|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joanna encounter as she is walking up the slope?
(a) Chee and Joe.
(b) Bernie walking down.
(c) Billy Tuve.
(d) The old Hopi woman.
2. What does the old shaman who lives on the side of the canyon claim?
(a) To be Matwa.
(b) To have lots of diamonds.
(c) To speak to Hopi ancestors.
(d) To know all Hopi.
3. When Chandler tells Joanna she can have the arm if he can have the diamonds, what is her reply?
(a) She wants her share of the diamonds, too.
(b) She does not care about the diamnods; she just wants the arm.
(c) She would like just a couple diamonds to pay for this trip.
(d) She knew he was a double-crossing thief.
4. What is an accurate word to describe Chandler?
5. About what is Chee thinking when he notices the water pouring out of the slot?
(a) The way the Colorado river has cut some many channels into hard rock.
(b) If Cowboy is safe from the rushing water.
(c) How he wishes he had gone apartment hunting after all.
(d) The fate of Bernie.
6. For whom is Chee searching?
(d) The old shaman.
7. What does Chandler do when Joanna passes his hiding place?
(a) He knocks her out with a rock.
(b) He trips her and she falls the rest of the way down the trail.
(c) He calmly confronts her.
(d) He shoots her.
8. What is a violation of FAA law?
(a) Landing on the canyon floor.
(b) Flying a helicopter over sacred Hopi lands.
(c) Landing a helicopter within a thousand feet of a sacred monument.
(d) Landing a helicopter at the Phoenix airport.
9. What is important enough about the case to attract the FBI?
(a) Sherman's death.
(b) Joanna's father's arm.
(c) Plymale's involvment.
(d) The diamonds and the court battle they entail.
10. What does the Shaman preach?
(a) The preference of death over life in an ugly world.
(b) That all who choose death live.
(c) That the life of one is the same as all.
(d) The victory of life over death in a spirit battle.
11. Where does it appear that Bernie climbs?
(a) Up a tree, probably to escape the mountain lion.
(b) Up a slope to the entrance of very narrow slot canyon.
(c) Into a deep cavern.
(d) Chee is not sure.
12. Who does Joanna think the man she sees in her field glasses is?
(b) The shaman.
(c) Billy's uncle.
(d) Chee or Jim.
13. What does Chandler surmise about Joanna?
(a) She probably killed Billy Tuve.
(b) She is probably not alone.
(c) She is too timid to use her gun.
(d) She must be the one who shot Sherman and likely has a gun.
14. What concerns Chee as he is following Bernie's tracks?
(a) Whether he'll be able to follow them on the bare rockface.
(b) There are mountain lion tracks on the trail.
(c) There are two other sets of tracks on the same trail.
(d) There is a fresh track obviously made by a huge man.
15. Who does Bernie see cooling his feet in the river?
(a) A large, blonde man.
(b) An old man.
(c) Chee and Jim.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chandler not grasp the branch with both hands to save himself?
2. What does Chandler admonish Joanna to do?
3. What does Chandler admit?
4. How does Bernie reassure Joanna?
5. What are the two sets of tracks that Chee finds?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)