|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sleeps with Buddy?
(c) Patsy's sister.
(d) Ellen Cherry.
2. What does Ellen Cherry want to paint after she finishes painting mountains?
(a) The firey resudue of blasted unicorn hooves in a volcano.
(b) Grotesque sinews of a bull carcase.
(c) A neon fox tongue licking up the powdered dust of angel bones.
(d) A farm.
3. Who destroys the temple?
4. What is Boomer Petway's trade?
(b) Auto mechanic.
5. What does Ellen Cherry do while she watches Turn Around Norman?
(a) Sits completely still.
(b) Always stands behind him.
(c) Touches him lightly on the hand.
(d) Always stands in front of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boomer sells one of his sculptures on the condition that he has to go where to assemble it?
2. What does Ellen Cherry say is the problem with New York artists?
3. What happens to Spoon?
4. What do Conch Shell and Painted Stick say happens after the Second Coming?
5. What is the fifth veil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think that Ellen Cherry covers a nude portrait of Boomer with tongues?
2. The fifth veil has to do with removing the illusion of the value of money. Is money's value really an illusion? Explain why or why not.
3. Why does Boomer turn an airstream into a Turkey?
4. Do you see any irony in Salome's determination only to do the Dance of the Seven Veils if she can have John the Baptist's head on a platter? Why or why not?
5. Patsy suspects Buddy of seeking fame and fortune through his preaching. Does this seem likely to you, based on what you know so far about Buddy?
6. Explain the symbolism of the I & I.
7. One of Abu Hadee's favorite quotes is "A shadow does not belong to the object that casts it." What do you think of the significance of this? How does it relate to the rest of the novel so far?
8. When Buddy goes to answer a knock at his door, he has an erection from reading about a Christian wife who goes to bed with her make-up on. What does this incident tell us about Buddy?
9. At the end of this section, Buddy avoids getting a speeding ticket by using his saxophone voice and preaching to the police officer. Is this realistic and why do you think Robbins includes it in the story?
10. Why do you think that Ellen Cherry wants Boomer to call her "Jezebel" when they are intimate?
This section contains 1,357 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)