|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does it appear that Bernie climbs?
(a) Up a slope to the entrance of very narrow slot canyon.
(b) Up a tree, probably to escape the mountain lion.
(c) Into a deep cavern.
(d) Chee is not sure.
2. Who else does Chandler see observing him?
(a) The Hopi old woman.
(b) The FBI in their own helicopter.
(c) Someone with binoculars.
(d) Joe Leaphorn coming down a mule trail.
3. What is the first thing Bernie sees as she looks in the cave/rain slot?
(a) Joanna's corpse.
(b) A pile of diamonds.
(c) The mummified remains of the Shaman.
(d) A small campfire.
4. What is a violation of FAA law?
(a) Landing a helicopter within a thousand feet of a sacred monument.
(b) Landing on the canyon floor.
(c) Landing a helicopter at the Phoenix airport.
(d) Flying a helicopter over sacred Hopi lands.
5. What does Joanna ask Chandler to do?
(a) To call the helicopter which dropped him in the canyon.
(b) Stop treating her father's arm so disrespectfully.
(c) To look around and make sure the noise she hears is nothing.
(d) To take the diamonds and leave her the gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is important enough about the case to attract the FBI?
2. Who does Bernie see cooling his feet in the river?
3. What are other significant finds that Bernie makes?
4. On what errand does Chandler send Joanna?
5. Why is Bernie told she should not be there?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hillerman emphasize his attitude towards the "white man"?
2. What do you think Joanna's decision to continue down to the canyon floor indicates?
3. How does Chandler unconsciously give away his intentions in the scene where he and Joanna discover the snuff cans?
4. What could be a more sinister reason for Chandler giving Joanne back the arm bone of her father?
5. After Joanna passes Chandler's hiding place, he calmly confronts her--why do you think she is so careless after having spotted Chandler on the canyon floor earlier?
6. Why do you think Cowboy Dashee is part of this story since it seems he did not contribute much in previous chapters and he is now out of the story because of his ankle?
7. In Chapter 16, the reader learns more about the Hopi legend of the Skeleton Man, for which the book is named; what is this legend?
8. What theme seems to come to fruition in this chapter?
9. Why do you think Joanna avoids the violent death that may be awaiting Chandler at the hand of the water?
10. Do you think the scene of Bernie finding the diamonds and arm is anti-climatic and why?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)