|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the catch in the belly dancer's assent to perform the Dance of the Seven Veils?
2. Where does the detective deposit Spoon after leaving the I & I?
3. What removes Ellen Cherry's feeling of guilt about sleeping with Spike?
4. What do Verlin and Patsy want to see while they're in New York?
5. What is the bumper sticker slogan that Ellen Cherry and Boomer sees as they are driving across the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Patsy's question concerning second marriage bother Buddy?
2. Painted Stick strikes a human in order to save Spoon from being picked up. Explain why he feels so bad about this.
3. Describe the statue Boomer is making in Jerusalem and comment on its significance.
4. Why do you think that Robbins ends the novel with Spoon?
5. Describe the group of objects in Ellen Cherry's underwear drawer.
6. Describe Ellen Cherry's feelings for Buddy after he tells her why he wants to destroy the Dome of Rock.
7. Throughout the novel so far, Ellen Cherry seems to be cosmically bound to the group of objects. As they try to escape, Buddy catches two of them. Which objects does he catch and is Buddy also cosmically connected to the objects? Why?
8. When Ultima and Ellen Cherry talk about art, Ultima says that some artists admit defeat and stop trying to be original. Ellen Cherry disagrees with this and says artists always strive for originality. Why do you think this conversation inspires her to begin painting again?
9. What is Uncle Buddy's reasoning for attempting to blow up the Dome of the Rock?
10. What is the effect of the high definition TV that Spike gave to the I & I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider Robbins' unique style. How do you describe it? What do you think it allows him to do that a more traditional style prevents? Analyze at least three specific examples to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Over the course of this novel, Ellen Cherry undergoes many personal changes. When we first meet her, she is an artist. Soon, however, she is married and struggling both with her art and her marriage. Ultimately, she seems to come to terms with both. How does she manage to do this? In what ways does Ellen Cherry change and grow as a person throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the character of Turn Around Norman - if indeed we can call him a character. We certainly don't know much about him. We know that he is a street performer who moves in a circle so slowly that his motion can't be perceived. In this way, he mimics what we typically think of as inanimate objects. He is there every day to perform without fail, until Buddy basically pushes him out. Why does Ellen Cherry consider him the only real artist in New York City? Why do the objects become attached to him? Why do you think he's in this novel?
This section contains 1,628 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)