|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the houseboat the Richard sees at the end of Chapter 12?
2. In Chapter 13, what color has Malley died her hair?
3. What type of boat does Richard see going by in Chapter 12 as he goes to rescue Malley?
4. What does Skink have crammed in his empty eye socket at the beginning of Chapter 16?
5. In Chapter 11, what does Richard say he saw a man run from on the sixteenth fairway of the golf course?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gear is lost with the canoe?
2. What happens to the canoe in Chapter 11?
3. What does Malley tell her parents when she calls them from a pay phone in Chapter 20?
4. What do Richard and Malley buy at a Tom Thumb store in Chapter 20?
5. What is the man like that Richard hitches a boat ride with in Chapter 12?
6. Why does Tommy say he took Corporal Chock's name?
7. Why does Richard say that his stepfather is not a total wimp?
8. Why does Richard not use bug repellant in Chapter 12?
9. What does Richard sees when he first views the houseboat?
10. What is the weather like shortly after Skink arrives on the houseboat in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Malley mentions the ivory-billed woodpecker in one of her phone conversations with Richard. Why is mentioning the bird important to the search for Malley, and what does the bird symbolize when it is seen?
Essay Topic 2
Richard refers to Skink as his grandfather several times. What type of relationship develops between Richard and Skink, and in what way does Skink serve as a grandfather to Richard?
Essay Topic 3
Richard is conflicted over whether to tell his mother and Malley’s parents that she did not go to boarding school. Why is Richard conflicted over that decision, and why does he finally decide to tell? What does this reveal about his character?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)