|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the town in the path of the Blackbird when it returned to Beale?
2. Where was test pilot Bill Park cruising in a Blackbird when his plane experienced an unstart?
3. When was the Blackbird retired?
4. How much water did the stealth ship displace?
5. What was broken when a Blackbird test pilot boomed Johnson's ranch in Santa Barbara?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shattered Dick Bissell's career?
2. Why did Rich hesitate to tell Johnson he had been offered a job at Northrop?
3. Why did Johnson believe the drones failed over China?
4. Why did the U.S. want to gain information about Lop Nor?
5. What was done to prepare the route for the truck that would carry the Blackbird to the test site?
6. What did the Skunk Works do to make the Blackbird even more safe?
7. What was done to win over the community of Susanville when they continually experienced the affects of sonic booms?
8. Why wasn't it possible to cut corners when building the Blackbird?
9. Where was a model of the stealth ship tested?
10. Why did Johnson call the F-111 a national scandal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the American people to the government, it was believed in the 1950s that the Soviets were a major military threat to the United States. Discuss why it was believed the Soviets were a military threat to the United States.
Essay Topic 2
Johnson had an unwritten rule to never do business with the Navy. Discuss why Johnson and Rich felt it was better to starve than do business with the Navy.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the Blackbird was a difficult plane to build, fly, and sell.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)