|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of a stand does Roland Abu Hadee open?
(d) Hot dog.
2. What does Boomer look for that he then realizes he and Ellen Cherry leave in the cave?
(a) Dirty sock.
(b) Painted Stick.
(d) Can 'o Beans.
3. What does Can 'o Beans identify as one of the major causes of mental illness in human beings?
(a) Inability to recognize the life of inanimate objects.
(c) Imprecise speech.
4. What is Boomer Petway's trade?
(b) Auto mechanic.
5. What about Buddy attracts Ellen Cherry?
(a) His mouth.
(b) His voice.
(c) His hands.
(d) His clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Painted Stick and Conch Shell know Jezebel?
2. What is the third veil?
3. What does Ellen Cherry Charles do while she and Boomer Petway are in the rodeo town near Idaho?
4. What new piece of art does Boomer create?
5. Who brings the Airstream turkey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Boomer turn an airstream into a Turkey?
2. Describe why Boomer says he feels guilty about his success as an artist.
3. Describe Abu Hadee's history, as it's recounted in "The Fourth Veil"?
4. At the end of this section, Buddy avoids getting a speeding ticket by using his saxophone voice and preaching to the police officer. Is this realistic and why do you think Robbins includes it in the story?
5. Verlin, Patsy, and Buddy go to see a "miracle", which turns out to be nothing more than a shadow on a freezer. What does an incident like this seem to say about people's relationship to religion and mystery? Does it cast a reflection on Buddy's miracle?
6. What are the the origins of Spike Cohen's foot fetish?
7. Explain the symbolism of the I & I.
8. Describe Turn Around Norman's Activity. How is it important in the novel?
9. What does Robbins say about religion at the end of the Fourth Veil?
10. All of the objects are given a gender except Can 'o Beans. Why is this significant?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)