|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the indications of the thunderclouds foreshadow?
(a) The rain will wash Joanna's body downstream.
(b) Rain and eventual flooding.
(d) The cave will be so dark they will have to wait to explore further.
2. What is Chandler planning as he spots Joanna?
(a) To hold her hostage to force Billy to talk to him.
(b) How to make her murder look like an accident.
(c) To give her half the diamonds if she will leave the canyon.
(d) How to tortue information out of her.
3. For what else does Bernie ask?
(a) A flare from their pack to notify the rangers.
(b) Their permit to be in the canyon without a guide.
(c) Their cooperation.
(d) A drink from their canteen.
4. What is a violation of FAA law?
(a) Landing a helicopter at the Phoenix airport.
(b) Landing on the canyon floor.
(c) Flying a helicopter over sacred Hopi lands.
(d) Landing a helicopter within a thousand feet of a sacred monument.
5. What does Bernie ask Joanna?
(a) About why they are in this cave.
(b) About having a gun.
(c) If Joanna is with the man voluntarily.
(d) About who the man with her is.
6. At whom is Chee staring?
(a) Joe Leapman.
(c) Cowboy Dashee.
7. What is important enough about the case to attract the FBI?
(a) Plymale's involvment.
(b) The diamonds and the court battle they entail.
(c) Sherman's death.
(d) Joanna's father's arm.
8. After Chandler talks about his diamonds, what does Joanna think?
(a) That he will have to have an accident.
(b) That he is just saying "his diamonds" to give her a hard time.
(c) That saying "his diamonds" was just a slip of the tongue.
(d) That he never intended to share them.
9. Who does Joanna spot on the canyon floor by the river?
(a) Bernie and Mary.
(b) Chee and Jim.
10. Where is Bernie going after finding the stuff in the cave?
(a) To get Chee and Cowboy.
(b) To find the old Hopi woman.
(c) To mark the slot entrance in order to find it again.
(d) To call the Park Service.
11. Why is Bernie so excited about her find?
(a) It is stuff that will clear Billy Tuve.
(b) She knows Joanna is looking for the arm of her father.
(c) She thinks the money from the diamonds will help the Hopi.
(d) She will be very wealthy.
12. Why does Bernie start exploring?
(a) She hears someone whistling.
(b) She becomes intrigued by the natural beauty around the area.
(c) She sees a man on a ledge.
(d) She hears a sound in the brush.
13. Why is Bernie told she should not be there?
(a) Because there are some bad men around.
(b) Because a cougar is stalking her.
(c) Because she looks Navajo and this is Hopi land.
(d) Because she is white.
14. What does Bernie say that allays the old woman's fears?
(a) That she is half Hopi.
(b) That she was invited there by a Hopi.
(c) That she is lost and is about to leave.
(d) That her grandmother is Hopi.
15. Why does Chee call the Park Service?
(a) To tell them they have found a body.
(b) To ascertain their position.
(c) To tell them they will not be climbing out that day as planned.
(d) For a rescue helicopter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bernie and Joanna find refuge from the flood?
2. Who abandons Joanna?
3. What do Chandler and Joanna think happened to the Shaman?
4. Why does Chandler not grasp the branch with both hands to save himself?
5. What does Joanna try to convince Chandler to do?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)