|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color of overcoat does the little boy have on that James sees while he and Mama walk away from the dentist's office?
2. Where does the young black man that is arguing with the preacher say his mom is?
(a) On a boat.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) At home in bed.
(d) In a graveyard.
3. What does the young black man that is arguing with the preacher say about his Pa?
(a) That he is the dentist.
(b) That he lives down the street.
(c) That he is in the army.
(d) That he is dead.
4. What does the preacher say him and the young lady were talking about?
(a) The war.
(b) The dentist.
5. James explains to the reader in Chapter 10 that Mama doesn't like James to do what?
(a) Talk to himself.
(b) Wipe his nose.
(c) Crybaby stuff.
(d) Walk too fast.
6. When James looks at his Mama at the beginning of Chapter 10, what does he want to do?
(a) Sing to her.
(b) Hug her.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Stand close to her.
7. What time is it on the clock that James sees at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(b) Quarter to twelve.
(d) Quarter to one.
8. Who says, "so now we the ignorant" after they were accused of believing in God because a man told them to believe in God?
(b) The nurse.
(c) The preacher.
(d) The boy.
9. What does Mama ask James after they get back to the office in Chapter 10?
(a) If he is cold.
(b) If he wants to get his tooth pulled.
(c) If he's hungry.
(d) If he is ready to ride the bus.
10. What store does Mama and James enter to get out of the cold?
(a) Mike's fix-it shop.
(b) Arnold's grocer.
(c) Lee's tack and feed.
(d) David's hardware store.
11. At the end of Chapter 10, what can't James feel because he's so cold?
(a) His fingers.
(b) His nose.
(c) His whole face.
(d) His toes.
12. After Mama and James leave the store and are walking at the end of Chapter 9, what does James try to prevent Mama from hearing?
(a) Dogs barking at them.
(b) Men whistling.
(c) White people eating lunch.
(d) His stomach growling.
13. The nurse claims that the dentist will not see any more patients until what time?
(a) One o'clock.
(b) Three o'clock.
(c) Two o'clock.
14. How many times does the preacher hit the boy?
(d) Three times.
15. Who says, "I'm questioning the world" while waiting in the dentist's office after someone states that they are mad at the world?
(b) The preacher.
(d) The young black man with the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the dentist's office waiting room full of smoke?
2. What does the man in the cafe drop in the jukebox?
3. What does Mama say when James sniffs while they are walking in the cold?
4. What hits James' cap while he and Mama are walking outside?
5. In the opening of Chapter 10, what building does James see a clock on?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)