|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does James feel he had to kill the bird?
(a) Because Mama said so.
(b) Because the bird deserved it.
(c) Because he's afraid his Mama might have to leave just like his father and then he would be responsible for everyone.
(d) Because the bird was sick.
2. James tells the reader while he is watching the scenery outside that the river is what?
3. Who says, "I got girlfriends, too"?
(b) The busdriver.
(d) The dentist.
4. Who says in Chapter 3, "I can eat anything on it"?
5. James can't ever be scared or can't ever what?
(b) Have a friend over.
(c) Ride a train.
(d) Leave the house.
6. What is Mama wondering "bout the hog"?
(a) If he's going to get out.
(b) If she is going to have babies.
(c) If he's fat enough to eat.
(d) If he is rolling in the mud.
7. What did Mama do with what she brought back from the fence?
(a) She hit James with it across his back.
(b) She doesn't come back with anything.
(c) She gives it to James.
(d) She throws it at James.
8. One man tells another man in the dentist office that he thought he was hollering like what?
(a) A donkey being pulled along.
(b) A baby wanting milk.
(c) A train whistle.
(d) A pig under a gate.
9. What is James "go'n get out" to "wave it down"?
(a) His glove.
(b) Mama's hat.
(c) His coat.
(d) A handkerchief.
10. How much money will Mama have left over after paying for travel and cost of pulling a tooth?
(a) One dollar.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) Twenty five cents.
(d) Two dollars.
11. Who says, "not us to question" when the lady in the dentist's office wonders why children have to be in pain?
(a) The dentist.
(b) The nurse.
(c) The preacher.
(d) The little boy.
12. When someone stares down the long old road, they see nothing but what?
(b) Blue sky.
13. What did Mama want James to do after she killed the bird?
(a) She wanted James to kill the second bird.
(b) She wanted James to go inside and apologize.
(c) She wanted James to capture another bird.
(d) She wanted James to say a prayer for the bird.
14. Who sleeps by the fireplace?
(a) Mama and Auntie.
(b) Ty and James.
(c) Val and Auntie.
15. What does James pretend he's not scared of?
(a) His mama.
(b) Big men.
(d) The dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Monsieur Bayonne to come over?
2. How much does it cost to travel one way to get James' tooth pulled?
3. Who says, "I don't love him nothing"?
4. What was going to make Mama "mad again"?
5. At the end of Chapter 3 what was Mama doing at the fireplace?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)