|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is left behind, never to leave the church?
2. Who warns Ellen Cherry about the probable result of destroying the Dome of the Rock?
3. Who hears Spike and Ellen Cherry after hours in the I &I?
4. What part of the belly dancer's body represents the first veil that is removed in her Dance of the Seven Veils?
5. What is the band member's other talent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appeal of the belly dancer, Salome, to the male audience.
2. Explain the final revelation evoked by The Dance of the Seven Veils.
3. Ellen Cherry is clearly upset by the disappearance of Spoon. Explain how you think she feels.
4. Without art and without Boomer, Ellen Cherry is beginning to feel that life is meaningless. What do you think Robbins is saying about the relationship between the meaning we give our lives and our endeavors and/or relationships?
5. Throughout the novel so far, Ellen Cherry seems to be cosmically bound to the group of objects. As they try to escape, Buddy catches two of them. Which objects does he catch and is Buddy also cosmically connected to the objects? Why?
6. Painted Stick strikes a human in order to save Spoon from being picked up. Explain why he feels so bad about this.
7. Describe the statue Boomer is making in Jerusalem and comment on its significance.
8. What is the effect of the high definition TV that Spike gave to the I & I?
9. What is Uncle Buddy's reasoning for attempting to blow up the Dome of the Rock?
10. Describe what happens to Ellen Cherry when she plays the eye game looking at Spoon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A lot of time is spent in this novel considering the role of perception on reality. What relationship does the novel suggest exists between an individual's perception or interpretation and reality or truth? Cite at least three specific examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the contrast the two radically different political positions represented by Spike and Abu on the one hand and Buddy on the other. What do they each think about the conflict in the middle east? How do their ideas, both about it's background and the best possible resolution to the conflict, differ? Consider the problem or issue of interpretation in history.
Essay Topic 3
All the objects, except Can 'o Beans, are given a gender. Provide an analysis of the objects in terms of gender and consider why Can 'o Beans is left genderless. What qualities do each object represent? Are these characteristics typically associated with the gender that object is assigned?
This section contains 1,528 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)