|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Rich first work for Johnson?
2. How big was Building 82 where the first of the two Have Blue prototypes were built?
3. How many new workers were added at Skunk Works by Rich's third anniversary since taking over from Johnson?
4. When did Rich take charge of the Skunk Works?
5. What was the F-117A nicknamed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Francis Powers flew a U-2 mission on May 1, 1960?
2. What happened when the Skunk Works test pilot took up Major Whitley's F-117A?
3. What was the U-2 used for after the Powers tragedy?
4. Why did Major Al Whitley and his crew chiefs come to Skunk Works in February 1982?
5. By 1954, for what design had Rich earned a patent?
6. How did Skunk Works solve part of the problem where workers would leave pens, bolts, screws, or other objects inside an engine?
7. Why did General Jones want the U-2 designation changed?
8. What did Khrushchev demonstrate at the 1954 May Day parade that worried the United States about military defense?
9. How did Johnson begin his career at Lockheed?
10. How did the Air Force decide to use the F-117As?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The division Johnson and Rich headed up at Lockheed had an unusual name. Discuss the origins of Skunk Works and how Skunk Works got its name.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why and how Rich would have implemented cost-cutting methods in the aerospace industry.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the type of information the Blackbirds were able to procure and how it was used.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)