Chapter 1, A Promising Start
• Ben Rich, Lockheed chief, was in the Nevada desert in August 1979.
• Marines armed with ground-to-air Hawk missiles were attempting to score a "kill" against Rich's new airplane, an experimental prototype code-named Haven Blue.
• This steal fighter was supposed to be able to evade even the best radar.
• High security was used to test the plane, so most test grounds had no idea how the plane worked.
• No one knew that even the shape of the plane was designed to reflect radar beams.
• The plane was not detected by the radar operator, and the test was a success.
• In 1975 Rich had just been made boss of the Lockheed Skunk Works, one of the most secret facilities in North America during the cold war and a target of the Soviet Union in the event of nuclear war.
• The former chief of the Skunk Works, Kelly Johnson...
This section contains 4,705 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)