|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Johnson win a Collier Trophy for the creation of the Blackbird?
2. Where was Lop Nor located?
(a) Near the border with Mongolia.
(b) Near the Pakistan border.
(c) Near the Tibetan border.
(d) Near the Burmese border.
3. When was the Blackbird retired?
4. How much fuel did the Blackbird carry?
(a) About 10,000 gallons.
(b) More than 20,000 gallons.
(c) More than 13,000 gallons.
(d) About 5,000 gallons.
5. How many Patriot missiles could be loaded on the SWATH boat?
6. In May 1962, how long did it take for a Blackbird to fly from Edwards Air Force Base outside Los Angeles to Orlando, Florida?
(a) 3 hours and 6 mintues.
(b) 4 hours and 53 minutes.
(c) 2 hours and 17 minutes.
(d) 1 hour and 28 minutes.
7. When did the Concord first fly?
(a) 7 years after the Blackbird.
(b) 9 years after the Blackbird.
(c) 5 years after the Blackbird.
(d) 4 years after the Blackbird.
8. Which of Johnson's operational rules at Skunk Works said it was better to starve than to do business with the Navy?
(a) Number 6.
(b) Number 15.
(c) Number 7.
(d) Number 9.
9. Where did the CIA purchase titanium?
(b) South Africa.
(c) Soviet Union.
10. At what temperature did aluminum lose its strength?
(a) 300 degrees.
(b) 900 degrees.
(c) 150 degrees.
(d) 500 degrees.
11. What metal was used to build the drone?
(c) Stainless steel.
12. How many feet per second could the Blackbird fly?
13. What was broken when a Blackbird test pilot boomed Johnson's ranch in Santa Barbara?
(a) A picture window.
(b) Windows in a tractor.
(c) Upper story windows.
(d) Car windows.
14. Who did Rich put in charge of building a model stealth ship at Skunk Works?
(a) Bill Park.
(b) Denys Overholser.
(c) Ugo Coty.
(d) Bill Perry.
15. What did it cost Northrop to build the B-2?
(a) $800 million.
(b) $500 million.
(c) $300 million.
(d) $700 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Johnson's wife Althea die in 1970?
2. During a typical three-to-five hour training exercise, how many sunrises might a Blackbird pilot witness?
3. When was the CIA ordered out of the spy plane business?
4. What vehicle passed too closely to a truck carrying the Blackbird?
5. Where was test pilot Bill Park cruising in a Blackbird when his plane experienced an unstart?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)