|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did islanders at Okinawa nickname the Blackbird?
2. When there were problems using the Blackbird to carry the drone, what plane was used instead?
3. In May 1962, how long did it take for a Blackbird to fly from Edwards Air Force Base outside Los Angeles to Orlando, Florida?
4. How much fuel did the Blackbird carry?
5. What was the cost for a stealth SWATH boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the most sensitive project Rich worked on at Skunk Works? The most sensitive project Rich ever worked on began in 1962 and had the code name Tagboard. The operation was to design spy drones to fly over Communist China's most remote and secret nuclear test facilities.
2. Why wasn't the Navy interested in the stealth ship?
3. When the stealth boat was being tested on the ocean, how were curious fishing boats and yachtsmen kept away?
4. Why did President Johnson authorize the Blackbird to overfly North Vietnam in May 1967?
5. Why did Johnson believe the drones failed over China?
6. Why did Northrop Aircraft Company offer Rich a job?
7. What was done to win over the community of Susanville when they continually experienced the affects of sonic booms?
8. Where was the drone built at Skunk Works?
9. What was done to prepare the route for the truck that would carry the Blackbird to the test site?
10. What type of problems might be encountered if the A-12 was made from titanium?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the technical and logistical problems involved in building the stealth fighter and how these problems were solved.
Essay Topic 2
The division Johnson and Rich headed up at Lockheed had an unusual name. Discuss the origins of Skunk Works and how Skunk Works got its name.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dangers and problems involved in building a hydrogen-fueled airplane and why Johnson had to cancel the project.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)