|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 11, James states he can stand being what?
2. What does Mama do when she gets out the handkerchief from beneath her coat at the cafe?
(a) She wipes her brow.
(b) She folds it up to put on the counter.
(c) She sneezes into it.
(d) She counts her money.
3. What time is it on the clock that James sees at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Quarter to one.
(b) Quarter to twelve.
4. When James and Mama get back to the dentist's office, what can't they do?
(a) Open the door.
(b) See the doctor.
(c) Smell smoke.
(d) Talk to the nurse.
5. The nurse claims that the dentist will not see any more patients until what time?
(a) Three o'clock.
(b) One o'clock.
(d) Two o'clock.
6. How many people are in the café that Mama and James stop at?
7. Who says, "things change through action. By no other way." while they wait in the dentist's office and speak to the lady in the sweater?
(a) The boy with the book.
(c) The nurse.
8. What person in the cafe says, "some pimp"?
(b) The woman behind the counter.
(d) The little man.
9. What does James do when he feels something hit his cap?
(a) He throws his cap.
(b) He takes off his cap.
(c) He jumps.
(d) He looks up to the sky.
10. The sleet is hitting against the wall like what?
11. In Chapter 11, James states that his hands are so cold that he can't hold what?
(a) His cap.
(b) His handkerchief.
(c) His coat.
(d) An axe.
12. What does the boy with the book blame for the fact that he doesn't believe in God?
(a) That everything is evil in the world.
(b) That he was born too late.
(c) That books are hard to read.
(d) That the wait for the dentist is too long.
13. Why is the dentist's office waiting room full of smoke?
(a) Because there is a candle burning in every corner of the room.
(b) Because there is a fire burning in the empty field.
(c) Because there are two men smoking pipes.
(d) Because the fireplace is stopped up.
14. James explains to the reader in Chapter 10 that Mama doesn't like James to do what?
(a) Talk to himself.
(b) Walk too fast.
(c) Crybaby stuff.
(d) Wipe his nose.
15. While James and his Mama are walking, James said he'd be happy if it was what all the time?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James decide he's going to do in Chapter 11 so he can get his Mama a coat?
2. What is the young black man waiting in the dentist's office holding?
3. What does the young black man that is arguing with the preacher say about his Pa?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 11, James states that he can't stand being what?
5. Who says, "so now we the ignorant" after they were accused of believing in God because a man told them to believe in God?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)