|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bernie want to do?
(a) Have Billy stay with her for the time being.
(b) Go with Chee and Cowboy.
(c) Go look for apartments and wants Chee to go with her instead of Cowboy.
(d) Go talk to Joanna woman to woman.
2. What does Joanna do when she observes Billy get in a car with someone and leave?
(a) Calls Joe Leaphorn.
(b) Calls 911.
(c) Goes back to town.
(d) Gets out her pistol and follows them.
3. What does Louisa tell Joe that he should have thought about himself?
(a) That the Hopi tribe on the canyon floor are unwilling to produce the shaman.
(b) That Joanna's father is the one whose arm is handcuffed to the briefcase.
(c) That Chee and Jim are now involved in the case.
(d) To check when Billy has his intitiation rites to know when he met the shaman.
4. What is Brad Chandler doing?
(a) He is tailing Joanna.
(b) He is at the canyon rim, reviewing his preparations.
(c) He is driving to Santa Fe to make contact with his employer.
(d) He is heading down into the canyon on a copter.
5. About what do the three men educate Joanna?
(a) The danger of rattlers and scorpians.
(b) Native traditions and rituals.
(c) The danger of sudden rainstorms.
(d) A general layout of the area.
6. Where are Chee and Bernie meeting the others?
(a) The canyon floor.
(b) Joanna's hotel room.
(c) The jail.
(d) Tuba City.
7. What do both Jim and Chee question about Joanna's purse?
(a) Why it was so tiny as to hold almost nothing.
(b) Why it is so heavy.
(c) How someone could carry an animal pelt as a bag.
(d) Who did the ornate beadwork.
8. Where is Billy?
(a) He is with Joanna.
(b) He escapes from jail.
(c) He left New Mexico for Arizona.
(d) He left with a stranger earlier that morning.
9. What does Chandler pull out of a shaving cream container?
(a) A walkie talkie.
(b) A razor.
(c) Two bullets.
(d) A .22 pistol.
10. What has Louisa been doing on the canyon floor?
(a) Recording the oral histories of members of the Havasupai Tribe there for several days.
(b) Studying the layers of rock on the canyon wall.
(c) Setting up seismic recorders.
(d) Going through an initiation ceremony.
11. Why is Joe Leaphorn restless?
(a) He has no new case to solve.
(b) He hasn't been sleeping well lately.
(c) He just retired from the Navajo Police Force
(d) He drank way too much coffee.
12. Who is Fred Sherman?
(a) Chee's ex-brother-in-law.
(b) An FBI agent on the diamond case.
(c) An ex-cop Chandler hires.
(d) Joanna's brother.
13. What animal in the story starts the whole cycle of change?
14. What does Shorty have inside a snuff can?
(a) A diamond.
(b) Some peyote.
(c) A pair of diamondback rattlers cut off the tail of a ten foot snake.
(d) Some ground sage.
15. What does Joe think is Joanna Craig's motivation?
(a) He has no idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only evidence at this point that Joanna has to prove her relationship to John Clarke?
2. Where does Cowboy ask Chee to go with him?
3. Who is Plymale?
4. Who unsuccessfully goes to see Billy Tuve?
5. Why can't Billy Tuve tell Cowboy and Jim what he is doing in the canyon when he gets the diamond?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)