|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many new airplanes were introduced in the 1950s?
2. What did islanders at Okinawa nickname the Blackbird?
(c) Black Mamba.
(d) Black Viper.
3. When did the Concord first fly?
(a) 4 years after the Blackbird.
(b) 7 years after the Blackbird.
(c) 9 years after the Blackbird.
(d) 5 years after the Blackbird.
4. What was broken when a Blackbird test pilot boomed Johnson's ranch in Santa Barbara?
(a) Windows in a tractor.
(b) Upper story windows.
(c) Car windows.
(d) A picture window.
5. How much fuel did the Blackbird consume in an hour?
(a) 7,500 gallons.
(b) About 5,000 gallons.
(c) About 8,000 gallons.
(d) 3,000 gallons.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the first mission to send drones over Lop Nor?
2. What did Rich say would be the surface heat on the fuselage of a plane that would fly at Mach 12?
3. When was the Blackbird retired?
4. How many operational sorties did the Blackbird fly over Vietnam and other hostile countries?
5. What was the code name of the most sensitive project during Rich's years at Skunk Works?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it easier in the past to get a project like the Blackbird project rolling?
2. What happened to a Blackbird flight pilot over West Virginia?
3. Why wasn't it possible to cut corners when building the Blackbird?
4. Why did Rich turn down a project to design a hypersonic airplane?
5. Why did Johnson believe the drones failed over China?
6. What type of problems might be encountered if the A-12 was made from titanium?
7. Why did Johnson call the F-111 a national scandal?
8. Why did Northrop Aircraft Company offer Rich a job?
9. Why did Rich hesitate to tell Johnson he had been offered a job at Northrop?
10. What shattered Dick Bissell's career?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)