|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is prohibited in the Park Service boundaries?
(c) Non-domesticated farm animals.
2. Who leads Joanna down the most dangerous part of the trail and leaves her some water?
(b) Billy Tuve.
3. Why doesn't Cowboy need any more water?
(a) He is sitting by a pool of water.
(b) Because he filled up before starting down the canyon.
(c) Because it's about to pour down rain.
(d) It is not very warm that day.
4. Who knows that Billy is with Sherman?
(a) Only Joe Leaphorn.
(b) Everyone in Chee's group.
(c) Only Joanna.
(d) No one.
5. What does she decide about Joanna and Chandler?
(a) They are lost tourists.
(b) They will take the diamonds and leave shortly.
(c) They are armed and dangerous.
(d) They do not know where they are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chandler do when Joanna passes his hiding place?
2. Why does Bernie start exploring?
3. What do the two woman hear as they ease off the ledge?
4. What is important enough about the case to attract the FBI?
5. Why does Chandler not grasp the branch with both hands to save himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might be the implications of Bernie and Chee's relationship from the way they are interacting at the end of Chapter 28?
2. After Joanna passes Chandler's hiding place, he calmly confronts her--why do you think she is so careless after having spotted Chandler on the canyon floor earlier?
3. What do you think is the purpose in Chapter 15 of the narrator reiterating many facts already known to the reader?
4. What so you think is the significance in the different responses to the shaman's body between that of Chandler and Joanna?
5. In Chapter 18, the Arizona death penalty is again mentioned as a reason to make a murder look accidental; does this seem like something a criminal would really be thinking?
6. What do you think may be Chandler's ultimate end in this saga?
7. Why do you think Hillerman has Tuve disappear?
8. Do you think the scene of Bernie finding the diamonds and arm is anti-climatic and why?
9. How is Bernie's assurance about Chandler highly ironic in the scheme of the history of Native Americans?
10. Do you see any difference between Chandler and Joanna at this point; after all, she agrees to a "partnership" with him?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)