|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "things change through action. By no other way." while they wait in the dentist's office and speak to the lady in the sweater?
(a) The nurse.
(d) The boy with the book.
2. What does Mama say when James sniffs while they are walking in the cold?
(a) "Wipe your nose, son".
(b) "That rag".
(c) "It's too cold, right?".
3. When James and Mama get back to the dentist's office, what can't they do?
(a) Talk to the nurse.
(b) See the doctor.
(c) Smell smoke.
(d) Open the door.
4. What does James say when Mama asks him if he needs to make water?
(a) "No Ma'am".
(b) "Just a little".
(c) "I already went".
(d) "Yes, certainly".
5. What do James and Mama have to walk across to get to the café?
(a) A dusty road.
(b) A stream.
(c) A bridge.
(d) Railroad tracks.
6. Who says at the end of Chapter 8, "I haven't anything" after they state that they hope all young people aren't like them?
(b) The preacher.
(c) The nurse.
(d) The boy with the book.
7. What does Mama do when she gets out the handkerchief from beneath her coat at the cafe?
(a) She sneezes into it.
(b) She folds it up to put on the counter.
(c) She counts her money.
(d) She wipes her brow.
8. How many miles does James have to walk to school?
(a) Three and one half.
(d) One and one half.
9. What does the lady in the cafe put down on the counter?
(a) Warm milk and cookies.
(b) Ham and eggs.
(c) Bread and syrup.
(d) Cakes and a glass of milk.
10. What does James decide he's going to do in Chapter 11 so he can get his Mama a coat?
(a) Deliver mail.
(b) Pick cotton.
(c) Save money.
(d) Clean pig pens.
11. Why is the dentist's office waiting room full of smoke?
(a) Because there are two men smoking pipes.
(b) Because there is a fire burning in the empty field.
(c) Because there is a candle burning in every corner of the room.
(d) Because the fireplace is stopped up.
12. Who says, "I'm questioning the world" while waiting in the dentist's office after someone states that they are mad at the world?
(a) The preacher.
(b) The young black man with the book.
13. What does the boy with the book blame for the fact that he doesn't believe in God?
(a) That everything is evil in the world.
(b) That he was born too late.
(c) That the wait for the dentist is too long.
(d) That books are hard to read.
14. What color of sweater is the woman that is waiting in the dentist's office next to James and his Mama wearing under her black sweater?
15. Where does the young black man that is arguing with the preacher say his mom is?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) On a boat.
(c) At home in bed.
(d) In a graveyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the young black man waiting in the dentist's office holding?
2. What happens to James when he sees a coat while he and Mama walk past the boy in the brown coat and past the store windows?
3. What color of coat does James want to get for his Mama?
4. What store does Mama and James enter to get out of the cold?
5. Who says, "so now we the ignorant" after they were accused of believing in God because a man told them to believe in God?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)