|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Chandler given up?
(a) Finding Billy.
(b) Killing Sherman.
(c) Blackmailing Billy.
(d) Blackmailing Joanna.
2. After Chandler talks about his diamonds, what does Joanna think?
(a) That he is just saying "his diamonds" to give her a hard time.
(b) That he never intended to share them.
(c) That he will have to have an accident.
(d) That saying "his diamonds" was just a slip of the tongue.
3. Where does Chee manage to get Cowboy Dashee?
(a) To the pool beside the Salt Woman Shrine.
(b) A few feet futher down into the canyon to await a helicopter.
(c) To the side of the trail where there is a flat area for a helicopter.
(d) Most of the way up the canyon to a ledge for the helicopter.
4. What do the indications of the thunderclouds foreshadow?
(a) The cave will be so dark they will have to wait to explore further.
(b) The rain will wash Joanna's body downstream.
(d) Rain and eventual flooding.
5. Why does Bernie start exploring?
(a) She hears a sound in the brush.
(b) She becomes intrigued by the natural beauty around the area.
(c) She sees a man on a ledge.
(d) She hears someone whistling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bernie know how to use the pistol?
2. What else comes out of the cave/slot?
3. What is Chandler planning as he spots Joanna?
4. What does Bernie do while hiding from Chandler and Joanna?
5. Who knows that Billy is with Sherman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hillerman use Bernie for and why?
2. What seems incongruous about Bernie avoiding looking at the shaman?
3. What do you think may be Chandler's ultimate end in this saga?
4. What does Chee find that probably points to future events?
5. What do you think is the purpose in Chapter 15 of the narrator reiterating many facts already known to the reader?
6. When the old Hopi woman warns Bernie that she shouldn't be there, the woman then warms up to her; why do you think this is?
7. Why do you think Chandler gives Joanne back the arm bone of her father?
8. Why do you think Joanna avoids the violent death that may be awaiting Chandler at the hand of the water?
9. How does Chandler unconsciously give away his intentions in the scene where he and Joanna discover the snuff cans?
10. How does Hillerman emphasize his attitude towards the "white man"?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)