|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is all cracked in the city where James and Mama are?
(a) The dentist's office.
(b) The pavement.
(c) The train tracks.
(d) The post office.
2. What does James wonder if he can do to the thing he sees on the other side of the lilies?
(a) Hollar at it.
(b) Train it.
(c) Scare it.
(d) Eat it.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what does James take out when he sees the bus?
(a) His hat.
(b) His handkerchief.
(c) His hands out of his pockets.
(d) His money.
4. What three things are on the sides of the long old road?
(a) Weeds, trees, and fences.
(b) Weeds, Rocks, and cows.
(c) Fences, Weeds, and chickens.
(d) Cows, trees, and cats.
5. How many animals did Monsieur Bayonne have outside?
6. What is Mama wondering "bout the hog"?
(a) If he's fat enough to eat.
(b) If she is going to have babies.
(c) If he is rolling in the mud.
(d) If he's going to get out.
7. Who "knowed it was hurting me"?
8. James tells the reader while he is watching the scenery outside that the river is what?
9. What was James doing beside the trap while Mama was over by the fence?
(a) He was trapping another bird.
(b) He was crying.
(c) He was trying to run away.
(d) He was talking to Auntie.
10. What did the bird do when James reached in further to grab him?
(a) He lay down like he was dead.
(b) He flew away.
(c) He pecked James' hand.
(d) He "screamed" at James.
11. What does James tell Auntie when she asks if something is wrong?
(a) James tells Auntie that no, nothing is wrong.
(b) James tells Auntie that his foot hurts.
(c) James tells Auntie that Mama already knows.
(d) James tells Auntie that his arms are too long.
12. What is Ty scared of?
13. What hides the river as the bus goes around a turn?
(a) A house.
(c) A pasture.
14. What did Mama do when James told her he couldn't kill the bird?
(a) She cried.
(b) She ran into the house to tell Auntie.
(c) She pulled his ears.
(d) She slapped him.
15. While James and his Mama are waiting for the bus at the beginning of Chapter 4, what does James want to say?
(a) "It ain't coming yet".
(c) "Mama, I'm in pain".
(d) Swear words.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 3 what was Mama doing at the fireplace?
2. Why doesn't James say anything else to the girl on the bus?
3. What does the lady on the bus offer James?
4. Why did Mama go over to the fence?
5. What kind of prayers does James claim he is saying?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)