|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal in the story starts the whole cycle of change?
2. What does Joanna do when she observes Billy get in a car with someone and leave?
(a) Goes back to town.
(b) Gets out her pistol and follows them.
(c) Calls Joe Leaphorn.
(d) Calls 911.
3. Who tells a story to support Joe's theory?
(a) Billy Tuve.
(b) Sam Pinto.
(c) Joe Running Brave.
(d) Chief Joseph Brown.
4. What do both Jim and Chee question about Joanna's purse?
(a) Why it was so tiny as to hold almost nothing.
(b) Who did the ornate beadwork.
(c) How someone could carry an animal pelt as a bag.
(d) Why it is so heavy.
5. What does Plymale want Chandler to do?
(a) Kill Joanna Craig.
(b) Kill Billy Tuve.
(c) Find the rest of the diamonds.
(d) Find Joe Clarke's left arm.
6. Who is Bernadette Manuelito?
(a) Graduated from the Tribal Police Academy, worked for Jim Chee whom she expects to marry soon, and did a short stint with the U.S. Border Patrol.
(b) Worked for Joe Leaphorn for almost 25 years.
(c) Graduated from the Tribal Police Academy, worked for Joe Leaphorn whom she expects to marry soon, and did a short stint with the U.S. Border Patrol.
(d) Was the dispatcher for the Tribal Police Academy and played on their police softball team.
7. What does Chandler figure will happen to Plymale if Joanna's lineage is irrefutably proven?
(b) He would be forced to kill Joanna.
(c) He would have a long court battle.
(d) He would likely face criminal charges as well as lose his fortune if Joanna finds the arm.
8. What is Brad Chandler doing?
(a) He is driving to Santa Fe to make contact with his employer.
(b) He is at the canyon rim, reviewing his preparations.
(c) He is tailing Joanna.
(d) He is heading down into the canyon on a copter.
9. What does Chandler have to do with Seattle?
(a) He is the suspect in an unsolved homicide in Seattle.
(b) His daughter goes to a boarding school there.
(c) He was raised in Seattle.
(d) His family's comglomerate is there.
10. Why is Louisa Berbonette going to the canyon floor?
(a) She is meeting Joe there to by one of his horses.
(b) She wants to study the rock layers that make up the canyon wall.
(c) To capture the oral traditions the older Havasupai living there.
(d) She is going to scale a cliff that starts at the canyon floor.
11. With whom does Joe just have a long conversation?
12. What case has recently been solved?
(a) The skeleton woman.
(b) The diamond heist of 1949.
(c) The mummy man.
(d) The skeleton man.
13. Why is Joe Leaphorn restless?
(a) He hasn't been sleeping well lately.
(b) He has no new case to solve.
(c) He drank way too much coffee.
(d) He just retired from the Navajo Police Force
14. About what do the three men educate Joanna?
(a) A general layout of the area.
(b) Native traditions and rituals.
(c) The danger of rattlers and scorpians.
(d) The danger of sudden rainstorms.
15. What does Plymale say about Joanna Craig?
(a) That she is determined to bring Playmale down.
(b) That she is trouble.
(c) That she is a pyschic and her deceased father has spoken to her.
(d) That he could not buy her off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to get Joanna's mother to abort Joanna and accept money?
2. What about Jim Chee does Bernadette Manuelito remember?
3. Who do many people in the canyon area speculate the old man is who found the diamond case?
4. What upsets Joe about Shorty's death?
5. Where is Billy?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)