|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a night flight out of Turkey, how many fighters did the Soviets scramble against a U-2?
2. How much did it cost to build the facility where the U-2 was tested?
3. In Chapter 2, what type of a work week did the senior aerodynamicists, thermodynamicists, propulsion specialists, stress and structures, and weight engineers work to meet a deadline?
4. What was the temperature at 8 a.m. on an August day in 1979?
5. What type of missiles did the Marines have in August 1979?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Johnson split his days at Lockheed when Rich first started at Lockheed?
2. By 1954, for what design had Rich earned a patent?
3. Until Overholser discovered the Ufimtsev theory, what possibilities had been know to reduce an airplane's radar detection?
4. What happened during the first taxi test in the U-2?
5. How did the Air Force decide to use the F-117As?
6. Why did General Jones want the U-2 designation changed?
7. How did Rich manage his employees when he took over at the Skunk Works?
8. What was Rich told by experts in the field of liquid hydrogen?
9. How did the CIA finance the U-2?
10. What did Khrushchev demonstrate at the 1954 May Day parade that worried the United States about military defense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the first missions and capabilities of the F-117A.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the management styles of Rich and Johnson.
Essay Topic 3
When Skunk Works won the contract for the stealth fighter, there was an increase in secrecy and bureaucracy. Discuss the effect of secrecy and bureaucracy on the production of the stealth fighter.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)