|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what building was Skunk Works housed when Rich first went to work there?
2. At what altitude did Skunk Works hope the U-2 would be able to fly?
3. What type of bombs did the F-117As use in Baghdad?
4. When was Powers released from the Soviet Union?
5. When was the best time for a test pilot to take off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the U-2 used for after the Powers tragedy?
2. How did bats provide the first visual proof the stealth really worked?
3. Why did General Jones want the U-2 designation changed?
4. How did the Air Force decide to use the F-117As?
5. By 1954, for what design had Rich earned a patent?
6. What happened when Francis Powers flew a U-2 mission on May 1, 1960?
7. Was Skunk Works able to make money on the F-117 stealth fighter?
8. Why did the CIA reject the idea of building a hydrogen airplane?
9. Why in Chapter 8 was Rich traveling around the country feeling like he was a secret agent?
10. What caused broken rubber seals inside engine valves and leaking pressure seals, and how did Skunk Works solve the problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether the U-2 was still able to be used after the Powers tragedy. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the type of information the Blackbirds were able to procure and how it was used.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the technical and logistical problems involved in building the stealth fighter and how these problems were solved.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)