|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joanna encounter as she is walking up the slope?
(a) Chee and Joe.
(b) The old Hopi woman.
(c) Billy Tuve.
(d) Bernie walking down.
2. How does Chandler get to the floor of the canyon?
(b) On an ATV.
(c) By helicopter.
(d) By mule.
3. Why is Joanna reluctant to climb off the ledge when Bernie thinks it is safe?
(a) She is afraid of heights.
(b) She can't swim.
(c) She still sees water on the floor.
(d) She is afraid of Chandler.
4. Who does Bernie see holding the arm and gun?
(c) Chandler has the gun; Joanna has the arm.
(d) Neither has the arm; it is still lying by the snuff cans.
5. Why does Bernie know how to use the pistol?
(a) She served in the Army branch of the military police.
(b) She just got certified to carry a concealed weapon.
(c) She learned shooting from her grandfather.
(d) She says she is a policewoman.
6. What does Bernie do while hiding from Chandler and Joanna?
(a) Speculates about the case Joe Leaphorn discussed.
(b) Thinks about the thunderclouds.
(c) Meditates to grow fearless.
(d) Tries to radio Chee.
7. What does Bernie demand?
(a) That they leave immediately.
(b) That they get what they want and wait there for the helicopter.
(c) That they surrender the firearms.
(d) That they go out of the cave where she can check them out.
8. What does Bernie say that allays the old woman's fears?
(a) That she is lost and is about to leave.
(b) That she was invited there by a Hopi.
(c) That she is half Hopi.
(d) That her grandmother is Hopi.
9. After Chandler talks about his diamonds, what does Joanna think?
(a) That he will have to have an accident.
(b) That he never intended to share them.
(c) That he is just saying "his diamonds" to give her a hard time.
(d) That saying "his diamonds" was just a slip of the tongue.
10. Who does Joanna think the man she sees in her field glasses is?
(a) The shaman.
(b) Chee or Jim.
(d) Billy's uncle.
11. For whom is Chee searching?
(d) The old shaman.
12. On what errand does Chandler send Joanna?
(a) To go outside and check the weather.
(b) To find the third person in the cave.
(c) To find something in which to collect all the diamonds.
(d) To count the diamonds.
13. Who else does Chandler see observing him?
(a) Joe Leaphorn coming down a mule trail.
(b) Someone with binoculars.
(c) The FBI in their own helicopter.
(d) The Hopi old woman.
14. Where do Bernie and Joanna find refuge from the flood?
(a) On the ledge where the shaman slept.
(b) Outside the cave.
(c) It does not rain enough to flood.
(d) Up the slope further.
15. Who is waiting when Bernie returns to where she was to stay?
(a) An old Hopi woman.
(b) Chee and Jim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is important enough about the case to attract the FBI?
2. What concerns Chee as he is following Bernie's tracks?
3. What does Chandler admonish Joanna to do?
4. What is prohibited in the Park Service boundaries?
5. Where is Bernie assigned to stay?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)