost to have James' tooth pulled?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the young man starts talking about questioning everything what does the preacher do?
2. When the preacher asks the young man about his parents, what does the young man tell the preacher?
3. What are some of the things that James and his mother pass before they arrive at the dentist's office?
4. What kind of birds does James claim he has eaten?
5. Why can't James sleep and what does he do when he is lying awake?
6. Why does James close his eyes while he's walking with his Mama back to the dentist's office and what happens when he closes his eyes?
7. What does Mama and Auntie decide to do with the left over fifty cents Mama will have?
8. What does the preacher and the woman who is dressed like a nurse have a conversation about?
9. What other thing does Monsieur Bayonne do besides praying to help James' jaw?
10. What kind of interaction do James and the girl have right before James gets off the bus?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)