|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama do with her money?
(a) She drops it.
(b) She puts it in her pocket.
(c) She stirs it around with her finger.
(d) She gives it to James.
2. Who says at the end of Chapter 8, "I haven't anything" after they state that they hope all young people aren't like them?
(a) The boy with the book.
(c) The nurse.
(d) The preacher.
3. How many miles does James have to walk to school?
(a) One and one half.
(c) Three and one half.
4. How many times does the preacher hit the boy?
(b) Three times.
5. What hits James' cap while he and Mama are walking outside?
(c) A twig.
(d) A leaf.
6. James explains to the reader in Chapter 10 that Mama doesn't like James to do what?
(a) Crybaby stuff.
(b) Talk to himself.
(c) Walk too fast.
(d) Wipe his nose.
7. When James and Mama get back to the dentist's office, what can't they do?
(a) See the doctor.
(b) Smell smoke.
(c) Open the door.
(d) Talk to the nurse.
8. What do James and Mama have to walk across to get to the café?
(a) Railroad tracks.
(b) A bridge.
(c) A dusty road.
(d) A stream.
9. After Mama and James leave the store and are walking at the end of Chapter 9, what does James try to prevent Mama from hearing?
(a) White people eating lunch.
(b) Men whistling.
(c) Dogs barking at them.
(d) His stomach growling.
10. How many people are in the café that Mama and James stop at?
11. At the beginning of Chapter 11, James says he knows they are going somewhere. Where are they going?
(b) To the place where the colored people eat.
(c) To the store again.
(d) To the bus station.
12. Who says, "I'm questioning the world" while waiting in the dentist's office after someone states that they are mad at the world?
(a) The young black man with the book.
(c) The preacher.
13. The preacher claims that because of what has happened to the young black man's mom and dad, the young man is what?
(c) Mad at the world.
(d) Sad and lonely.
14. What does James decide he's going to do in Chapter 11 so he can get his Mama a coat?
(a) Deliver mail.
(b) Pick cotton.
(c) Clean pig pens.
(d) Save money.
15. When James looks at his Mama at the beginning of Chapter 10, what does he want to do?
(a) Sing to her.
(b) Hug her.
(c) Stand close to her.
(d) Kiss her.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sleet is hitting against the wall like what?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 11, James states that he can't stand being what?
3. What does James hear as he and Mama are walking from the dentist's office for the second time?
4. Who says, "done forgot the heart absolutely" when someone else in the office suggests that men should listen to their heads and not their hearts?
5. What is the young black man waiting in the dentist's office holding?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)