|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't James say anything else to the girl on the bus?
(a) Because it hurts too bad.
(b) Because she has already gotten off.
(c) Because she won't listen to him.
(d) Because he doesn't want to bust her in the mouth.
2. What does Mama say when the lady asks if they are from Bayonne?
(a) "Down the river".
(b) "Probably not".
(c) "Who are you".
(d) "It doesn't matter".
3. Why doesn't James want to open his mouth at night?
(a) Because he might drool.
(b) Because a bug might fly in.
(c) Because it will let the wind in.
(d) Because it makes him snore.
4. Which dentist do the white people usually go to?
(a) Dr. Baird.
(b) Dr. Blinkly.
(c) Dr. Robillard.
(d) Dr. Roughin.
5. What did Mama want James to do after she killed the bird?
(a) She wanted James to say a prayer for the bird.
(b) She wanted James to kill the second bird.
(c) She wanted James to go inside and apologize.
(d) She wanted James to capture another bird.
6. What color coat does the girl have on that is sitting across from James on the bus?
7. What is Mama's name?
8. Who told Monsieur Bayonne to come over?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what does James take out when he sees the bus?
(a) His handkerchief.
(b) His hat.
(c) His money.
(d) His hands out of his pockets.
10. What is raising up from the water?
(d) Trees covered in kudzu.
11. What was James doing beside the trap while Mama was over by the fence?
(a) He was crying.
(b) He was trying to run away.
(c) He was trapping another bird.
(d) He was talking to Auntie.
12. What sign did Monsieur Bayonne make over James' jaw?
(a) A thumbs-up.
(b) A sorrowful sign.
(c) A prayer sign.
(d) The cross.
13. What did Mama do when James told her he couldn't kill the bird?
(a) She cried.
(b) She slapped him.
(c) She ran into the house to tell Auntie.
(d) She pulled his ears.
14. Who sleeps by the fireplace?
(b) Ty and James.
(c) Val and Auntie.
(d) Mama and Auntie.
15. Why does James pretend that he is still asleep?
(a) Because he doesn't want to eat breakfast.
(b) Because he doesn't Mama and Auntie to know he was listening to their conversation.
(c) Because he is afraid to get up.
(d) Because Auntie told him to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Mama's hat and coat?
2. James is the oldest and his Mama tells him he is what?
3. What is the color of the school that James and his Mama pass while in the big city?
4. What kind of animal did Monsieur Bayonne have outside that James and Ty were playing with?
5. What does James see in the shoe shop?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)