|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who texts Richard while he is waiting for Malley in Chapter 1?
2. What is the first song that plays on the CD Richard feeds into the slot on the car stereo in Chapter 6?
3. Where is the boarding school Malley is going to attend?
4. In Chapter 1, how long does Richard say it has been since his father died?
5. What does Skink pick up off the road after he and Richard have been driving a while in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Richard's mom and his Uncle Dan do as an effort to get information about Malley's whereabouts?
2. Who does Richard find out that Talbo Chock really was?
3. How does Skink get supper on the first day that he and Richard are traveling to find Malley in Chapter 6?
4. When Richard catches up with Skink in Chapter 5, what does Skink want him to do?
5. What does Richard pack to take on his trip with Skink in Chapter 6?
6. How and where do turtles lay their eggs?
7. What happens when Richard is stopped by the Highway Patrol while he is driving in Chapter 9?
8. According to Malley, who is Talbo Chock?
9. What does the man look like that Richard finds hiding in a sand mound in Chapter 1?
10. What do the police discover when they start looking for Malley in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Malley mentions the ivory-billed woodpecker in one of her phone conversations with Richard. Why is mentioning the bird important to the search for Malley, and what does the bird symbolize when it is seen?
Essay Topic 2
Malley threatens to tell Richard’s mother about something he did. Why does she threaten to tell what Richard did, and why is Richard so concerned that Malley will tell his mother that he hesitates to share that Malley is missing? What does this reveal about both Malley and Richard's characters?
Essay Topic 3
Deductive reasoning is used by Richard and Skink to find Malley. How do they use deductive reasoning, and how is that type of reasoning used to find Malley?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)